Blockade Runner: Minecraft in SPAAAAAAACE! (?)

Issues you are having aside, sharaleo, that’s really, really cool – and probably the first ship I’d have built too (well, that or the Shuttle Tydirium).

i find this amusing because i didn’t preorder. lol.

The engines and guns on my Tie Fighter don’t operate in the desired directions, so it does not fly straight and I blow a hole in the wing when I pull the trigger.

It was worth your $10 just so I could read this. Good show!

Hmmm, might have to let this cook for a couple more weeks. Tried the newer version to see if i could place directional blocks correctly. It worked, but they seem to be rethinking how ships are built. They now have a see-through ‘frame’ block which you plate with externally facing textures. I get where they are going, which is fine, but in the meantime they have dropped 3/4 of the available block/texture types. This means my Tie Fighter defaulted to some ugly plain textures.

I think the only way to fix it is to rebuild from scratch, which I’d rather not do until there is some stability in the ship design principles.

There seems like there may be some interesting stuff going on, though. Each block type looks to have weight and inertia properties. This means engine placement is important if you want even thrust through the centre of mass of your ship. Plasma cannons rip through targets with explosions and satisfactory block destruction.

Interest slightly piqued again.

Since it’s my $10, here is a leaked video from the Imperial Tie Fighter testing facility…

Release and prey model, indeed.

2nd video showing my Tie Fighter peppered with plasma fire.

So you’ll be crash landing that thing on planet Minecraft soon and punching some trees then?

Edit - Now that I think of it, that’s actually a perfectly awesome explanation of how “Steve” ended up stranded alone. Game tie-in!

Well that looks. Neat.

Honestly I’m not sure what to think. It looks like Legos in Space.

For those of us who knew better, it was purchased after a discount and coupon were combined with the promise of two free expansions. BAMF.

Kevin, is your name really Paul Goodman, or did this guy just steal your title? ;)

Does that clarify the pricing model for you? http://www.zanmgt.com/News/tabid/40/PostID/14/Clarified-Pricing-Model.aspx

I still find the what I paid now and what I have to pay next a bit confusing.

If you buy the game now (or have already bought the game), you unlock all the currently available features, save ~50% on the final price of Blockade Runner, receive all future updates of Blockade Runner for free, and receive a discount on future expansions & addons.

If I understand right, it still means we pay now for the alpha of an unproven game and still have to pay more (but discounted) for the release. Is that right? Or are the $10 we pay already the +/- 50% of the final release price?

I can understand not including the expansions in the deal. But the very early supporters for the projects should really get the first full release for free.

Wendelius

even their clarification is confusing…

also listed on their FAQ page…

NOTE: Everyone who had successfully purchased Blockade Runner before September 29th 2011 will receive all benefits described above.

well since they don’t understand that a simple and clearly understandable business model would help them sell more copies, i think i will just hold on to my money. i avoid future frustration from nickel and dime attempts by the developer that way.

Yeah I’m not sure I get it either. I would be willing to drop them the 10 bucks but at this point I have no idea what I would be getting in the end for that.

I think we need a bar chart, showing what we get when, and how much.

They just changed a few words, it’s exactly the same as the original system they were using. ‘Expansions’ will add the features they originally mentioned for other releases, like landing on planets. In other words they want to nickel and dime you.

I really hate this type of thing. It kind of tells me they are in it for the money and have little passion for the game itself. I presume they have no idea what the game is supposed to be.

I also get that feeling. Sorry indie devs, but if you want my cookies you gotta keep your fucking hands in your pockets and avoid drooling. There are other, better games out right now with a coherent, comprehensible model that doesn’t involve a broom masquerading as a dick penetrating my colon.

In other words, if this ends up something other than a poorly disguised cashgrab with vaporware, I will purchase it. Until then it can lick my toe cheese.

Speaking of which, when does Vic expect his next tithe?

Haha, nope, that’s pretty funny though. :)

Why should I pay for the game now?

You unlock all the currently available features, save ~50% on the final price of Blockade Runner, receive all future updates of Blockade Runner for free, and receive a discount on future expansions & addons.

Will I have to purchase Blockade Runner again?

No, once you purchase Blockade Runner you own it forever.

I think that is just really, really poorly written and easy to take out of context without the “Why should I pay for the game now?” heading.

Given it is stated directly following that vanilla Blockade Runner will not need to be purchased again, I take the “save 50%” as referring to the fact that you are pre-ordering at $10, rather than the proposed $20 release point, hence one of the reasons “Why [you] should pay for the game now?”.

I doubt they mean that I will have to pay an additional amount for the final version of vanilla Blockade Runner.

As far as nickel and diming for expansions, that will remain to be seen. They have been reasonably clear that the vanilla release will be everything to do with ships (mechanics, building, engines, weapons, flying, etc). Anything beyond that will be new expansions (landing on planets, running around in first person, etc). Whether the ships bit actually results in a fun, playable game in it’s own right is the question.

Keep in mind that expansions is the main reason I believe Minecraft development has gone nowhere in the last 12 months. It’s not a sustainable business model to keep throwing free content into an alpha all your customers have already paid for and get for free. Instead, finish the core features, slap a 1.0 on it and get it out the door. Then release any new content as expansion 1, 2, 3, etc, charging for it in the process. I am certain that hot on the trail of Minecraft’s actual release will come the announcement of the first expansion, which will be paid alpha all over again.