Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

There is an app for Lancashire already:

And you can also play it async at its venerable dedicated website, Order of the Hammer:

https://brass.orderofthehammer.com/

Yeah, Brass is a top-five boardgame for me. It’s just the right mix of everything. Elegant without being pretentious. An 18xx-ish that plays like a Euro.

Show us how it turns out! I’ve only been painting for about 6 months and it felt pretty overwhelming to start, but it’s really gratifying how much better things look with paint on them regardless of skill.

Agreed! Sometimes I think it’s my favorite of all time. I’ve played five times, all this year (on qt3 discord). Can’t wait for the next.

that’s strange. The cover box art above is not the retail/deluxe cover. It looks legit, but the published cover looks like they cut out the drunken guy … Any idea what’s going on? I found the image of the box cover here

This image is a glimpse into the artistic journey that led to the game you have on your shelf today: an early variant of the original Birmingham cover, featuring the entrepreneur from the Lancashire cover, years later, passed out on the street after losing his fortune to the drink. This cover was ultimately rejected, as feedback was that it was simply too dark. (Some people also asked “why is there a dead guy on the cover?”)

From here.

That’s hilarious! My copy definitely doesn’t have the passed-out drunk or murder victim. It does, however have his bottle of hooch.

I’m guessing the Birmingham Bureau of Tourism objected strongly to the box art, so the drunk/murder victim was removed.

-Tom

The Lancashire app is good for learning the game, but that’s about it. The multiplayer flat out doesn’t work. The AI is dreadfully wrote and predictable, and once you learn the trick you’ll come in 1st every time.

Chiefly, the BBT consists of Telly Savalas…

If anybody is interested, the adventure map for Too Many Bones is available again at the chip theory game store. Also the deluxe health chips. I know, not strictly necessary, but I saw an issue how progress is tracked. Some cards give you additional progress depending on your choice. So, when you count your current progress you always need to remember, that you gained some extra progress…

So, I know everyone here absolutely ADORES minis:

Both of which look interesting.

Bloodstone looks like Mage Knight refined, Hel looks like Tainted Grail but more focussed, and with more flashy combat.

This title got me so excited for a minute, but then I realized it’s not a version old dwarf pc game I never got to finish.

Trademarking “You can get blood from THIS stone!” as a tagline for future Bloodstone articles.

Its says Bloodstone will never have a retail release? Whuh?

EDIT: I guess it means that particular version will never have a retail release. Never mind. Stupid KS shit.

Lots of Kickstarters lately don’t get a retail release- especially the really big, content-filled adventure/minis ones. Wholesale being what it is (most manufacturers sell to wholesale distributors at ~50% of retail), it can be tough to make money at that cost unless you hit the big time and move hundreds of thousands of units.

Did anyone here try out War Chest? I’m looking for 2P tactical or strategic war-like games. Me and my friend have been enjoying the Undaunted and Unmatched series very much. Playing time is short and every match has been a thrilling duel. Not sure War Chest is in similar vein so I welcome any other suggestions.

(Note: I have quite a few grognardy Consims but I prefer something that can be done within an hour for a game these days.)

I see people constantly insisting “if it’s any good you can get it at retail” but that just isn’t true. You might be able to catch a reprint or expansion KS, but plenty of them don’t hit retail except if the retailer backs the KS and then quantities will be limited. And while there are certainly trashy boondoggles all over KS, some of my favorite boardgames are Kickstarted, only some of which have had reasonable retail availability.

That said, we’re in an age where there are so many good boardgames that it is totally okay to miss some of them entirely. Even if it doesn’t feel that way.

I played it a couple times! It’s by the people who did Undaunted and from what I hear is very similar so that’s probably a good reference point (though I haven’t played Undaunted so not sure).

It’s pretty short, under an hour. It looks a lot like Chess but it isn’t as similar as it appears. Units have movement or attack abilities that are way simpler, more consistent and less dramatic than Chess. You draft units at the beginning of the game and which you get will have a really big impact on how the game plays out.

A lot of the strategy is deck-building / manipulation focused. Often what you want to do is create a set of tokens where you can activate the same character consistently every turn. Other times you’ll be running 2 or 3 aggressively. A lot of the strategy comes from counting what’s in your deck and discard as well as what’s in your opponents deck and discard so you can make decisions about where you’re likely to have power for the longest. Like: if you see all of your opponents left flank tokens in their discard, now’s a safe time to put yourself into a dangerous position on their left flank, setting up a strong attack next turn.

I played the game with a bunch of people and only a few of them liked it, unfortunately. Whether you like doing that card counting and drafting an army seems to be a big determiner in how well it goes over. I personally loved it because I’m a big fan of those mechanics.

Well, it was true in the past. Before a couple years ago, most KS projects hit retail- and it may have just been my FLGS, but it seemed like the bulk of KS projects that hit retail sold poorly (I figured anyone who wanted it got the KS).

But in the last few years, something shifted, especially the adventure stuff. They figured out they could charge full (or above) retail prices and offer value because they cut out the middle man. I mean, look at the content in the new version of Descent (retail $150 iirc) VS just about any minis dungeoncrawl thing on KS for the same price.

I haven’t tried it yet but there is an online implementation you could take a look at: https://warchestonline.com/