Black Panther - Marvel's Wakandan Avenger

So, the villain’s speciality/power once again is a variation of the main protagonist’s?

It’s almost as if this movie was based on a comic book.

At least from what I can glean from the trailer, I think the true conflict is more about the future of Wakanda, and the different philosophies of the two characters, rather than the physical fight. Which is fine with me.

Currently at 45/45 on RT

The critics seem very happy! I was reminded with The Last Jedi that things that please critics don’t always please me, but I am pretty optimistic here.

The Kendrick Lamar soundtrack dropped yesterday. This will be the only Marvel movie with memorable music. I’ve never understood why they went so generic for all the other films, but I’m glad they went all in on this one.

I will never understand you Iron Man 3 haters.

GotG had a great soundtrack. I also think the Avengers theme is pretty memorable. Not classic, but I like it.

The Guardians made great use of classic rock era songs, but didn’t have much in the way of memorable original music; none of them have really excelled there. I remember the main refrain from the Avengers, but it’s not an all time great or anything.

I’m curious to see how much of this Kendrick Lamar album is actually in the movie.

Any movie that kicks off with a 10cc song has a great soundtrack. :)

One of my closest friends, and my one fellow comic book nerd who still collects, came over to my house one time years ago, probably early last decade, and I just happened to be listening to “I’m Not in Love” and he’d never heard it before and scowled at me over it. So when young Peter was listening to that song I started laughing, knowing my friend would also be seeing the movie opening weekend.

The shit… seems to be from a bull.

It’s honestly not far from the truth. The Avenger’s theme may immediately remind me of the movie when I hear it, but I can’t bring it to mind right now, even though I’ve watched them all several times.

Iron Man - Can’t think of it, unless it’s the one by Black Sabbath.

Captain America - I got nothing.

Hulk - Is there one?

Thor - I remember both Immigrant Song and In The Face of Evil from the Ragnarok trailer, and…that’s it.

Spiderman - I remember the one from the Tobey MaGuire series, but that was two reboots ago so it doesn’t count.

X-Men - Same. I remember X2’s theme, but that’s not even the current Marvel film universe,

Compare that to Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy. I can immediately bring to mind Hans Zimmer’s Batman and Joker themes. Hell, I can even remember Danny Elfman’s theme from the 1989 Batman movie even though I haven’t seen it in forever.

The most telling thing though is that I can recall the recent Wonder Woman theme…and I haven’t even seen her movie.

For what it’s worth I love the Marvel films, and either haven’t seen or have no interest in seeing any of the DC movies (with the exception of the aforementioned Batman flicks, and I did watch Batman v Superman and disliked it greatly).

^this, all of it.

Marvel films are workmanlike and generic with their music. Though, to be fair, it is a problem not relegated to Marvel films.

This does a pretty good job explaining the issue, for what it is

The second video is just examples of the form, if you want to skip. But it does drive home the point.

Thor: Ragnarok disagrees.

Thor Ragnarok has the most memorable music is licensed. Same for Guardians.

But aside from that, can you recall any of the songs in T:R? They weren’t bad, just bland.

But that Immigrants Somg scene was impeccable.

Okay, someone did remind me of Guardians of the Galaxy last night, which I still don’t have in my head as a Marvel movie because it’s been off in its own world until the new Avengers thing.

I’ll have to revise it to best original soundtrack. (And I don’t really consider moments like Iron Man’s entrance to Back in Black in the first Avengers to be soundtrack moments anyway.)

But there’s an easy test here. Compare Marvel to Star Wars. No contest. It’s as bad as The Matrix versus Fury Road. They just didn’t pour the same amount of effort into the music.

Talking about the OST, no licensed tracks on it? The title track is excellent, also the Ragnarok suite. Others too, but I’ve not paid attention to the track names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor:Ragnarok(soundtrack)

Watching the Avengers 3 trailer for the first time, when their score kicked in I had to smile because it evoked fond memories of the first film.

Man, I genuinely, no joke, envy you guys who can remember things like film scores, etc.

I have almost no sensory memory whatsoever–sight, taste, smell, sound, etc.–so only things I’ve experienced repeatedly and constantly can be recalled at all, and even then, it’s fragmented, broken, and very inaccurate.

Which is to say that the only “themes” I especially remember are probably all from Star Wars, and even then, it’s only a couple bars each from the title theme, “Imperial March,” and “Duel of the Fates.” Actually, wait, no, actually trying now, I don’t remember what “Duel of the Fates” sounds like in terms of notes anymore. I know it’s got choral stuff and is epic and has quiet parts and louder parts, but can’t construct anything approaching a melody in my head.

My brain fucking sucks.

Anyway, that’s all a long way of saying how the fuck do you people remember the Avengers theme? Was there even music in that movie? I’m sure there wasn’t.

Not even stuff like Conan, Robocop, Predator, Starship Troopers, Inception, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean? Movies where you’re supposed to notice the music?

I’m vaguely aware of the BWAMMMMMM shit that Inception introduced to every movie trailer ever. I remember that Conan’s soundtrack is by a fellow with a name I can’t spell that definitely doesn’t resemble Basil Polodouris and includes a lot of low brass notes. That’s about it from your list.

I’m with Armando. If you played “Anvil of Crom” for me right now, I would recognize that it came from Conan, but I can’t dredge up the melody despite having it constantly on my iPod back in the days where people commonly had iPods.

Likewise, Pirates of the Caribbean – I’m sure I would recognize it if you played it for me; though I probably couldn’t tell you which of the seven-odd Pirates movies it might have come from.

Now, see, Pirates I think absolutely has a distinct sound and soundtrack. With some personality.

I’ll type more when I’m not on a phone, with some examples, but there are two general trends, and Pirates and Avengers fall in opposite sides of it.