Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Spiritual Successor

The kidnapping took place before the last headstone though, right? The broken one on the left? So you’ve done the Lecture hall and are into the Nightmare areas after that?

That’s probably a good stopping point if you’ll want to do the DLC one day. I got tired of the nightmare areas and stopped playing, but the DLC areas are excellent.

Yes. I’m at the ending choice and failed that battle (which probably a good thing if I eventually get the DLC).

Looking at the boss list, it looks like I missed 2 or 3 - so I definitely missed some things.

There is some good stuff after that, so hopefully you continue.

FYI the game ends as soon as the final boss dies. So do the DLC now or you’ll have to start a new character.

Or try it on NG+, but that’s even more brutal.

It’s a good thing I failed the 3 times I tried to kill him!

I looked up how to find an area that I missed. It has 2 bosses in it. The first was easy, the second is harder but seems doable for sure.

I guess that’s the advantage of finishing a game in a week, as opposed to taking 3 years. You can just go see a list of bosses and recognize ones you didn’t fight. I wish it was that easy for me.

Can you describe what kind of area they were in, what they looked like, etc.?

They were in an extension of one of the earlier areas. I missed the key that was in a somewhat obscure area, but it was spottable - I just missed it.

The first boss was was like a large mushroom. The second was kind of a translucent tentacled large creature.

Probably Upper Cathedral Ward, one of the cooler areas in the main game but optional and easy to miss since the key is hidden in the Unseen Village, where you’re mostly running for your life from laser beams and respawning enemies.

That second boss is one of the few Souls bosses that is generally considered hard but that I found easy. I’ve heard a lot of people call it the hardest game pre dlc. Took me two tries.

I spent a week on the Burger King wizard, though.

just killed the cleric beast on my second attempt… It was not that different than in Dark Souls, attack from behind, attack the bottom, circle around … but it was still thrilling because I did not do much damage with my axe, I am a couple of hours into the game and the starting area is tough.

So when is the earliest possible moment to get to those chalice dungeons?

You’re in for a fun game. There was definitely parts that tried my patience. I don’t recall when I started getting access to chalice dungeons. I’m pretty sure I ignored them until pretty late in the game, and then I only completed 2 (or maybe 3) of them.

I can’t imagine anyone being in a hurry to do chalice dungeons. They’re like the chores of Bloodborne, which is otherwise one of my top 3 games ever. At best they’re a way to just do some souls style combat while you listen to a podcast. I suppose there are worse ways to spend your time.

But anyway, to get to the chalices you’ll need to take out two more bosses. One is the gatekeeper between you and the next big area of the game, so you can’t miss that. Once you get there you’ll have a pretty big space to explore. Be on the lookout for an area called Old Yarnham. The reward from that area boss will be the key that gets you into the first chalice dungeon.

Since Chalice dungeons get such a bad rap in this thread, I’ve never tried a Chalice dungeon. Not even once. Why waste my time on mediocre content, when there is such great content in the game?

There are some unique cool bosses and enemies, just a lot of grind attached,

Question for those who played through the DLC.

In the Research Hall, I usually avoid the first patient room I run across, since it’s completely filled with enemies. But I am curious to see if I can get in there and kill everyone. Did anyone actually manage this? I’ve tried running through, and that’s just instant death. There’s way too many enemies. I’ve tried backing out and trying to kill only one to three enemies at a time as they chase me out of the room. But eventually I attract a bigger group than just three, and they get me.

Is the secret here just patience? And is the payoff worth it?

Of course.

I don’t recall the secret exactly. Probably just kiting them to a narrow hallway or down the stairs.

Sadly, there was nothing in that room worth the effort of finally killing all those enemies. You can sidestep that room and go to the same spot from a side room, which is what I had been doing. I finally patiently kited out all the enemies and emptied out the room finally, and there was just one shiny loot in there, and it was something ridiculously trivial like a Madman’s Knowledge or something like that.

Oh well. It was still an enjoyable effort yesterday.

Today I kept at it in that hall, and finally found my way to the top, and activated the device, which changes the configuration of the whole hall. Now I’m slowly trying to explore the whole space again with the new configuration.

made it to Father Gascgoine… this will take me maybe 2 hours, like my Gargoyles fight in Dark Souls… I do not have PSplus, so no online help… is there anything important to the bridge where the cleric beast was?

Last night I reached the Research Hall balcony. Oh my god. That’s insanely hard. Bloodborne, as far as I can remember, has never used magic against me like this before. For the first time, the game just seems really unfair. Especially the fact that I don’t have a shield.

So I ran past all the enemies and got the prize in the chair. I figure spending hours trying to kill these enemies wouldn’t get me much of a reward beyond that prize anyway.

So then I went to the main door in Research Hall and opened that. And guess what? Magic using enemies again. Arrrgh. So now I’m forced to learn how to fight them and dodge incoming fire I guess. At least this fight seems a little easier than the balcony fight.

FWIW blocking arcane is basically the only thing the lone shield is actually good for. (actually I think there’s a second one in the DLC somewhere that reinforces it more specifically)

An update: I almost made it through that boss battle a few times, but never quite got victory. And once again I’m out of health potions, so I needed to do some farming, so I put the game aside for a bit since I didn’t feel like farming for potions.

Normally I’d practice a boss fight without potions first, like I did with Father G and several other fights, but this fight with all the magic hits, I just can’t do it without using potions.