Blitz: The League

How is it? I want it to be good, but I just don’t know.

I played some multi-player tonight with a friend. We had a good time, and a lot of laughs. The dirty hits are hilarious and the gameplay seems solid.

I’m not console football game expert, in fact just the opposite, but I really enjoyed myself. This is the first sports game I’ve bought in ages and I have no regrets.

/Eph

Since this thread isn’t getting much attention, please allow me to semi-divert it with a question.

Quite awhile ago I was reading a gaming magazine (possible CGW, it was a few years ago) article on one of those pre-Superbowl console football game matchups. They had one player from each of that year’s Superbowl teams play Madden 200x (2002, perhaps? It’s all fuzzy), each with their “team”.

I don’t remember who the teams were, or who the players were who were playing, but one thing stuck in my memory: Both of them always went for the two point conversion after a touchdown. Always. And to them this made some sort of sense. I’m not sure I understand the strategy, but it struck me as memorable, I guess.

Let’s fast forward to October 18, 2005. I pick up a copy of Blitz, the first console football game I’ve purchased in, well… ever, I think. So, last night I messed around with the “always going for two points” concept while playing a friend online. And it paid off in our first game. I ended up winning 8 - 7. Didn’t really help me very much in our second game, I coughed up the ball frequently and he drubbed me easily.

This morning, he rags on me for doing the two point conversion thing. He says it’s cheap, and that it saps the realism. He says he’s going to always go into a cover 2 defence on me now after a TD and that he’s going to feel cheap beating me 14 - 12 due to all my missed attempts. Me? I say that if this was Madden, I wouldn’t be doing it. Madden is more of a football simulation, Blitz is supposed to be goofy, over the top, and fun. So I’m going to play it in a light hearted way. I don’t think realism should be a guiding principle in a game where you get X-ray closeups of the crippling “dirty hits” you lay down on opposing players.

Am I being an idiot here? Does he have a point? Should I try to play more ‘realistically’? All opinions are welcome!

/Eph

No, you should play the game you’re playing. If you can get away with something unrealistic, that’s the game’s fault, not yours. It isn’t your job to make the game realistic.

That said, if this is like the Blitz of old, it isn’t Midway’s job to make the game realistic either. Although if you ended a game 8-7, you better have been playing fifteen second quarters or that doesn’t bode well for people who, like me, are looking for a new Blitz game, not some god damned sim with Blitz controls.

We were playing 2 minute quarters.

The game ended with such a pitifully low score because it was my first attempt at playing Blitz: The League, and my friend’s second. Oh, and I hadn’t even glanced at the manual.

We bumped up the time to 5 minute quarters in our next matchup, and our skills (read as knowledge of the controls) had increased to the point where the scores jumped significantly. I think the final score for our second game was 51 - 26 or something along those lines.

To be honest, I’ve played older Blitzes, and this game is much more of a simulation (as opposed to pure arcade football goodness) than they were, but it’s definitely still Blitz. Between the Turbo and the Clash, you won’t be fooled into thinking this is Madden. And watching your receiver’s spine getting snapped in a slow-mo X-ray view replay is gold.

The running game is tough, but the passing game is pretty straightforward and easy to pick up. I definitely need more time with the control scheme, it’s not immediately accessible.

Yeah, I think in a game where you can remove your helmet (or maybe it was the ballcarrier’s helmet) and club the ball carrier with it, I don’t think “sapping the realism” with always going for 2 is a problem.

Always go for 2, always go for it on fourth down. Master the game. This isn’t a sim, nor is Madden a sim, they are games. Play them like games.

Interesting you should mention that. I recall hearing a professor of mine once say that some economists had done a statistical analysis of professional football, in which they determined that teams would actually benefit from almost always going for it on fourth down (i.e. they would win the game more often by keeping drives alive and denying the ball to the opposing team, as the success rate offsets giving the ball up without getting the punt yardage).

It is deeply ingrained in the culture of the league to not do it, however, so I imagine we will never know.

The NFL wouldn’t allow it’s name to be used, so that tells you something.

You know if you are gonna post the comment you should use quotes because it could be lost if someone doesnt get what you are talking about.

That EA paid them a shitload of money for an exclusive license?

Interesting you should mention that. I recall hearing a professor of mine once say that some economists had done a statistical analysis of professional football, in which they determined that teams would actually benefit from almost always going for it on fourth down (i.e. they would win the game more often by keeping drives alive and denying the ball to the opposing team, as the success rate offsets giving the ball up without getting the punt yardage).

It is deeply ingrained in the culture of the league to not do it, however, so I imagine we will never know.[/quote]

I would dearly love to find some online, quotable evidence of that professor’s theory that always going for it on fourth downs (that’s something else I do, too) is the statistically best way to play.

The whole debate with my friend has since spawned into an overall “playing for fun” vs. “playing to win” argument. I say fun is the most important point of a leisure activity and he says winning is vital for maximum enjoyment. He feels that his victories will be hollow if I’m not playing “right”. He somehow doesn’t get that even in playing in my “fun” way that I’m still trying to win. He wonders why NFL teams don’t always do it if it’s a winning strategy.

Yeah, he’s a bit of an idiot.

Looking forward to more Blitz tonight. If anyone wants to play me, send me a PM, I’m always up for a game. “Coop” is my Blitz tag, if you feel like searching to see if I’m online.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Here and here and here is the article.

Wow so far its a great read. Impressive stuff.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Here and here and here is the article.[/quote]

Good man! Thankee kindly.

That EA paid them a shitload of money for an exclusive license?[/quote]

psst That’s a Jack Thompson quote.

That EA paid them a shitload of money for an exclusive license?[/quote]

psst That’s a Jack Thompson quote.[/quote]

Isn’t he the guy on 24? He’s cool. He likes video football games?

No, he’s the guy who went after RunDMC, and the Hot Coffee mod, and sued EA over some third party nudity mods made for the Sims, that didn’t use first party art assets.

So he’s not stopping the terrorists from killing us all with NBCs? What the hell is the point then?

Pretty much.