Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Spiritual Successor

Looks a lot like Nightmare Creatures with stiffer animation.

Finally, I am back. I’ve overcome my disgust with the spiders in Mensis. I hate this part, disugsting. Killed the hunter and opened a shortcut, never to return.

Micolash, quite interesting, like it, but somehow failed to kill him on the second part of the fight.

I bought the Bloodborne boardgame, and wanted to get back into the atmossphere of the world.

I’m still annoyed that I missed a whole area of the game somehow. I thought I explored every corner. Stupid Cainhurst castle.

Man, the Cainhurst thing is so, so easy to miss. Ridiculously so.

Cainhurst castle is the Painted World equivalent from Dark Souls. DS1 and DS3 and Bloodborne all have it. I think I had to look it up how to use the cainhurst letter, and where.

I like the painted world in Dark Souls 1 most, it was quite bold. No going back to the normal game until you beat the boss.

almost missed the upper cathedral area. After coop-ing with some guy to kill Mergo’s wet nurse, I couldn’t do it myself, yet.

I watched Christopher Odd’s play through and after Mergo, he went to upper cathedral, right. I’ve never checked that part.

Whoo, boy! There is nothing like exploring a new area in a souls game. And this part is really tough, so dark. And those insight suckers.

I lost all my 11 insight, so did Odd … I was dumb, I spent nearly all my insight on a blood rock material for 60 insight. Now I cannot summon help for Mergo’s wet nurse. Need to do more coop to earn some insight back.

I found this excellent collection of Bloodborne lore with analysis, 100 pages

All “facts” are backed by the item descriptions from the game. The more I played, the more I got interested into the background story.

There is a place like that in every souls game.

You are so right.

You could actually just talk to her and she would let you leave. Or run past her to the ejection point.

I’ve still never been to Ash Lake!

I am sure many people missed Archdragon Peak in DS3.

Ash Lake is a great mid-game farming place but damn, if you can’t warp it is a pain in the ass.

Now you’re making me wonder if I missed something in Dark Souls.

(If I missed anything in Dark Souls 2, I don’t care. That game can burn in hell).

have you been to the Painted World of Ariamis?

Yes, I thought that was obvious. It was really easy to fall into.

Of course, the second time I played through the game, I couldn’t get in. For some reason it wouldn’t let me in. And THAT’s when I learned that you needed an item in your inventory that I just happened to have on my first run.

Still, the item was back in the Undead Asylum where you first start. I think it’s natural to try to get back there when you are allowed to, to see if you missed anything.

I thought the DLC in Dark Souls was much, much harder to find than the painted world.

Well, the Painted World and Ash Lake. Also the DLC is pretty well hidden which I thought was an odd choice.

I was trying to think if anything was hidden in DS2, and I suppose at least 2 bosses might fit that in SOTFS. Aldia and Darklurker.

Ah, yeah, I never did get around to doing that covenant. I found it at the bottom of that crack in the ground area, but never pursued.

at the end of the game I start getting interested in the lore. But like with every Fromsoft game, I am so invested with the gameplay, fighting, surviving. That I don’t have the energy for investigating lore. You really need to work and dig to get some understanding of what happened.

So usually, I check youtube videos or in this case reading The Paleblood Hunt by Redgrave. I didn’t know there was so much stuff in it. You know, I just kill things. But take some time, try to understand, and then kill things, I guess.

I think the games are more replayable that way, the story never pushes into the foreground. It is a rich world, and you are the excavator. I finally bought the Old Hunters DLC …

I feel so disconnected from the lore that it doesn’t matter anyway. Both in this and in Dark Souls, the only lore is what happened in the past, which is less interesting because it’s not like these “characters” or beings have much of a future. Everyone is long dead, I think? Or possibly immortal, I’m not sure. Anyway, it’s not like there’s people actually living recognizable lives in these worlds, there’s no sense of story that I can actually relate to.

yeah, I just learned that there were a group of scholars in Byrgenwerth, that fell appart. The one part founded the Healing Church.

I wonder who the Celestial emissary was, and his pack of little dudes. I killed them, obviously, but felt a bit guilty.

That’s a bit of an issue, most of the time, the only way to interact with the world is by killing stuff. But I didn’t want it to be dialog-tree heavy … the NPC questlines in Bloodborne were even more obscure than in other souls games. I think I met a guy named Alfred, once. And then he was gone …

The most straight forward quest line was the little rat thief in Dark Souls 3 …

I remember thinking that the Paleblood Hunt got some things wrong, but no longer what those things were. It’s all been so long ago, now, or feels like it anyway, but I did a lot of BB-related reading once upon a time.

I don’t think the details of the lore are important anyway. It’s enough that they’re there. These games are not like a portrait or a scenery that’s painted onto canvas. It’s more abstract than that, it’s shapes and colors and emotions expressed through the created world and it evokes certain things in the viewer/player. That feeling is what sticks with you, not the particular colors (or lore) that’s used to paint the canvas.