Black Adam - The Rock is anti-Shazam

It’s only a problem if you watch the movie and it didn’t work - up until then, it’s nothing to worry about. :)

Well that looks GREAT.

I never thought I’d get to see my secret dream of a Justice Society of America movie become a reality.

(I especially never thought I’d get to see it become reality via a Black Adam movie, as in my day the two had nothing to do with each other.)

Just to illustrate how much WB is invested in Dwayne Johnson’s vision for his DC movie universe.

“When the first draft of the movie came to us, it was a combination of Black Adam and Shazam: Two origin stories in one movie,” Johnson recently told Vanity Fair. “Now that was the goal — so it wasn’t a complete surprise. But when I read that, I just knew in my gut, ‘We can’t make this movie like this. We would be doing Black Adam an incredible disservice.’ It would’ve been fine for Shazam having two origin stories converge in one movie, but not good for Black Adam.”

Johnson continued, “I made a phone call. I said, ‘I have to share my thoughts here. It’s very unpopular…’ because everybody thought, ‘Hey, this script is great, let’s go make this movie.’ I said, ‘I really think that you should make ‘Shazam!,’ make that movie on its own in the tone that you want. And I think we should separate this as well.’”

Warner Bros. ultimately agreed, and now Johnson is headlining the standalone “Black Adam” tentpole this fall.

Man, how crazy would it be if in the end Adam works with the JSA against a larger threat? That would be wild!

Sarcasm aside, that (apparently) formulaic setup could still make for a perfectly fun movie if it has other strengths. Might have a great cast—I am optimistic about Brosnan as Dr. Fate, good chemistry, impressive action, good writing, who knows? But the marketing and Johnson himself (and maybe that’s really the same thing) are really leaning on the “I’m no hero” anti-hero cliche and that had better not be the only hook.

Reviews are in, and it’s a mixed bag.

The Metacrtic average is pretty low too.

Amazing. This is another $185-$200 million budget movie with mediocre reviews for DC. Wonder if it will do well at the box office?

The correlation between critical score and box office is tenuous to begin with … and shakier still for movies with the Rock, I find. So who knows.

I suspect it’ll be along the lines of BvS or Justice League, i.e. solid/good opening weekend, but significant drop-off afterwards. It’ll break even, but it’s not the kind of performance and vibes you’d want for something that is supposed to be the big reboot of the DCEU.

Here’s a review of the reviews…

I love how accurate this thread title ended up being, lol.

I already had low expectations and my son wanted to “hang out with the boys and go see a movie” this Friday, so I was like, sure, let’s watch it.

The little movie theater down the street has one nice theater with a big screen, full Atmos setup, reclining seats, etc, and some smaller theaters. As one would guess, the main big blockbuster movie usually gets the nice theater and older/smaller movies are in the smaller screens.

So my surprise, as you likely predicted based on this thread and the above pre-amble, is that when I bought tickets for Black Adam, that even on opening day, it’s already in the smaller screen. The nice theater is playing Ticket to Paradise, the George Clooney / Julia Roberts flick.

Maybe it’s an audience demographic thing based on where I live or there’s some other reasoning, but even with lowered expectations, I went “yikes” as I bought the tickets. It’s not even out and this little theater is already giving the big screen to a rom-com (I think?) and dropped the Dwayne Johnson DC superhero action flick to the smaller “this is technically bigger than your home theater but not by much” setup.

I honestly haven’t seen a lot of hype for this. People talk more about Wakanda Forever than this and that has another month to go.

There were ads for it during football this weekend.

I’ve seen them. I just don’t see a lot of people online or in my life hyped up about this.

I liked Jeremy Jahns’ take on this movie:

“Is the movie perfect? No.
Is it polished? Absolutely not.
Is it fun? Fuck yeah”

The Rock sounds good as Black Adam.

I’m still in to go see it this week or next.

For some reason this trailer just doesn’t do anything for me at all. It should…the supporting characters should speak to me, even if Black Adam doesn’t really. But the trailer just doesn’t do anything for me.

Maybe I’ll catch it when it hits HBO. Maybe.

Based on reviews so far, I’m also in the watch this at home camp.