Black Mesa Source

So apparently Black Mesa is scheduled to be released in a couple of weeks.

It isn’t finished.

On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core.

I can’t remember anymore the names, but it seems lambda core is just before reaching Xen. So it’s really almost the full game, and well, Xen was the weakest part!

Pretty excited for this, I might just wait till its complete though.

I’ve never played the first Half Life past the resonance chamber. So I have no idea what happens between that moment and the start of HL2 with Gordon on the train, lol.

Guess who just lost half his Gamer Cred Points™?

This may top that Thief 2 expansion as the longest to make fan content for a game.

At least they followed protocol in regards to Valve’s own release schedules.

Took a peek at the level list and this’ll give us 14 out of 18 where half of the remaining levels are boss fights. So there’s really not much left but the art assets for Xen are so different that it’ll be another 8 years before it’s finished.

I vote that we stake lordkosc.

Well for me the game ended when the space part started so it sounds perfect to me. I like to imagine that the offworld zen part never happened.

:o

I couldn’t take the horribad graphics of a 1998 game in 2007. Plus I was told Black Mesa Source was coming soon!

Stake me at will.

:(

No worries kosc! I’ll take some of the heat off of you:

I’ve never played HL1 past the same part as Kosc, never played HL2 at all, and have only played on match of TF2. Also only one match of L4D. I got stuck like halfway through Portal 1 and never finished it; never tried Portal 2 at all. I am the least Valve-aware gamer of all time.

That’s a lot of unfinished Valve games!

Yeah, pretty much. I never finished the Xen sequence. Didn’t feel like I missed anything. As well never finished the last room in Portal 1. I’m still half way through Portal 2, not sure if I’ll ever get back to it. I like the portal games, but I’m an old man with shitty twitch reflexes. Pass me that stake, mea culpa.

Last "room"in Portal 1 being…? Because depending on how you define it you played like 25% of Portal.

Wait, seriously? Cuz I was basing my “halfway through” stat on the like, 12 or 15 challenges you’re presented with to start with and me only getting to like the 8th one or something (where you had to shoot a portal to fly through as you jumped down from a height or something, I dunno). If there’s more shit after the numbered challenges finish, then thank God I didn’t try harder, because even the few levels I passed almost made me weep for my pathetic reflexes :(

It’s been a while but AFAIK it was the very last test chamber.

That’s the halfway point of the game. After that you
plot stuff

escape the test chambers and spend the rest of the game trying to portal your way out of the Aperture Science building from behind the scenes

As for Black Mesa I’ve been looking forward to it since it was announced. I’m glad they’re finally releasing something even if it isn’t the whole game.

I remember hating Xen the first time I played the game but upon subsequent plays I came to really appreciate it for how different it was from the rest of the game. Not many FPS games I played at the time (aside from that one secret level in Quake) had low gravity levels.

Damn, I didn’t know that. So yeah, I missed more than I thought. Sad face.

I don’t want to look down on you people but… the first 2/3 of Portal were basically a long tutorial!

/looks down

Hey it’s a fair cop. I’m not good at those kind of games. I love the concept. Just bad at the follow through. RTS games are like that for me. I never even considered playing Starcraft 2. I played the first one, but ultimately I hit a wall where I just wasn’t having fun anymore.