Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Spiritual Successor

Co-op is pretty fantastic, with some caveats.

It’s fun as hell to engage the insanity of Bloodborne with a pal, no question, but the way they do co-op is a little annoying. You have to play each area, collect all the loot, and defeat each boss twice, which late in game can turn play sessions into quite the slog.

It also tempers the mood a bit. The dark foreboding and frightful discovery is slightly pared down because you have a buddy there with you. You’re not totally immersed.

I also feel more pressure to be good, and if I die on a boss I feel the added disappointment of letting my pal down.

We’re near the end so we’ll finish it together, but I’m already looking forward to a solo paly through where I dig into lore and exploration a bit more.

Oh, that’s weird and kind of a letdown.

Good luck with the lore. I have read a lot, too much, really, and I find it more internally consistent and satisfying than the Dark Souls lore, but not nearly so much as Demon’s Souls, although it is quite a bit more convoluted. It’s odd because the DLC provides (or rather could provide) a very nice and thematic explanation for where it all started, but they’d kind of painted themselves into a corner already by saying the church had found a healing medium in the labyrinth, which in retrospect comes a little bit out of left field and doesn’t make the most sense. I think lore-wise they were actually hampered somewhat by the inclusion of the chalice dungeons, which seem like an odd, tacked on mechanic that they didn’t necessarily have to justify in-game, but they sort of tried to and sort of didn’t.

EDIT: In retrospect…coolest fight: Mergo’s Wet Nurse. The visual effects in that fight were miles better than anything else in the game, none of which were bad! Truly cinematic.

EDIT 2: Hardest bosses: Orphan, Laurence, Gehrman, Ebrietas, Logarius, in descending order. I didn’t actually have much trouble with Ludwig or really anyone else, although I had to repeat most fights. Fights I did in one go…I think One Reborn, Living Failures, Amygdala, Darkbeast Paarl, maaaaaybe the Wet Nurse? I can’t remember, now. It’s all a big Orphan-shaped blur.

EDIT 3: Coolest area? Hmm, that’s a tough one. I actually wish they’d done more to differentiate environments from each other. Nothing ever really seemed that far removed from the initial “gothic London” vibe of Central Yarnham, and the Nightmare Frontier and Forbidden Woods were just a little boring. Maybe…Hemwick Charnel Lane? I think that was the gothic-est.

Sekiro is the game i’m going to replay first.

I log in once every couple weeks to keep my skills sharp, because I do NOT want to lose my edge.

Those skills were hard-earned.

I really do think this game has helped me with DS3, even just a couple hours into that as I am. Shield? I heard once they were nice, but not if they engender passivity.

Ha! I thought the same thing when I fired up DS3, and then I got my face owned.

I’m using it way less than I used it in DS1/2, but I find the lack of mobility, as well as the lack of rally, has forced me into using it at least some of the time.

In BB you can really zip around. In DS3 I feel way less nimble.

Yes, everything in DS3 feels like a “fatroll” to me compared to Bloodborne. Like I’m playing BB while wrapped in cotton candy. Still, I’ve only resorted to the shield against knights so I can try (badly) for parries.

Circling back around to lore, I love the feel of BB quite a bit, but it also feels like they wanted to include a lot more than they should have, ideas-wise, and it makes kind of a mess in the end. Like, the whole thing with the Vilebloods and the Child of Blood? What was that? I’ve delved into it a little bit, and it honestly seems like something they wanted to do more with, but in the end decided not to but left it in anyway, so it’s this big, flapping loose end.

EDIT: This is fun: https://old.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/8a0byn/theory_the_moon_presence_is_the_hero_of_bloodborne/dwwhvy5/?st=jy0jj3q9&sh=d8474682

Man, I don’t want to make you anxious, but I don’t think co-op is the way I’d go through this game for the first time. I hope it works for you.

Haha, this from the same guy is also quite fun: https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/8yrpdh/a_computer_science_reading_of_bloodborne/e2ddq18/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=BloodborneLore&utm_content=t1_eglaabb

Yea, it’s not ideal. My comments before about paring down the intensity were not meant to come accross as positive.

I’d much rather be solo, but at this point it is what it is.

Made my way to Cainhurst Castle last night while I wait for my buddy. For some reason, the game doesn’t appear to let you head into the poison cavern and up into Isoefka’s clinic co-op. So I did all the pre-requisites myself.

I haven’t set foot in the castle yet, but hoooooooooly shit, it looks amazing.

How does it stop you?

If you’re in the forbidden woods area with a partner, it puts up a fog wall by the entrance to the poison cave.

It’s funny…after having played more than ten hours of DS3 with more responsive controls, and improved framerate, I still greatly prefer BB’s combat, as delayed and frame-inhibited as it is. The weapons are better. The attacks are better. The variety is better.

Man I hope we get a sequel or a remaster with improved frames…

Oh. Both simple and lame.

Yes! I think I mentioned this in the DS3 thread, but despite having literally half the frames it manages to feel quicker and more fluid.

Sorry, this turned out longer than I thought it would.

Man, these Souls games really are on the razor’s edge between mysterious/challenging on the one side and obtuse/frustrating on the other. I’ve been toggling between Darks Souls 3 and Bloodborne, settling on this one because of the quicker combat. But while I really like being dropped into a world, uncovering story threads and honing combat skills against the trash mobs, things almost turned sour pretty quickly. For a game that punishes mistakes so unforgivingly, the controls are not as precise as they should be and the lock features can create awkward camera angles.

And while there is a lot to be said for dropping a player in the a world and have them figure things out on their own, I wish there was more clarity on basic game features like, you know…levelling? I honestly don’t know how I was able to start levelling. One second, I am about to quit and play something a little less rage inducing and the next second, I turn left instead of right, fall down a couple of levels and find some thingy that gives me an insight point, whatever that is. I stumble out and find my way back to a safe area, unlocking a new passage in the process.

Next thing you know, I am levelling, though not really sure what attributes I should be levelling. Because I am using a cane, I put points in the “skill” attribute, figuring that it must behave like “dexterity” in other games. I also put points in “vitality” because I figure that means more hit points and more hit points is good because I get hit a lot.

Now that I have levelled, I push further in a new area and touch something which makes me lose my insight point. But I get some follower. Not sure if that would have prevented me from levelling anymore, I decided to use the follower to help me clear up some of the harder mobs on the map. He is about halfway through his health when we stumble without warning on a big boss called the cleric. My follower dies pretty quickly but somehow I am dodging and hitting the cleric with my chain whip. I toss my few firebombs but even with the locking, only a couple hit. At the end, we are both down to a sliver of health and I am blinding whacking him with my cane, I mean I have nothing else to lose. Don’t know how I did it but I won the battle.

I will be pressing on now because of the way things broke. Had events turned on the other side of the razor’s edge though, and I went right instead of left and never started that lucky sequence of events, there would now be a controller shaped hole in my door. Not sure what to make of all this.

You’re on the right track so I guess nothing more needs to be said. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy.

I finally got a friend of mine to fire this up, and he was having a very similar experience to yours, but I was there to help “coach” him a bit, and now he’s in love.

Many people have written (most notably Austin Walker) about the obtuse nature of these games, and how systems both inside and out help shed light and build a shared experience.

For better or worse, these games thrive in an environment that combines “going in blind” with the use of wikis, guides, forums, videos, and the coaching from experienced souls veterans.

The ironic thing about Bloodborne is that, while I think it is the most obtuse of all the games, it’s the one that acts as the gateway drug for most newcomers. Going back over the coverage of these games, and listening to podcasts and whatnot, sooo many people say Bloodborne is the game that allowed them to understand the appeal of souls games.

It’s a testament to the combat and setting, because boy they don’t tell you shit, and if you aren’t persistent enough, or you don’t partake of the community resources, you’re more than likely to just throw your hands up.

Appreciate the responses. I am glad things broke the way they for me because now that I am settling in to a routine of levelling, resource farming, and opening up shortcuts, I am hooked pretty hard. Currently have the second boss in my sights. Tried the fight a couple of times in order to come up with a strategy and actually came close the second time. Nothing that some more vitality and a weapon upgrade won’t fix. Time to get some more blood shards.

Not to spoil anything, but there is an item you can get that helps with that fight. Try and talk to everyone you can. There are NPCs behind certain windows and doors…

YMMV on the item “helping,” FYI. Mine sure did.