Black Mirror

There basically out of new ideas. The second episode is just another take on social media is bad and taking over people’s lives which they have done before.

Indeed. I think it would be better if Black Mirror became a bit more grounded and did some episodes that follow the logical conclusions to existing scary tech: e.g. China’s social credit trials, mass government surveillance, deepfakes, many more companies and governments soon having the ability to send whatever they want into low earth orbit, and self-driving cars being guided by opaque neural networks.

They could start every episode with “This is (unfortunately) based on a true story”, and if done well could get people not familiar with the above to say “huh? is that true?” and then look it up.

Combine AI with self driving cars. There’s a potentially fun episode. Steven King’s Christine for the 21st century.

That was Nosedive.

Latest season was not well reviewed. Is it worth watching in your opinion?

I watched season one. And, man, well done but hard to watch. The Entire History of You in particular. They followed through where others may have pulled a punch, but bleak is understating it.

I think that depends on how much free time you have. If you have nothing else to do, sure. If you had the choice between the last season and some known exceptional TV/movie, then I’d say hell no.

The last season of black mirror is the first season I thought was non-esssential.

Wow, I had kinda assumed we were done with Black Mirror. Happy to have it back!

Didn’t watch season 5 at all.

Show kind of jumped the shark for me with Metalhead.

Looks like they got loads of people in this season though. It has been what, 4 years since season 5?

Felt like this had already run its course, and the trailer leans hard into the outright horror vibe (which was certainly present, but not prevalent) which doesn’t make me excited either, but there’s always a chance it could be great. I’ll just wait and see what the buzz is like after it’s released.

Coming in two weeks, for those that don’t want to watch a trailer.

No one watched the latest season?

It leans more into horror…but the first episode is meta as fuck.

The one with Salma Hayek? My wife and I watched it and we really enjoyed it. It was so crazy.

Crazy good. And scary. Soon-to-be real scary.
I’ve watched the first two.
Netflix is now embedding itself into the narrative.

I wanted to see more of the Cate Blanchett version but all we get is a screen shot.

I’m very curious why they have the Netflix logo in-universe but they had to call it Streamberry.

Thanks for the reminder. Watched the first two episodes and I thought the first was excellent with a surprisingly positive ending for Black Mirror. The second episode… eh. It was fine but didn’t have that Black Mirror tech dystopia hook.

My hope is this leads to a Black Museum-esque episode where they take down Streamberry and didn’t want to use the Netflix name for that reason. Given two of the last three episodes are set in the past I’m not hopeful and it’s probably some boring reason like future licensing or brand protection.

I’m sure it’s brand protection, but why have the logo then?