Black Panther - Marvel's Wakandan Avenger

February 16th, 2018.

Ryan Coogler directing is official.

“We are fortunate to have such an esteemed filmmaker join the Marvel family,” said producer Kevin Feige. “The talents Ryan showcased in his first two films easily made him our top choice to direct ‘Black Panther.’ Many fans have waited a long time to see Black Panther in his own film, and with Ryan we know we’ve found the perfect director to bring T’Challa’s story to life.”

Chadwick Boseman will play Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War first as well as in the separate movie.

Nice addition to their list of directors.

At some point Marvel/Disney and Feige have got to stumble and release a dud. But I’m not certain which one it’ll be. No early buzz yet on Dr Strange, Cap 3 is by the team that did Cap 2, so I’m confident for it being good. Maybe the collaboration on the Spidey pic will be the change to their formula that causes a stumble.

I sure hope Panther isn’t the dud. This and the Captain Marvel film are the two I’m most looking forward to of the gazillions of MCU films.

I hope Dr Strange isnt the dud. They have a helluva cast and it fills a spot mostly ignored so far by Marvel movies so it should be quite unique. Unique can be a tough sell though, so hopefully the cast can bring people into Dr. Strange’s fantastical universe. I was a big fan of the Dr. Strange comics as a kid and really hope they can pull this one off. I never got into Black Panther comics so I really dont know much about the character. I think that its good that he will have a defining role in Civil War because a b list minority superhero needs a bit of exposure first to really draw people to the theatre. Without the exposure in Civil War, I think Black Panther may have had trouble finding its footing. Smart move on Marvels part.

I thought the duds were Antman and Iron Man 2 (at least comparatively).

Well financially I think Iron Man 2 was still pretty huge, and Ant-man is still only “not as good” compared to other Marvel movies (and it still surpassed several of the earlier films). Neither is what I’d call a dud.

Financially speaking, I don’t think any of the Marvel Studios made ones has lost money or even been barely profitable.

Ant-man, for example, made 180M (US)/339M (Foreign) with a 130M production budget (probably 100M or so more for promotion). Home sales probably made a fair chunk of change more, too.

If I were a betting man, I would bet on Captain Marvel being the dud. The character doesn’t really have an iconic run/storyline/antagonist. (Except the Starlin run, and obviously Thanos is being used for other things.) Not to mention a bunch of different characters have taken the name.

Of course Ant-man had all the same problems and more, and they were able to mostly fix them, so who knows.

I certainly wouldn’t bet against Doctor Strange. It’s basically Harry Potter as a superhero action movie, starring Sherlock Holmes. No reason it shouldn’t make boatloads of money.

Struggling back on topic, I sure hope Black Panther isn’t the dud. He was always one of my faves as a kid. I mean, he’s basically Batman, except that instead of being a mere billionaire he had a whole freaking kingdom.

Yeah, if there’s a dud it’ll likely be Captain Marvel. That character has never even been able to sell a comic for long, and she’s kind of a poor girl’s supergirl. But it all depends upon the quality of the writing and other production values.

I really hope Dr Strange is full Ditko crazy. It seems like Marvel is finally getting more comfortable with that fantastical aspects of comics.

I’ve always thought Black Panther was a bit embarrassing as a character, from an era when Marvel didn’t do a very good job with non-white characters, and unlike Luke Cage (who had a really goofy blacksploitation era origin) he hasn’t been effectively modernized. I’m curious how the Marvel movie will focus on the character - hopefully they’ll go full-Wakanda and more epic than just having him fight street crime.

Yeah, I’ve got to admit that I always kind of wince when I see that character mentioned, and for the exact same reasons. Even the name seems like a terrible (and dated) pun.

That said, the movie writers have a great track record and so I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Curious, have either of you checked out Christopher Priest’s run? That, for me, has added and established the “Batman as a recognized monarch” perspective to his character. On of Priest’s retcons was to establish that the reason Black Panther joined the Avengers in the first place was to assess firsthand how much of a threat they are to Wakanda. Plus there’s a moment where BP, Doom and Namor discuss going into detente.

Part of the concept for that run is that the reader’s perspective is provided by a Priest-invented character Everett Ross, a US State Dept. liaison assigned to King T’Challa.

Plus, the below “drop the mic” line during Secret War is something that would be great to see on-screen.

I never read any of the BP comics. He was a pretty good character in the Avengers cartoon from a few years back, though, and more importantly I played him a bunch in Marvel Heroes. That’s been enough to make me want to see him on the big screen.

Only the secret war stuff and maybe some other crossover content - really didn’t like it - found it juvenile and simplistic.

For what it’s worth, if you didn’t know, the real-life Black Panther group copied the name of the character, not the other way around.

That run defined the modern version of the character. Sold badly, constantly teetered on the edge of cancellation, but re-defined the character the same way Miller did with Daredevil.

Oh wow. That does change things a bit. From Wikipedia:

The Black Panther’s name predates the October 1966 founding of the Black Panther Party, though not the black panther logo of the party’s predecessor, the Lowndes County Freedom Organization, nor the segregated World War II Black Panthers Tank Battalion

I honestly don’t know much about the character, just (apparently mistaken) impressions.

Tin’s wiki quote makes it all mixed up. Sounds more like convergent evolution than either copying the other. If the Black Panther Party’s logo was already what it was, seems pretty natural to go with that name and people were probably already calling them that to some degree, based on the logo.

Why is anyone hyped about this here? He is one of the dullest Marvel creations.

Lucky for you you don’t have to watch the film, fancy that…