Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Spiritual Successor

What was before known as “Project Beast” it now has a title: Bloodborne.

Info thanks to duckroll on NeoGaf.

Some information from Famitsu:

• Directed by Demon’s & Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki
  • Spring 2015 release window
  • They started work on this right after finishing Artorias of the Abyss, targeting Sony’s new hardware
  • The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4’s capabilities
  • They’re targeting 30fps at 1080p
  • The keywords for the game is “blood” and “beast”
  • There will be melee and long range weapons (guns) this time
  • Character customization is confirmed
  • There will be no map display in the game
  • He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element
  • The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle
  • There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players “discovering” together

CGI Trailer:

Gameplay Clips (not new):

Official Sony PR blurb:

Introducing Bloodborne, the latest Action RPG from renowned Japanese developer FromSoftware, exclusively for the PlayStation®4 system. Face your fears as you search for answers in the ancient city of Yharnam, now cursed with a strange endemic illness spreading through the streets like wildfire. Danger, death and madness lurk around every corner of this dark and horrific world, and you must discover its darkest secrets in order to survive.

• A Terrifying New World: Journey to a horror-filled gothic city where deranged mobs and nightmarish creatures lurk around every corner.
  • Strategic Action Combat: Armed with a unique arsenal of weaponry, including guns and saw cleavers, you’ll need wits, strategy and reflexes to take down the agile and intelligent enemies that guard the city’s dark secrets.
  • A New Generation of Action RPG: Stunningly detailed gothic environments, atmospheric lighting, and advanced new online experiences showcase the power and prowess of the PlayStation®4 system.

Sounds promising! I hope that it’s just as expansive and engaging as the Souls games. This is being published by Sony so like Demon’s Souls I would expect this to stay PS4 exclusive.

After Dark Souls, Miyazaki has earned a day one purchase from me. I cannot wait for this one.

Yep. Looks like I might need a PS4 come spring.

Argh. This and Phantom Dust are bringing me kicking and screaming into the next generation.

Rebirth each generation is a gory thing – make sure you wipe away any afterbirth or you won’t appreciate the HD.

New info from the man himself: Bloodborne Coming Exclusively to PS4 in 2015, New Details – PlayStation.Blog

In Bloodborne, the combat is based on intense life-threatening battles. One of the ways we are bringing that sense of danger to life is by keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns.

“Creating Bloodborne as a completely new game on the new PlayStation 4 hardware has allowed us to really push the envelope in myriad ways. That being said, in more ways than one, it also very much retains our distinct, signature style. As has been at the core of our development philosophy since Demon’s Souls, we make true games for people who love games. Please watch for more to come on Bloodborne, and thank you very much for your support.”

I hate when the target is 30fps. Way to shoot for the next gen sky.

That said, aside from some of the art direction (cheeseball mcfarlane toy style monster fighting, from what I can see) , this might get me to snag a ps4 finally.

Hands on impressions

Screenhots

screenhots

This is just some dude talking, no footage of the game.

Oh god my wallet is in advanced shock after yesterday.

Looks like this will be another game heavily in the style of “Souls” but with a focus on the offensive.

From PSBlog:

In Bloodborne, the combat is based on intense life-threatening battles. One of the ways we are bringing that sense of danger to life is by keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns.

Special message from Director Hidetaka Miyazaki:
“Creating Bloodborne as a completely new game on the new PlayStation 4 hardware has allowed us to really push the envelope in myriad ways. That being said, in more ways than one, it also very much retains our distinct, signature style. As has been at the core of our development philosophy since Demon’s Souls, we make true games for people who love games. Please watch for more to come on Bloodborne, and thank you very much for your support.”

Impressions YouTube rundown (Credit to Dinjooh):

• Demo is 30 mins long
  • Bloodborne is more aggressive than Demon’s Souls
  • City is very densely layered. ‘More complex than Thief’
  • Combat is much more aggressive
  • They dual wielded in the demo: Firearm and what they call a ‘Sawcleaver’ one in each hand.
  • Firearms are a close-range weapon, to stun enemies, create counter-attack opportunities.
  • Sawcleaver was transformable, and many weapons will be.
  • ‘You cannot play this the same way as Demon’s Souls’ - Have to be more aggressive
  • Targetting the same level of difficulty as Demon’s Souls.

Never owned a Playstation, but I’d get a PS4 just for this game. Wish it was coming out for PC, too.

Someone uploaded the full “Project Beast Leak” footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlg_H7OCaE

Shows some cool stuff, but it was clearly in a fairly rough state when this was put together. That build of the game could easily be 9 months old, or more. The off-screen gameplay we’ve gotten a glimpse of from E3 already looks a lot higher in fidelity, as do the released screenshots.

That video is down. You can watch it here:

http://www.onlysp.com/new-trailer-leaked-ps4-exclusive-bloodborne-looks-fantastic/

*gently strokes ps4

Soon my pretty.

This game better come out on PC. And be well ported! :p

It wont, it’s co-developed with SCEJ.

Yeah, bummer. I had plans to buy PS4 just for this game but after I saw they’re targeting 30 fps those plans fell apart.

A dagger to the heart! Guess this will be the reason I get a PS4 next year.