Black Friday 2022 tech deals

G15 Gaming Laptop | Dell USA

G15 Gaming Laptop | Dell USA

By the way, American Express is offer a 120.00 credit on purchases from Dell of 599.99 or more.

These should drop to 480.00 or so.

Neither has an AMD GPU, but one has a 3050 and the other a 3050ti, which is a big difference. Best Buy device is far superior for gaming. Otherwise about the same, 5600 vs 6600 is meaningless other than the iGPU which you won’t be using anyway.

Indeed, it’s nice to hear so much agreement on this. I’ve updated my credit card to get 3% cash back, and I will ALMOST certainly buy from Best Buy.

All the black friday deals on online courses:

Subscription deals on Evernote, Headspace, Rosetta Stone, MasterClass

I guess I’m really buying nothing this year for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Am I missing out on any super amazing deals?

Steam Deck dock deal: JSAUX 5-in-1 Docking Station Compatible with Steam Deck (HB0602) $29.99 + Free Desk Stand & Two Free Folding Stands

I used some professional development money (which unless I travel I never use all of in a year) to snag a one-year Pro sub to Codeacademy. Figure it will be fun to learn Python or something.

The U6H arrived today , for $300 this is one mighty impressive tv. Blacks are better than any of the other non-oled tv’s I have in the house. I believe its due to the dimming zones, which none of my previous tv’s had.

Still up for sale on Amazon if anyone is interested, but its back ordered, so it looks like deliveries are 3-4 weeks out.

The rtings review has once again been spot on.

What’s so unique about the U6H?

The 55" 2022 U8H is $998 in Canada on sale which seems like a lot.

That’s a mid to high end panel for Hisense, lots of dimming zones, and HDMI 2.1 And hence the higher price. I’d bet the screen quality / colors are almost the same though.

Hisense has upped its specs a bit with a new Mini LED backlight with up to 528 dimming zones and a slightly updated design. It comes with the user-friendly Google TV 11 interface, an upgraded version of the Android TV interface found on the 2021 Hisense lineup. It has a great selection of gaming features, including HDMI 2.1 bandwidth on two of its HDMI ports and FreeSync variable refresh rate support.

Yeah, my nephew threw an Occulus controller at my brother’s TV and broke it, apparently, while he had the headset on, so he was asking me which TV he should get.

I recommended the U8H, but sadly they seemed to be out of stock everywhere in KC. The closest I could find was in Omaha, Nebraska, their Best Buys had them. They were too popular here, I guess. So my brother ended up getting the Costco version of the U7H, which is not mini-LED, and therefore not as good. Still about the same price though, which stings. I wish they had built more of those U8H models.

I still haven’t seen firsthand what the benefits of “local dimming zones” and “mini LED” are so I admit I don’t know yet what those advantages are to justify such a price premium.

My rationale is streaming media is so imperfect that it really doesn’t seem to matter for me unless one is playing back 100% local BD media (haven’t done so for YEARS) or on a rock solid fiber connection which I don’t have.

Yeah the dimming zones are to help improve the black areas of the screen, and eliminate bloom.

But…

72olzk

Oddly, I hear people who say OLED is a dead end with finite lifespan consumable LEDs once mini LED adoption ramps up and lowers in cost?

That was probably me, but I was talking about micro-LED not mini, and that’s a couple years further out. That said any miniLED with 100 or so dimming zones looks pretty damn good at desktop monitor sizes and there’s no OLED anxiety.

MiniLED and even OLED monitors are just starting to go mainstream, I expect prices to drop dramatically before microLED becomes anywhere close to affordable. But once it does, OLED is obsolete, just like plasma.

1b338818e097f664b83a31fd2d507cdbe6d96a50090dbb7a111a116c646b6aa0-655962182

My router is dying. 2.4 GHz can’t seems to flicker, causing my Amazon Plugs to all stop working. This has not been an issue for my third party plugs, or the dots.

My twin 5.0 still work, but for how long?

So, I need something. I am thinking of going Mesh. The house isn’t large, but I work in the basement, and my Router gets down there, but isn’t the strongest.

With a mesh, I can do a better job of Hiding the routers from 2 year old hands.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/eero-Wi-Fi-6-IEEE-802-11ax-Ethernet-Wireless-Router/882037006?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_0r-WGi3qKxyNTECQ-LQSgTE0UkA08mU3PzG4Uk0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_10451&clickid=0r-WGi3qKxyNTECQ-LQSgTE0UkA08mU3PzG4Uk0&sharedid=&affiliates_ad_id=567111&campaign_id=9383

This was one idea.

But can it handle a dozen or more devices?

A dozen? With ease. Any modern router should be able to handle ~50 devices without any trouble.

Well, probably more like 2 dozen, But someone on the discord noted the seller is pretty much unknown.
So, I might step up into the next version on amazon.
Introducing Amazon eero 6+ dual-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 system, with built-in Zigbee smart home hub and 160MHz client device support (3-pack)

I just don’t think I will need those speeds yet.