Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

Is there a term for the board gamer who makes rules explanations more difficult? While you’re trying to paint broad strokes to get concepts or overviews across, they have to chime in with the exceptions to every rule you mention. Every single exception, every single rule. It never even seems to be for the benefit of the learners, but rather to just show off what they know.

“Okay so this is the town of Arkham. An ancient one is waking up, and if this doom track ever fills up, he wakes up and we have to fight him.”

“Except Azathoth. Then the game ends in defeat.”

“Right…so you’re going around closing gates and sealing them. If you seal six, you win. And new gates can’t open on sealed ones.”

“Except gate bursts!”

“Right…but we’re not playing with those.”

“But they exist!”

“Right…so you also want to keep monsters under control because any above a certain number overflow into the outskirts and raise the terror level, which is bad.”

“Except in 2 player games where the outskirt is a bigger safety valve and it becomes a viable strategy to not confront monsters.”

“Right…but we’re playing with 5. You know what? Fuck it let’s just start.”

Would you call him The Showoff? The Exceptionalist? Trevor?

What about the Know it All.

In that situation, I just tell said person to shut up and if they want to interject, they can do so at the end.

I call him “not invited back”

Alas, public meetup group.

Oh, ha, yeah, I don’t do those any more. I used to, then it eventually turned out that the same five or so of us played together all the time and tried to avoid playing with anyone else, so our sub-group just started meeting privately. It’s the standard evolution of board game groups :)

I’m caught between the majority of the meetup group being too casual (70% play nothing but Catan, Codenames, Ticket to Ride, or Secret Hitler), and the people who have private meetup groups being too hardcore.

Hardcore as in, it’s not question of if we’ll play a 18xx game, but which one.

That sucks! I’m sorry. It’s just not easy.

Looks like Paizo put the final nail in the coffin for the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6shlm

Well, shit. I am not surprised necessarily - I know I couldn’t keep up with the pace of content they were releasing. But the 2nd edition was such a good improvement that it seems a real shame to leave it after just one AP. Plus the many RPG campaigns that could have seen a really fun card game conversion.

Nice! Now I can play Mummy’s Mask content in the knowledge that it’s no more defunct than any other edition of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game!

Yeah, this handwriting’s been on the wall for a good while now.

RIP PACG.
Long live PACG.

Also, I was already kinda expecting they’d abandoned the idea of doing digital adaptations of the other campaigns given that Rise of the Runelords came out nearly 4 years ago and there’s been not a peep on that front since, but this would seem to confirm it. Which is a real shame. I know Rise was the first one and thus a natural starting point, but literally every other campaign is better and would be a better digital experience as well.

Given that there’s a near-game stopping bug that Obsidian introduced with their final patch and never bothered to fix and it’s been that way for a couple of years…sadly yeah. Shame. Would seem to be the kind of thing where if you did the right kind of programming, it’d be almost a plug and play from introducing a new database of cards for new campaign core sets.

I’m not really sure I understand what makes this defunct. It’s a card game that you can still play so… I know it had a lot of expansions, but it wasn’t really considering a living card game right? I have the demon base set I guess and some extra class ones.

What makes it defunct is they’re not making any more, including abandoning the organized play campaign season halfway through. Not even confirmed they’ll print any more product once the current print run runs out, although that may still be on the table.

Yeah, I’d say that if there’s PACG stuff you might want, go ahead and spring for it sooner than later. chances are that at least some of this, if not all of it, will go OOP.

I still haven’t finished Rise of the Runelords first edition…

wow, the AI steamrolled me in Turn 3. The dominoes have fallen. The AI had 2 scoring cards in hand, I could prevent one, but I couldn’t prevent Asia scoring and I also had Middle East scoring where I also was way behind. GG I guess, to my unknown AI partner.

Getting this to the table, haven’t played it for a while. There was a great review on the frontpage, otherwise I would have missed it. Anyone playing with the stations expansion? How is it?

I own it, but haven’t been able to gear myself up to try it out. The game is a huge table hog, and requires some serious time and brain power.