Blade Runner

Why oh why did I not buy this game years ago? Blade Runner is pure adventure game magic. The multiple paths and detective work are great. A friend of mine borrowed it and when we discussed the game we were both constantly surprised how many different approaches to the game there truly are. My friend shot Lucy, for instance. Something that didn’t even enter my mind as a possibility.

I’m trying for a pro-replicant ending on my second play-through. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

I also have a good reason to rent the movie now. Before I hear the lot of you scream in protest that there is always a reason to watch classic movies I’ll say this. I aint a movie geek, nor do I watch much TV. I have a hard time with the non-stop format of TV/movies, I prefer books and games because then I can manage my own time.

Been a while since I played, but yeah–good game.

Rent the Director’s Cut of Blade Runner, BTW. It’s much better than the theatrical release.

I actually liked Ford’s narration in the theatrical release. The ending in the Directors cut is better though.

I didn’t like it–not because it was poorly done (I loved the movie the first time I saw it, with the narration), but because after watching the Director’s Cut it’s apparent how completely unnecessary it was. Eliminating it heightens the mood of the film, I though, as well.

Actually still trying to find this game at used stores and such.

— Alan

I actually like the movie release better than the director’s cut… Ford’s narration gives the movie a hard boiled edge, which I really like. It does hit-you-over-the-head, but his voice was cool enough.

etc

Although I prefer the Director’s Cut overall, I have to agree that Ford’s voiceover gave the initial release some kind of 30/40’s detective story flair that fit the setting perfectly. It wasn’t really needed, though.

I just found this game at Babbage’s in St. Louis for $1, and I will load it as soon as I can clear some space on my hard drive.

“The multiple paths and detective work are great”

Yeah, the sheer plot coherence - especially when your idiot partner guns a guy down and spends the rest of the game trying to work out whether you murdered him - is truly an example to us all.

The Director’s Cut is the better version in retrospect, but it only works that way because we had the narrative in the theatrical release, so we have the benefit of remebering the plot exposition imparted in the voiceover without having to endure it again.

Graphically, is Bladerunner still “nice” to look at?

I find myself becoming more and more a graphics snob. If the graphics are not atleast standard for the time I find it difficult to play the game.

Hrm… It’s been a while for me but from what I remember the characters are pixilated blobs (the closer they got the worse it looked) but the backgrounds are flat out gorgeous.

It used some sort of voxel technoligy IIRC.

Damn!!! I had written a long post - but took to long before posting, and I had to log in again - the post was lost! :(

But was just a retro-rample - so no-one will miss it! :)

I’ll look at my Blade Runner box, and see if it should be that or Ultima VIII I’ll be playing when getting home from work!

I picked Blade Runner up for about $5 a few years back, and still load it up from time to time. It stands as an interesting, remarkably ambitious game, and at one time or another I would’ve probably raved about it’s greatness. In retrospect, however, it’s pretty obvious how borked the randomized narrative pathing is…sometimes, you hit a (puzzle) wall, other times, the plot becomes completely and utterly incoherent. In the end, I’d rather Westwood had focused on a longer, more structured narrative, sacrificing innovation, non-linearity and “replay value” in favor of a more satisfying, involving gameplay experience.

Still, as the last gasp of big budget adventure gaming (Grim Fandango - a true masterpiece - aside) it could’ve been a lot lot worse.

Finally got mine off of Ebay the other day for $9 including shipping.

Ugh, when am I gonna have the time to play it? :)

— Alan

Here’s an amusing tidbit (semi-spoiler maybe) about the game.

There is a varying chance that certain characters will or won’t be replicants. However, I seem to remember an interview with the devs where they revealed that the protagonist’s identity (as a human/replicant) is based upon your actions only and is not set beforehand. That’s a bit of smoke and mirrors to make sure that you always get the “happy” ending. Personally, I always thought that was a bit of a copout, but I guess it makes sense from a “reward the player” perspective. Of course, I may be remembering this erroneously…

• Alan

There are different endings based on whether you are or aren’t a replicant, however, and I don’t remember all of them being particularly happy. It is true that player actions define which ending you get, though it’s not an obvious process. The replicant ending is really tough to pull off without a walkthrough, for instance.

ScummVM working on Blade Runner compatibility.
I didn’t realise this was so hard to get running these days. I replayed it not that long ago, I’m pretty sure on a Windows 10 machine.

I bought this game on disc years ago from a bargain bin. I never got around to playing it though. And now I’m not sure where the box with all those discs went. I do remember installing it briefly and being disappointed that the characters looked like pixelated blobs on beautiful backgrounds.