Black Panther - Marvel's Wakandan Avenger

I agree and I also think it’s a missed opportunity to experiment somewhere, since they could trivially retcon it if it bombs.

What, comic books retconning things! Never!

I’m guessing because it took them so long to get Coogler to sign on? He apparently didn’t sign on until this week, and it makes sense they would hold out until he was on board.

Yeah, but is Tom Holland even in it? Now that Peter Parker is ashed, maybe his friend Ned is the next Spider-Man. We have no way of knowing!

-Tom

My cousin’s girlfriend’s mom said that her cubemate at work answered a casting call for the new Spiderman and saw the producers congratulating Christopher Walken about something. Take that as you will, but I know that ol C-Walk’s gonna be the next Spidey!!!

I’d pay to see that.

Finally saw this. Watched it with my wife. As is our Marvel tradition, she enjoyed it a lot and I hated it.

I’m disappointed because of all the praise this movie got (and because he was the only thing I really liked about whatever Capt America movie he was in), and I thought I’d finally click with all this MCU stuff everybody else loves so much. But nope, aside from the armored rhinos the movie was a big bore, with shitty CGI fight scenes, and yet another damn villain that’s really just a re-skin of the main hero.

I’ll be over here sulking.

Have you ever thought perhaps superhero flicks just aren’t your thing?

That said, I agree the final showdown was an awful CGI mess.

I love certain superhero movies:
Blade 1 (not the others)
Deadpool 1 (not 2)
Logan
X-men 2
Spider Man 2 (Toby version)
Unbreakable
Kick Ass
The Crow

I “like” a whole lot more, notably:
X-Men 1
Wonder Woman
Spiderman 1 (Toby Version)
Batman Begins & Dark Knight
Watchmen
Iron Man 1 (alithough the enemy was another Iron Man)
Robocop

And There’s even more I can tolerate (a few MCU titles are here, like Capt America 2 & 3), but for the most part I just can’t get into the MCU stuff. The worst of these movies are the GOTG movies (2 especially), but I haven’t seen them all (only seen first Avenger film, no new Spiderman etc).

I’m fine with the genre, but man I just don’t feel the MCU stuff hardly at all. And everything I did actually like about Avengers 1 is apparently just a joke to everybody else (the Bow & Arrow guy and his kinship with ScarJo’s character, I’d love a movie with just them palling around).

Watched this again last night after the news broke. It was even better the second time.

I was coming to say the same thing. I’ve only seen it once, in the theaters when it released 2.5 years ago. I enjoyed it more the 2nd time, felt more empathy for Killmonger’s arc this time.

ABC will be airing Black Panther (ad free) tonight to honor Chadwick Boseman.

So I’ve been thinking about it and my hope is that Marvel decides to just recast.

There’s not a right or wrong way to handle this, you could also write T’Challa’s death into the next film. Both have advantages and drawbacks.

But speaking personally, I don’t think it would be in any way a slight to Boseman to recast, and I think Jonathan Majors from Lovecraft Country would be great in the role. It would be a mistake to try to cast based on how well someone can do a Boseman impression, you just need someone with the right gravitas and energy, and from the few episodes of Lovecraft Country alone I think Majors could pull it off.

If they decide instead to address it in the narrative, I say swing big: use Dr. Strange and the Madness of the Multiverse to rewrite the “prime” MCU timeline with a redeemed Michael B. Jordan’s Erik Killmonger in the role.

Or alternatively have the next movie open with the funeral and then Shuri can assume the mantle.

This is where I suspect it goes. The Black Panther is a title, not a person, so they have an in universe justification and answer. Go ahead and use that.

That dude definitely needs his own action franchise, doesn’t he? He’d be a great Black Panther, or a great Thor, or a great James Bond, or a great Mad Max. I can’t wait to see where his career goes (Jurnee Smollett, too, although she didn’t make much of an impression on me in the Harley Quinn movie).

But I can’t imagine Disney is going to recast T’Challa. My guess is that they’ll usher Letitia Wright into the role, which I’d really like to see, assuming she can bring some gravitas that her character hasn’t had yet. I’d hate to see Black Panther turn into another relatively lightweight Spider-Man coming-of-age superhero.

-Tom

I mean that could be a cool character arc right there. Someone with great prestige and ability, but very little responsibility, being forced to deal with that change.

I saw on one of the Hollywood rumor sites that this is Marvel’s plan for the franchise. Nothing confirmed but it seems likely.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/shuri-reportedly-mcus-black-panther/

Sounds interesting, to me, but I do share Tom’s concern: I don’t think the MCU needs another coming of age story. It does need a strong, Black voice and a regal, thoughtful ruler. I hope they can get the Shuri character to fill those roles. I also hope they don’t turn her into young, hip Iron Man, messing with gadgets all day.

How old was her character supposed to be?

That sound you heard was millions of incels shrieking in rage.

Shuri is a lot more light-hearted and a bit impish than T’challa but with dome decent writing, her character can gravitate to a more serious superhero, especially since they have the death of her brother to help get her there. T’challa’s death, handled well, could drive the plot of the next movie and give Shuri the gravitas that you desire. I do think that Letitia Wright was the surprise “breakout” star of the first Black Panther and is popular with the fans so this could be a very good move for Disney/Marvel, in light of Boseman’s untimely death.