Bloodborne - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor's Successor

You don’t have to do this, but the best way would be to backup your save, end the game normally, then reload and go back to the DLC. The base game is such a nice tight experience, and the last boss is so good. The DLC feels like an additional experience. Don’t worry about it if you’re not comfortable with save backups and such.

Try to visit that hidden area I mentioned before doing the DLC. Otherwise things might seem a little weird.

Mergo’s Wet Nurse is down, and I’m on to said hidden area. Definitely had to look up how to access that because Im not sure I would have found it otherwise. I think I’ll finish with this before pressing any further into the DLC.

The look and atmosphere of the Upper Cathedral Ward is incredible, but those brainsucker guys are really demolishing my will to push on. Lengthy grab attack, get hit with a stun before I regain control, another lengthy grab attack, and I’m dead. I’d much rather just get killed in one shot so I can get back to playing right away.

Maybe I’ll head off to the DLC for a bit.

Yeah they’re one of the hardest enemies in the game.

The first section of the DLC should be fine if you need a break. Not that it’s any easier. But do try to finish Upper Cathedral Ward before you go to the second section of the DLC. You haven’t quite seen the whole picture yet.

It just bugs me when the game takes control away from me. Grab attacks and stunlocks are incredibly frustrating.

So how does the DLC compare with the rest of the game in terms of difficulty?

Tip #1 - don’t fight those assholes! Just run by. They’re not worth it. There’s an easily missed area later, where you get the upgrade for a +10 weapon, with four of them but you can run by. Just hit your sedative and keep healing.

Also, Insight really decreases your resistance to frenzy so spending most of it beforehand really helps.

You’re thinking of the brain dudes that he already met in Nightmare Frontier. This is the Cthulhu stuff.

The DLC is very difficult compared to the regular game.

Ah you’re right, the brainsucker guys were a definite pain. I used columns to block their magic then whipped them to pieces with the cane.

Am I really missing anything if I skip the Chalice Dungeons? I breezed through the first one because I didn’t check it out until I was close to level 90, but I didn’t seem to find much of interest. Are the others any different?

The dungeons themselves are very boring and repetitive. There are a couple unique enemies I think.

The real problem is there are some amazing unique bosses in there. You also have to finish it to get all the achievements. There is an extremely difficult dungeon that halves your health too.

I would definitely skip your first time through. They also don’t adjust for NG+ so you could beat the game and blast through them. (Need to find some chalices again in the world I think.)

Overall they are one of the big missteps of the game.

I would’ve loved a progression of random chalice dungeons if they were actually worth doing. Just terrible rewards for all the crap in them.

I agree you should skip the rest for now!

In my game I’m down to the final DLC boss, one optional DLC boss, and the final main game boss. Plus that asshole martyr up on the rooftop.

Do you mean the guy in Cainhurst, or the machine gunner?

Re: the Gatling gun guy

You can actually befriend him if you approach things right.

Cainhurst… though that reminds me that I need to go back to the gunner before I’m done!

I don’t know why they thought it was a good idea to force you to go through a non-random layout at each depth and type before any random stuff. With the low number of room types players were worn out before they even tried any variations.

Soooo… that Ebrietus is sure something.

I actually managed to get it down to about 15% health on my first try, which was a bit surprising and seems like it must be a fluke.

That one took me a few tries - I appreciated the short boss run though! I used the NPC summons quite a bit on this run through, mostly as a distraction while I wailed away on the bosses.

Also, I realized I wasn’t almost done with the DLC as there was a bit more past what I thought was the final boss. Ooops!

Ah, if only all of the boss runs were like the one for Lady Maria.

I finished this up today after a rather lengthy session, and I feel pretty comfortable saying it’s my favorite of the series–or, at any rate, it felt like the easiest. I managed to beat about half of the bosses without summoning, and I could probably count on one hand the combined number of bosses I’ve beat solo in the rest of the series. I have some complaints, but overall it was a pretty stellar experience.

A few highlights:

• My unexpected trip to Yahar’gul.
  • Alfred’s quest line.
  • The revelation of the Amygdalas.
  • Making contact with the Brain.
  • Micolash. Maybe not the most challenging encounter in the series, but I absolutely love the look and lore implications. Reminded me a bit of the architect from Ghostbusters.
  • And finally, beating Gehrman and The Moon Presence on my first attempt. That left me shaking.

Nice! Sounds like you had quite an experience.

I love the little voiceover ending for the last DLC boss too. It feels like a such a great sendoff for the game.

Just realized why my replay of this was a bit easier for the boss fights. They added NPC summons to a lot of them with the DLC! I thought it seemed weird to see all this help available.

I managed to kill Gehrman and MP on my first try too which kind of surprised me.

Then I returned to a Dark Souls replay last night and wow, the graphics are just terrible after coming from Bloodborne! Got past the two archers and messed around a bit before calling it a night.