Blizzard bans Hearthstone player, casters for HK Support

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were more heavy-handed than that. They aren’t even subtle anymore - Chinese companies pull out of business deals and openly say it’s because the Chinese government doesn’t approve of some action from the nation their business “partner” is from - even when the “infringing action” is something as necessary as “enforcing criminal bribery laws”.

It’s unbelievable to me that anyone gives into China and compromises laws and freedoms- it’s not even the correct financial decision, as chipping away at the rule of law and modifying behavior for bad actors inevitably has egregious financial consequences long-term.

Doing business in China is often a decision that is ultimately regretted. Should you have the money & time, these books are very insightful. Written by a fellow who’s been negotiating business arrangements in China for many years:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Poorly-Made-in-China-Audiobook/B0030UG2GS?qid=1570735833&sr=1-1&pf_rd_p=e81b7c27-6880-467a-b5a7-13cef5d729fe&pf_rd_r=4TGEZ6GATKCM20XYXARB&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1

One of the points he makes is that the Chinese simply do not have the same moral framework as the West, and basically regard us as chumps.

Something I would be interested in knowing: have any casters or players had a sign, wore a t-shirt or somesuch that was pro-China, pro-HK police (like the Mulan actress) and not been disciplined by Blizzard?

If there are cases of this, it would make it even more clear they have taken a side and aren’t just “implementing policy”.

That number is grossly overstated. Blizzard/Activision revenues for 2Q YTD were $1.4 billion, so say half a year is about $3 billion, and the entire year is maybe $6 billion. It has been stated in the media several times that their ASIAN revenues are about 12% of their total, so China would be lower than 12%. But let’s assume 12%, so that makes Chinese revenue is no more than $720 million, top line, for both Blizzard and Activsion.

That’s just not true, only 12% of their revenue comes from Asia:

Blizzard Revenue Information

That sounds like something of a false choice. Is there any prospect that this will have any long-term effect on Blizzard’s American business? The market doesn’t seem to think so. Their stock price is off a little, but not much.

No good deed goes deeded until the bad deed is outdeeded by undeeding the misdeed.

Another Hearthstone caster is out.

Admirable and TJ are my favorite caster team in HS Tournaments.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned enough is that “public opinion in China” is carefully constructed by CCP. Any kind of dissent on China’s social media quickly got taken down and wiped. So all that is left is government approved agenda.

That means potentially there are millions of Chinese who are not happy about NBA or Blizzard or Tiffany capitulating to CCP, but no one knows (except CCP). By the same token, there may be millions of Chinese who would support NBA or Blizzard or Tiffany more if they just have a little bit of backbone. (PS: I certainly think better of Apple when they said FU to FBI trying to create a backdoor for millions of iOS devices just to crack open one terrorist’s iphone.)

their bat signal goes out to mainlanders outside of China too.

The Soviet Union had their brainwashed masses when things were still working relatively well also. Same with North Korea. And generally repressive regimes. Most people would trade free speech and ideals for bread on the table.

It’s galling how they are still brainwashed when they are exposed to free speech / opportunities of the west and are cognitively dissonant about what allows them to recite the party line. This also applies to friends and family in Vietnam who until recently only got to leave the country if they were cronies or family of cronies or rich people.

Welp.

“We express our strong indignation [or resentment] and condemnation of the events that occurred in the Hearthstone Asia Pacific competition last weekend and absolutely oppose the dissemination of personal political ideas during any events [or games]. The players involved will be banned, and the commentators involved will be immediately terminated from any official business. Also, we will protect [or safeguard] our national dignity [or honor].”

I know of Chinese who aren’t brainwashed, but simply are too afraid to speak up because they still have family in China and they don’t want to get others into trouble. CCP has track record of punishing family of activists.

You ain’t kidding. A recent example of a Chinese international student in Australia who attended a protest here:

Speaking as an ethnic Chinese, I think we have one of the most destructive culture/mental modes in the world. Selfishness and Self-Centeredness. “Middle Kingdom” is a misnomer which don’t capture the true meaning of the word 中国. The country’s name is literally “Center Kingdom”, as in the center of the world.

I know of people who read and watch Chinese produced propaganda and treat the lies about the West as gospel. It’s disgusting how the Chinese portray U.S. after the US trade policies built up China.

Most Favoured Trading Nation. Technical Assistance. Advisors. For China. History that I lived through. All never mentioned.

Gratitude is always a virtue taught in the Chinese system. But that’s jettisoned in the name of nation building by the party. It’s disgusting.

Edit: The way they monitor people in the land of other countries reflects how they see the world. Like how they think they own South China Sea.

Scary stuff :(

I’m done with Blizzard. They’re basically a castrated goat at this point.

This is what a company operating in a fascist country would say. It’s actually scary reading it.