Blue screen woes with new build--need advice

He’s not overclocking, the RAM and motherboard are both certified for that speed. There’s no reason to downclock again if the system doesn’t resume crashing. And unless he’s controlling a nuclear power plant from that system I don’t see why he should downclock preemptively to avoid the mere possibility of a BSOD. You might as well recommend going down another couple hundred MHz and downclocking the CPU as well. Just to be safe, right?

open admin cmd and run
sfc /scannow

What wisefool says - that will check the integrity of the system files and then repair as needed. Please note that it will take a little time to complete.

Cool. Thanks, guys.

BTW, ran it, and had no problems. Whew!

Excellent news Papageno. Sounds like the stock BIOS has a timing issue with your memory that was solved by upgrading.

At this point, with no BSOD’s and SFC reporting no issues, I’d say you’re good to go. Assuming you’ve alredy installed the latest drivers for your video card, fire up Skyrim and let us know how awesome it is.

Already “proof-of-concepted” so to speak: I moved the HDD containing my Steam folder–weighing in at 305 GB–over to the new build, double-clicked on the Steam.exe, waited while it and Windows 7 64bit figured out how to work with each other*, then after the HDD churning was done, started up a new game of Skyrim, which defaulted to Ultra High settings, and looked glorious on my old 19" Viewsonic (thankfully flatscreen) CRT at 1280x1024. Now I just have to hook it up to my “real” monitor, mouse and speakers, plop my savegames into the appropriate folder and I’ll be playing a good part of tomorrow.

*BTW, how cool is it that Windows 7 and Steam can just do that, moving from one OS install to another one (in this case from Win7 32 to 64 on a different machine)? Can Windows 7 do that with any program, or is Steam special in this regard?

It depends on the program. While a lot can transfer like that some need a fresh install to work properly.

Steam doesn’t keep anything outside of the Steam directory, and it’ll redo the registry futzing it has to for individual games if it needs to.