Black Sails - Starz New Golden Age of Pirates series

They’re only up to episode two. To be honest, it feels like the main story hasn’t really kicked in yet. I’d say it’s still in the “meet and greet” phase of the plot. I’m hoping that they’ll concentrate on the dynamic behind the creation of an empire of pirates rather than a pirate chasing a ship full of gold. It seems like Flint wants the latter to fund the former, at least.

I will say that the music behind this show is fantastic. The opening theme alone gives me chills when I hear it.

Well no wonder, it’s Bear Fucking McCreary

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-sails-starz-original/id797010711

Now I HAVE to watch it.

Music reminds me of Firefly

I am NOT going to do a Google Image Search on that. No thanks.

Let me help you.

Yes I know who he is but you said… You see…

Ah nevermind.

What? Wait…ooh…oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh…

I didn’t post much attention while watching did they mention the island’s name?

Michael Bay!!

I thought they said Providence Island in Nassau.

This show makes me realize how badly I want there to be a good pirate show. This isn’t it but the carrot on a stick is just close enough to my face to keep my attention a little bit more.

No, that’s Cinemax. Starz is Cinemax’s seedier downmarket cousin. See Banshee, for example. Now there’s a show with plenty of both violence and boobs, but it’s crazy enough, brutal enough, hot enough, and just generally pulpy enough to be really entertaining and there’s actually some interesting subtler notes and smart bits amidst the bombast. As of the one episode I’ve seen so far, Black Sails isn’t managing to compete in any of the above, whereas Banshee hooked me immediately. But to be fair, it was still far more entertaining and less cringe-inducing than the first episode of Spartacus.

Banshee is ridiculous, over the top and just plain dumb at time…

…but good lord, i will not miss a single episode.

I could sit and watch Kai Proctor and Job discuss the weather for 60 minutes alone.

4 Episodes and they are still in land, if there isn’t some hot ship-on-ship action in the next 2 episodes ill stop watching it :|

My thoughts exactly. Way too much filler in this series.

Me too, I was thinking “yes a ship!” and then it spent the whole episode on a beach.

4 eps in and I am starting to like the cast more, but the show needs more ship time and more death as mentioned by you fine folk above me.

I liked that the crew’s major concern was not where to beach and clean the boat, but if there would be a F**k tent. :)

I’m dubious that a human leg can be severed in that short a time span. Can we get someone with experience on this to chime in?

So finally some ship on ship action and… one of the ships never fires its cannons…

Yeah this is the most boring pirate show ever.

Something that confused me, wasn’t mutton chops given control over sulky captain’s ship? What happened to that?

I thought it was kind of neat with the sniping tactic. Probably a bit far fetched, but still fun.

The show isn’t living up to the hype, but I’m still having some fun with it. For some reason, I’ve started liking Vale. I wasn’t fond of the character at first, but the gruff voice and the brooding is starting to work for him.