Black Panther - Marvel's Wakandan Avenger

The engine Ultron built under Slovakia was also made of vibranium.

Sounds to me like Wakanda hasn’t been securing their secret stash very well.

I think Caps shield is technically an unknown vibranium alloy, which they’re unable to replicate.

Comic book Captain America’s shield is a vibranium/adamantium alloy. MCU Captain America’s shield is just vibranium, because Sony, via the X-Men, holds exclusive cinematic rights to adamantium.

You mean Fox, not Sony. Which is now owned by Disney too, so maybe that’ll change

Ah yes, correct.

That hasn’t actually gone through, has it?

I don’t think so, but it’s just some logistics - there’s a signed agreement, and they have the requisite approvals locked up, but there are some corporate governance hoops to get through.

Yeah, barring some antitrust or other measure holding it up at the government level, it does seem pretty well a forgone thing.

Certainly deals can fall apart at any point until the ink is dry, but there are realistically very few things to prevent it at this point. So unless the state of the deal was greatly misrepresented then sometime in 2018 it’ll be official.

I went in with high expectations, based on early reports.

The movie exceeded them. It is by far my favorite Marvel film.

I didn’t really enjoy it. Having seen all the Marvel movies except Ragnarok I think maybe I am getting a little be bored of the universe. The story really was pants, telegraphed and boring. It was all quite dark especially the fight scenes making it difficult at times to see much. I am struggling to see what BP brings to the fight in all honesty it felt like a James Bond movie with all the tech and set up.

Wakanda itself was great and so was most of the acting.

I thought it was a 6/10 movie and while I know they won’t move from this tried and tested formula I would really like one of the movies to step outside and really go for a decent storyline rather than the same old tropes.

That deal is a long ways from being done. There’s far from any guarantee it happens or doesn’t include concessions if it does.

I feel like giving Angela Basset white hair was a subtle nod from the director that she should have been storm in the xmen movies. But maybe I’m projecting a little.

Kid and I both really enjoyed it. Really, the only part I didn’t like was the fight at the end on the maglev track. (After the stupid-long fall that no suit would protect you against unless it had Star Trek inertial dampeners in it.) If I never see two CGI characters fight again, I’ll be a happy person. It’s just boring, especially when you know who has to win.

I watched this yesterday as well and think it’s one of the better Marvel movies - probably somewhere in the top 5.

I do feel like that the Killmonger arc was cut way too short though - I wonder if the story could’ve been better told as a TV series where there is a longer time period between when Killmonger usurps the throne and T’Challa wins it back so you can see Wakanda initially coming up to the world stage in a negative light and he has to clean the country’s image as well. Maybe this is a theme they’ll explore in a future movie

I think there is something going on where certain moves done by a CG character get labelled “impossible” by my brain, and it makes the CG look fake. I don’t know if it’s not respecting physics or what, but some parts of the fight scenes look great and other ones look like when I was 10 playing out scenes with GI Joe action figures.

I don’t know why my brain will accept Hulk smashing through a building but not Black Panther making some particular leap.

This guy was denied a ticket for some reason.

The wife and I call them ‘Yeah right’ moments. No matter how over the top a movie is, there comes a scene where one or both of us will say, “Yeah, right!” An example was Iron Man 3. Rhodey on the hanging freight container threatened by extremis guys. He shoots the cables on one side and hangs off of the end while the container WHIPS around, and then he catapults to the hanging president. All the rest of the big fight and that got on my nerves.

Clear example of Green Privilege