Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Spiritual Successor

Interesting. According to that post, I have two more bosses to go in the main game (once I’m done with the DLC). And then another boss if I happen to have 3 umbilical cords on me. Are those worth tracking down? Is that last extra boss really fun to fight?

Woah. What the hell kind of weapon is this? Is this in the main game, or something I’ll find in the DLC?

That’s the whirligig saw from the dlc. It’s a strength weapon and it is awesome. You can get it before fighting any dlc bosses so if you’re good at running you can get it right after you beat Amelia.

From a gameplay point of view, no. But it is dramatic and if you care about the lore it means a lot. If you’re not into the story you wouldn’t be missing much.

Heh. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea what’s going on in the story. It’s some kind of night where hunters and monsters come out. That part I got. But then anything after that I didn’t really absorb.

Yeah there’s uh, there’s a little bit more.

Yeah, screw that fight. I cheesed it from that opening above, after having to deal with the mind flayer bastards.

If you have a commute, or can listen while playing something else, you should definitely check out the Bonfireside Chat podcast. They go way into depth on the stories and details of each level. Really great stuff.

I’ll second the Bonfireside Chat recommendation. Those guys are awesome.

One of my personality flaws is that I have a hard time letting things go. So, after I played some Settlers 7 I fired up the ol’ PS4 and played some more. I farmed some healing potions and souls by the armored guy behind the crates near the beginning. Got the potions and bullets up to 20 and waded back into Father G’s abode. First time I got him down to one bar. I had some flubs too - like not firing off my 3rd use of the item correctly and losing my targeting when I tried to throw some molitovs. I still had a lot of potions and bullets so back in I went.

I must have failed at least 8 more times, many times getting him down to the last bar or so. Then my son came home and I told him I would take him to the library. After failing another time I said one last try. Once again I got him pretty low. I started chugging healing potions regularly and kept running up the stairs, waiting to get in a hit or 2, and then jumping down the ledge. I had to potions left and he just needed a couple hits to kill him. He knocked me down really low and I had to roll away and try to get some more healing in me. I jumped off the ledge and drank one on the roof of the lower building. Jumped off and drank another one. I got back up the stairs and waited. I finally killed the bastard. It was such a relief. I was able to turn off the PS4 on a happy note.

My son was having a snack while I was doing this. As I’m rolling around trying to kill the wolf beast he asks me “Why don’t I stop yelling?”

Well done, was going to suggest to just use the gravestones as a barrier and whittle him down that way. It works really well with a weapon like the cane in whip mode.

I finally ran out of blood vials, so I did this today. Went to the lecture hall and cleared the first floor and second floor. And came back and was able to get about 35 vials or something after that one run.

As a bonus, when I went back to the first DLC boss, I discovered that I’d been making this really long boss run every time to get to Ludwig the Accursed, but I discovered a lamp I could light near the boss, so now I can go to the boss run directly. I also discovered another person I can summon. It’s an interesting choice. The person I was summoning before seems to have a lot more hitpoints and staying power. But this new summon (Henrietta?) does a better job at fighting.

Make sure to slot up on the echo harvesting runes, it should let you get a bit more.

facepalm

Any advice on Ludwig’s second form? I only get to see it rarely, so I’m always kind of surprised by it and unprepared.

Should I stay with the longer-range form of the axe, or should I switch to the shorter axe and get in there next to him. He just kills me so fast, I don’t get to experiment much.

Edit: I found this in an online article about Ludwig:

This phase is a little easier than Phase One, though you’ll probably lose any NPC you have with you before long because they’re dumb.

Ludwig has a few attacks now, but if you stick close to his legs he’s not terribly dangerous. He’ll simply swipe at you with his sword which is relatively easy to dodge. Hit him a bunch, and then run away when he lowers the blade for a massive area-of-attack spell.

I’m curious, does anyone like the aspect of the souls games of guessing (or trial and error) what type of damage bosses are deal and are weak to? I find that part tedious. It’s one of the few games I will use a guide for because I don’t want to just randomly try weapons until I find the best one. I just like to focus on trying to work on my movement and moments to attack.

I generally don’t have a problem with it because a) it’s rarely a necessity, b) most of the time the lore gives a hint and c) because of the way split damage works in these games, most of the time trying to react to a weakness by just sticking an element gem, fire paper, etc on your weapon is a waste of time anyway. I set up my character with two damage types in mind and if the enemy isn’t weak to one of them I just suck it up.

Well then you don’t have to worry about it. Treat non optimal weapons as an opportunity to spend more time working on when to attack :)

Vicar Amelia is my new nemesis. Made it easily to her but she’s repeatedly kicked my butt. I’ve burned through my healing preventative and fire paper trying to kill her. So I moved on to the old burned up town. Man the one who constantly harasses you with gun fire is a bastard! I went up and tried to kill him and he wasted me pretty easily.. Made it to the boss on my second visit and just barely eeked out a win. This game is pretty darn difficult for me.

Sounds to me like you’re doing pretty well Rob. It took me forever to get past that guy and finally give up on trying to kill him. (The enemy that you spoilered out).

Meanwhile, I beat Ludwig, both forms. Boo yeah!

I can’t take the credit though, to be fair. My NPC buddy did all the work. He was really good on this run. I helped a little bit when he needed to heal, by getting the boss’ attention, but he did about 3/4 of the damage on the enemy. Kudos. My hat’s off to Confederate Madaras, or whatever your name was.

Edit: He dropped a power-up that I can equip to increase my Rally by 20%. I had no idea what that was, so I just looked it up.

Apparently Rally is the amount of health you can regain when you get hurt by hitting the enemy immediately afterward. So if I equip this thing, I’ll be able to get more of my health back immediately after getting hit, I guess?