Blood on the Clocktower Game 4 [Complete]

Welcome to Blood on the Clocktower, a game of social deduction, bluffing, and death!

A demon stalks the town of Ravenswood Bluff, killing citizens each night. It’s up to the loyal townsfolk to deduce which of them is secretly this demon and to execute them before they all succumb to its machinations.

We will be using the Trouble Brewing “script” for this game of Blood on the Clocktower. More information about which roles are available and what they do can be found here:

https://bloodontheclocktower.com/wiki/Trouble_Brewing

A “cheat sheet” with all of the possible roles and their abilities can be found here:

The Order of Operations at night can be found here:

The official rulebook is here:

And the official character almanac (slightly more detailed than the wiki) is here:

Basic Gameplay:

Each Night Phase, the storyteller (that’s me) will message each player with an ability that functions during the night and resolve those abilities.

Each Day Phase begins with a report of who, if anyone, died the previous night. Then, players can discuss and share information. Finally, players can nominate one another to be executed.

• Each individual player may only nominate someone for execution once each day
  • Each individual player may only be nominated for execution once each day

When nominated, a player will be given the opportunity to present a defense. After that, I will call for voting. Voting is done openly and in thread. Voting is done in player seating order, starting with the player one seat clockwise from the nominee, and proceeding clockwise around the circle such that the nominee is the last to vote. Once cast, a vote may not be changed. If you wish to vote before your turn, feel free to PM me with your voting instructions and I will insert them into the thread at the correct time. Open discussion is permitted during the voting period, Private discussion is not. After all players have voted, the votes will be counted. If there are a number of YES votes greater than or equal to half the number of living players, then the nominee is “about to die.” If not, then they are safe for that day.

After a vote ends, nominations continue. If another player is nominated and receives a greater number of YES votes than the player who is “about to die” then they become “about to die” instead. If another player receives the same number of YES votes as the player who is “about to die” then neither of them will be executed at day’s end.

The day ends when there are no further nominations, either because the players choose not to nominate anyone else, or because the players cannot legally nominate anyone else.

Note: There can only ever be one execution per day. This means that if a player’s ability executes someone (actually executes, not just kills them) during the day, the day will end immediately.

Death:

When a player dies, their ability ceases to function (unless otherwise noted), and they are given a vote token. They can spend this token to vote YES on any ONE nomination. Dead players can still participate in discussion and do not gain any new information upon death (unless their character ability states otherwise).

Victory conditions:

• The GOOD team wins if there is no living demon. The EVIL team wins if there are only two players left alive, the demon and one other.
  • There are character abilities that can provide alternate victory/loss conditions. For this game those characters are the Mayor (good wins if there are three people alive and no execution) and the Saint (good loses if the saint is executed)

Role Categories:

• Townsfolk: Townsfolk are on the GOOD team. Their abilities help their team achieve victory
  • Outsiders: Outsiders are on the GOOD team. Their abilities hinder their team. There are a limited number of outsiders in play based on the number of players in a game
  • Minions: Minions are on the EVIL team. Their abilities disrupt the good team or provide cover for the demon. The minions know who the demon is and who each other are, but don’t know the other minions’ specific roles.
  • Demon: The demon is on the EVIL team. The demon kills someone each night. If the demon dies, the evil team loses. The demon knows who the minions are and knows three roles which aren’t in play, but doesn’t know the minions’ specific roles.

Final notes:

This game allows for private conversations between players, so long as the fact that players are having a secret conversation is itself not a secret. To that end, if you are having a private conversation with another player about the game, you must include me (the storyteller) in the private message chain. To whisper, post in the thread asking to start a whisper conversation (@playerA asks to whisper @playerB). Do not send any private messages until the other player or players accept the conversation in thread. Finally, when the whisper conversation is concluded, at least one of the involved players must post in thread to indicate as such, as well as to tell everyone the length of the conversation (short, medium, or long). Once a whisper is concluded, do not send any more private messages unless you establish another conversation via the above procedure.

Whispers will close for the day upon the commencement of the first execution vote, and will not reopen until the next Dawn.

Abilities that target players can target any player, living or dead.

Please let me know if things seem confusing or if I missed anything and I’ll be glad to clarify.

I likely won’t get around to the final setup for the game for at least a day, probably more like a day and a half after posting.

Turn order for this game:

@ craigm
@ Snebmi
@ jostly
@ ArmandoPenblade
@ soondifferent
@ JJSD
@ Jorn_Weines
@ juan_raigada
@ rowe33
@ lantz
@ scottagibson
@ CF_kane
@ CaseyRobinson
@ matt_w (Can no longer vote)
@ perky_goth

Current Players:

@matt_w
@CF_kane
@ juan_raigada
@scottagibson
@perky_goth
@CaseyRobinson
@soondifferent
@lantz
@rowe33
@jostly
@Snebmi
@ Jorn_Weines
@ craigm
@ JJSD

People who might be interested:

@Knightsaber
@CraigM
@Jorn_Weines

@Jorn_Weines

Ah, thanks! Slipped my mind.

I’m in if there’s room.

There’s always room. Well, there is technically a maximum of 20 players but I doubt we’ll hit it.

I have an idea about private conversations to still give us an idea who’s talking to who while it happens, but reduces the spam.

At the very least, we can note in the main thread when we go over to talk to someone(s) privately.

If we also note when we leave the private conversation, we could try (note: try) to honour the rule that a person can only be in one private conversation at a time.

That will make it more like the physical game, and less where you can keep several different private threads going at the same time, across an entire day.

I base this on the observation that in the first game, where I was not in one of the whisper groups, it was so much less engaging than in the last one where I was part of it. I think we should try to force more discussion into the open, it will make things more engaging for more people.

Also in the real game you can’t track if anybody answers or not a whisper, can you?

I think establishing going into a private convo works, and generates a little bit more of uncertainty.

Also, it should not be unilateral, I think. People should ask for a private combo and others agree. That way people can refuse to engage to keep suspicions in check.

This would reduce overhead and keep it closer to physical game flow, imho

I think this is a good idea. Request a private convo in thread, make a reply in thread, that’s it.

I like this. Do you think we should also try to make it serial, so we try our best per person not to have multiple ongoing conversations? I think it will also make it less confusing for those of us in the conversations.

I like that idea, too, but I suspect it will be hard to stick to, especially in an asynchronous forum. Looking back lots of people have launched whispers to several people at once because some of them aren’t present.

But if we’re not cluttering up the thread with multiple ‘I reply’ posts that will help a lot.

I think I will try to adhere to it, but break the rule if and when it becomes too much of a burden. But I think it should only be an experiment / optional rule.

I’d like to but I can’t. I’ve got a lot of problems to deal with.

I will be glad to join, this time perhaps with less lying by telling the truth.

13 players so far. That means 4 evil (3 minions, 1 demon). So many more possibilities.

As for whispers, asking for and then establishing a conversation seems like a good solution. It also means you can’t just dump info on someone in your initial whisper, as they have to agree to the conversation first. One thing to add, when you close the conversation you should let everyone know about how long it was (i.e .short, medium, long).

I’ll rewrite the bit in the initial post to reflect this and we’ll see how it plays. For now, I won’t try and enforce a “one private conversation at a time” rule, though, as I agree with Scottagibson that it might put too much strain on things given the asynchronous nature of the game.

Hi there! I’m interested in playing if you’re still taking people. I’ve never played the game before nor have I played on this forum so might need some help getting started.

I also always tell the truth…trust me…

You have been added to the active players list. At the rate we’re going, I might actually have to bust out the traveler rules.

@Lantz, stop it with the dual accounts! This isn’t play by mail Diplomacy! ;)

Seriously, though, welcome @JJSD! Let me tell you about Battlestar Galactica.

Welcome @JJSD. This is a great first thread to post in :)