Blood Bowl 3 - Kick a goblin!

Orca Cola had a very different format from open league.
And the amount of killy teams was random. I had seasons where I was the only one in my division. When I was in division 1, there were 6 other chaos teams (as you may have guessed, my own chaos team had to be retired afterwards).

Orca cola, in bb1 early era, had problems with Killey teams, but now, the spread is really good teamwise.

Yeah, that kind of format was fine before and will still be fine. It’s open league with matchmaking (pick up and play so to speak) with no limits on number of games played is where kill teams were dominant and where the problem lies, specially because that’s were new players go. It’s also the most popular format in terms of games played.

Dominant not in terms of most wins, but in terms of prevalence at high TV (since non kill teams tend to not be able to maintain such high TV due to more casualties, specially in that environment) and perception. When new players saw how frustrating kill teams were to play against unless you were very careful, and how common those teams were, they themselves gravitated in that direction and the environment was not healthy.

It’s all about making the game more friendly for new players. Closed leagues will keep their own rule sets and styles, but there’s a need for a functional pick-up matchmaking for a quick fix, and that environment was not working great (FUMBBL Blackbox is mostly fine due to the championship structure that disincentivized playing more that 25 matches per team, but even there the new season rules will make it so that ranked and Blackbox can merge, since matchmaking will be easier and fairer due to lower TV spread).

Blood Bowl 2020 rules seems really interesting, but I’m still not 100% sure whether Passing is better or worse (I know its more limited though).

I think overall passing is slightly worse for dedicated passers, but since it’s really hard to do for most non-passers, it’s made passers way more valuable. If you can do it you have access to a tool most other teams don’t.

It’s still an useful tool, pretty much the same, but you are going to do it less?

So compared to a classic team passing is worse. Compared to 2020 teams without passing, it’s better/more significant to have it.

I think?

At least it is easier for Stunties to pass now.

It’s easier to throw team mate too!

I preordered the new tabletop box, and that comes with a BB3 beta code.

Looking forward to dive in. If they implement the seasons and proper redrafting, pseudo casual play in the open league might be fun.

Which would be amazing and kill my productivity.

Sounds like some issues, and then one YouTube review complaining about microtransactions. They have been so silent about the game, I kept forgetting it arrives tomorrow.

I am not optimistic about this one.

Welp.

Sounds like a real train wreck. Microtransactions for individual player type equipment piece customization according to that. Plus broken. I wouldn’t want think it could be that different from 2 to be such a mess. I guess maybe something to pick up in a Steam sale if they ever get it fixed.

I haven’t been impressed with anything from this studio - they are only consistent in how disapointing they are, and how they keep getting to hold the Blood Bowl license, and make terrible games from it. I did let myself have a bit of hope this could be a great game at last, but I feel silly for ever even entertaining the idea of it.

I always found it odd that it didn’t seem they couldn’t seem to figure out how to properly do windowed mode, so it was always anchored to the upper left corner of the screen

I was typing a reply like this, but decided I didn’t want to be negative this evening. But, yeah, I wish someone other than Cyanide had the license. Their previous Blood Bowl games were only decent because the tabletop rules are solid—especially with a computer handling the calculations and rules enforcement—but seemingly every inclination Cyanide themselves have had has been either poorly executed or just wrong. None of their other games seem to move the needle at all. I think Blood Bowl deserves better than an (eventual?) 6/10 game that succeeds despite its developer after several months of bug fixes and performance improvements, but even that might be overly optimistic based on initial impressions of BB3.

A shame because the most recent Blood Bowl rules are an improvement over previous versions.

They never improve the AI to the point it can play the game either.