Black Panther - Marvel's Wakandan Avenger

Kinda strange huh.

Or as I like to think of is, comic book convenience because we need those weapons later to save Earth!.

Wouldn’t every superhero suddenly be sporting Wakanda tech? Even archer boy could have a whole suit made of the material to protect his fragile human bits.

Didn’t upgrade to Iron Man suits, why would they upgrade to Black Panther ones?

It would be a much simpler upgrade to go from a normal outfit to a Black Panther type suit. You could literally dress the same. Check out the picture upthread of Cap, BW and the Winter Soldier. They are all dressed in a Black Pantherish looking material.

Sorry, not upthread. In the Infinity War thread. On second look I doubt WS is wearing BP tech. Baggy pants.

That is 100% Cap’s Avengers (Age of Ultron/Civil War) suit with the star ripped off, and maybe it hasn’t been washed for a while. We don’t know if he’s been in Wakanda the whole time, or if he left to do his own thing after leaving Bucky in their care. The trailer kinda hints at the latter (BP welcoming Rogers back).

Why would Shuri start churning out Black Panther style suits for a bunch of ex-Avengers when their own armies don’t even wear that tech? It seems likely they’re reluctant to give their most state of the art combat gear to outsiders, even someone like Rogers who’s earned T’Challa’s trust.

Why wouldn’t Wakanda put their own army in BP tech suits? What kind of country is it that won’t share it’s tech with it’s people.

I don’t even remember what the point of this debate is. I don’t know man, watch the movies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry. I am just trolling now. :)

Saw this finally. It was entertaining but man, so underwhelming after all the hype.
Special effects and cinematography were very good, acting was good, set design, all good.

But overall, it was just a slightly above average comic book film. The last quarter of the film is where I lost interest. I did not believe the villain’s motive - he seemed too one-dimensional. Sure, his dad is taken from him at a young age and he is hurt and angry but to go from that to wanting to take over Wakanda?

And this bothered me:

It’s obviously not intentional but this almost reads like: here is this black/African nation with advanced science and technology…but they’re still savages.

It’s nearly the same thing with Killmonger: young black man grows up to graduate from MIT and join the CIA…but at the end he’s just another angry black man who solves things with brawn and violence. I mean, here is someone so violent and cold blooded he has no issue with killing a bunch of innocent people at an art gallery.

And he wanted so badly to kill T’chala…why? He had nothing to do with his father’s death. That made no sense.

It’s a comic book film, I know, not everything makes sense and comics are filled with one-dimensional villains and heroes.

Still, I think ultimately it was the pacing in the last third of the film that nearly ruined it for me. Giving more screen time to Killmonger and maybe revealing more about his past or giving him more of a reason to want to kill Black Panther and take over the throne would have improved the film. Or making him appear more intelligent, thoughtful, and not just some angry thug from the hood. Last third just felt rushed.

I’ve fallen into watching this show called “Hot Ones” on youtube. The premise of the show is that this interviewer dude named Sean Evans sets up ten hot sauced wings, lined up in increasing orders of Scoville level (spiciness), and he interviews a celebrity while they both eat the wings. It’s strangely alluring.

This is probably my favorite. I’ve loved Michael B. Jordan for some time, but dang, now I really really love him on this show where he is promoting Black Panther.

-xtien

Oh cool, I saw him do that with Key and Peele, I didn’t know it was a recurring thing.

Yea, the movie has a bunch not-good tropes. But overall is deemed positive by some people. I dunno.

I think the idea is supposed to be “savages by who’s measure”? Maybe it’s just a cultural thing and the whole idea of savages is wrong?

Some guy waltzes in and defeats your ruler in arena combat. Welp. I guess he’s the ruler now.

Wakanda would never be ruled by Donald Trump – he’d be terrible in a fight. Wakanda 1, US 0.

Well and part of the point of the movie is Wakanda needed to change. Their wholly isolationist approach did not lead to perfection and created a disadvantage at some point most of them did not recognize.

The women in this film were important, kicked butt, and had conversations that weren’t just about some guy. That’s enough to make it notable as a film, much less one in the Marvel Universe. I enjoyed it a lot.

I agree. The entire movie was about how their traditions were outdated and wound up almost destroying them. Everyone knew Kilmonger was a shitty king, would be a disaster as Black Panther, but no one did anything about it and they all followed him because The Laws. I’ve heard this story somewhere before.

Yeah, so liberated they could be anything they wanted, except run the country. That’s a job for dudes only.