Blizzard bans Hearthstone player, casters for HK Support

I can understand Blizzard not wanting every interview to turn into the “issue of the day” protest and implementing some kind of disciplinary action. But the penalties were far too disproportionate - banning for a year, taking all of his winnings away, firing two interviewers who most likely had nothing to do with this - seriously? This was just way out of line.

I was tempted, but I think GDPR is basically a good idea so I didn’t want to misuse it in case mass vexatious use became an excuse to weaken it in future. So instead I just deleted my account.

Why does this auto play every time I open this thread.

I haven’t bought or played a Blizz game in ages, so boycotts from me don’t mean much, but I do have an account and I could see a mass deletion of accounts registering with them. How does one do that?

It’s quite well hidden, and not in the account settings where you’d expect, but if you head to the basement and ignore the “Beware of the leopard” sign, you can do it here: https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/wf/services/1328/1361

I had to supply a photo of ID for some reason.

Sry, removing.

I would guess their reasoning was related to this:
https://twitter.com/czhihong/status/1181452540753235971?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.invenglobal.com%2Farticles%2F9254%2Fblizzard-has-removed-blitzchung-from-grandmasters-and-banned-him-from-competing-in-hearthstone-following-his-on-stream-hong-kong-protest

Given that Blizzard was following through on the rules they already had published, it seems like we all should have been protesting this possibility waaaay before the event occurred. I guess we never paid attention/thought through the implications.

Yeah, that rule certainly applies here, no gray area at all to that one. How did we not foresee this situation and protest way earlier?

There’s kind of a lot going on these days…

It’s definitely an age of information overload, and that was before current events sparked on an hourly basis.

But corporations are people.

It’s almost as if they picked up on the idea of draconian punishments from somewhere.

Just remember, right now the punishment for being born Uighur and protesting is being strapped down and all your organs removed whilst alive.

Well, I don’t want to get too far off topic, but some corporations are in fact siding with Hong Kong:

My mistake then. I assumed that because they hid under the desk that they were surprised and were trying to avoid looking guilty. If they knew ahead of time, well, that’s something else. Blizzard is free to use them or not, I guess.

I am rapidly reaching the “Fuck Blizzard,” section of the book.

Cool, cool. I was really worried that some aspect of my software was up to me, but now I don’t have to worry about it I guess.

Relax, I’m sure they’re just trying to prevent a customer service overload when all those people who deleted their accounts call back to reinstate them when Diablo Immortal hits.

my cell phone is ready

Honestly, I was thinking that for real.

I am sure when the crisis blows over, or people decide that patch 8.3 outweighs their outrage they will call in going, “yeah, about that.”

well, I can’t speak for them, but Blizzard needn’t do that on my account. seriously, I insist.