Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Spiritual Successor

This game has my head spinning.

Took down Vicar Amelia; found my way into The Forbidden Woods (found out WHY they are forbidden); paid Iosefka a visit and figured out just WTF she was doing behind those closed doors; wandered into a small church off the beaten path that was surprisingly well guarded and ended up getting the pants scared off me and whisked away to…where exactly? Some hellish other dimension?

I have no idea what’s going on and I love it.

quick Q: are chalice dungeons just for farming mats?

Mostly, although there are a couple unique bosses down there. It’s unnecessarily grindy and repetitive, unfortunately, but if you like the combat loop it can still be fun and in the random ones every once in a while you’ll see something wacky or cool.

Playtime has been seriously scarce lately due to a bunch of random things, but I’m still enamored with this game. Pretty sure it’s going to end up being my favorite souls game. Got through the Forbidden Wood and the trio of bosses there, through Byrgenwerth and the spider, and Hemwick and the witch. All three bosses were pretty okay, nothing too fancy or difficult.

Game is beyond wild right now. The world is just completely upside-down!

I paused my solo game to play co-op with a friend, and got up to the point I stopped. It’s slow going hopping back and forth between solo and co-op but I love the game and the world so much it’s amazing fun.

The cutscene after Rom is right up there with the one after Amelia. It’s great stuff. And the witch of Hemwick is not “okay”, get off your difficulty high horse and recognize that she’s got eyes everywhere and it’s awesome :p

There are two optional areas that are definitely worth visiting at around this point in the game, but in true Souls fashion they’re very easy to miss. If you haven’t been to Cainhurst or the Upper Cathedral Ward it’s worth looking up how to get to each. Canhurst you may have stumbled upon already. Upper Cathedral Ward isn’t accessible until you get to the area after Rom so you may not have found the key for that yet.

Yeah it was a poor choice of words, point taken! In my head it’s usually about difficulty. So when I say it was “okay” I mean I didn’t shit my pants or break out in a cold sweat.

The boss fights in BB have been great. I’m happy to face encounters that don’t seem insurmountable, and the bosses I mentioned all fit into that category, especially since the areas leading up to them were pretty harrowing. Like the snake infested part of the woods, and those fucccccccccccccccccking Cronenberg fly monsters in byrgenwerth.

Cainhurst I think I’m on my way to…Upper Cathedral Ward I know I haven’t been to because I’m pretty sure it’s behind a locked door that yeah, I don’t think I have the key to yet.

Found the key for Upper Cathedral Ward! Messed around in that area a bit last night after I backtracked and finished off Darkbeast Paarl.

I love how the statues continue to get weirder and creepier in every new area. The statues in Upper CW being the creepiest so far.

Bloodborne will not be out-statued.

I am thinking I want to dig back into this sometime soon and when I do I want to include the DLC since it seems to be pretty darn good. I will either totally restart or continue my 1/2 way or more save.

Is there anyway to get an alert about a sale on the DLC? I wish PSN had a wishlist like Steam. I am in no hurry, so I figure I might as well wait on a sale.

Not that I know of but I’m pretty sure there is a Sony sale coming up on the 13th so set yourself a reminder to check then.

If you’re a premium member of PS Deals you can get DLC alerts. It seems a safe bet to me, though, that if the DLC is on sale, the base game will be, too, so set an alert for that.

I just got a PS4 because my girlfriend, who’s been wanting a Switch since forever, refused to get herself a Switch for graduation unless I got a PS4 for myself, which, ok whatever. Was going to impluse buy this with the 20% off code that came with the system, but apparently the fuckers who sold it to me through Amazon gave me a Canadian PS4, because the code won’t work in the USA, which, like, why are these things even country locked. Anyway, Sony says they can’t issue me another code, so I guess they aren’t getting my money right now! I’ll wait for a sale, and they can have $12 instead of $28.

I am confused by this relationship dynamic, but it all seems pretty win/win to me. =)

I can’t seem to tag the base Bloodborne for a sale alert (to hopefully alert me of the DLC) as I already own it. I will keep any eye out on the 13th, but let me know if you spot it later as you try to get Canadian coupon revenge (pretty messed up deal, sorry).

That’s just the kind of lady she is.

I have an alert set up, so I’ll let you know if and when it triggers.

Hey @Chaplin, Old Hunters is on sale for 50% off right now (the base game and bundle, too, but those aren’t relevant to you).

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll grab it tonight.

On a related note for when I do my replay/next play, is the DLC a post or parallel game thing? I just hear it’s really good and I never got to the end of Bloodborne. I am thinking since I forgot so much, I might as well start again with a different weapon. I did Hunters Axe the first time and really liked it, but maybe something else would be cool. But does that mean I can do Old Hunt stuff early and maybe use its weapons?

It is not a post-game thing. This article lays out the (obtuse, as it says) path to accessing it, if you want that:

I don’t think it can be done early. I’m not aware of any scaling in these games, though some might exist I suppose. I entered the Old Hunter’s area pretty late in the game (I think I was almost finished, but I can’t be sure), and I’m definitely having a tough time in there for the last (checks notes) 16 months. (To be fair, I only played the DLC for 4 months, but got stuck on a boss, and I’m still stuck there).

The old hunters is definitely a late game area. You’ll be able to access it after Vicar Amelia, but if you jump into it there in a new game, you’ll get chewed up.

By the way, did anyone have a good time with this weapon? I mean, don’t get me wrong, it looks freakin’ cool as hell, but I had a really tough time trying to kill enemies with it. I just switched back to my axe after an hour or two.

Yeah it’s amazing.