Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

Nope. Upcoming new stuff sold at a sale price on backer kit last Black Friday at $1600. Add to that the $350 for the core game and the $550 for the current expansions (price of bundle last time it was available of a Black Friday sale) and you get to 2.5k as a preorder on sale. Once it’s released it’s likely to go up to 3k on sale or so.

It will go up, but not by that much. The sale price on core is only $50. It’s not going to be “easily over 3k”, but it might be close to 3k.

Prices are trickling up as release date approaches (because of both scope creep and players paying the crazy prices). The gamblers chest (expansion closer to release) went from $50-100 to $350 last Black Friday (up from $275 the previous sale some months back).

Campaigns of death (next release after that) went from $40 to $175 since the KS, with a significant increase between the last two sales.

These are the two expansions closer to release. Now, it’s possible stuff further down the pipeline won’t increase at much, but with a current price of the new expansions (sans Gambler Chest) at $1200, it’s not crazy to think it will raise another $500.

500 is a lot. Gamblers Chest and campaigns have gone up in price because they contain a lot more now than was originally promised in the Kickstarter. Scope has finally been locked in on those, so I don’t expect them to keep going up. Definitely not by hundreds of dollars.

I think some of the wave 4 expansions (of which there are 13) will see insane scope creep, if history is a guide. You only need an average increase of $40 per expansion, and a couple of those look massive.

You can still late pledge on BackerKit last I saw. There’s zero reason I ever would, but…

yes, CCGs could get expensive, if you want the rare stuff etc.

LCGs are more affordable, I think you could get everything for Arkham Horror LCG for 300-400 maybe.

I forgot Planet Apocalypse, I have the main game and 4 expansions. But it was a bit below 500 I think there are 1 or 2 expansions left.

That’s possible. I’m trying not to think about wave 4 😭

Those are the sale prices I mentioned…

Retail pricing for a full set (counting the second KS stuff) will probably near $1000. KS pricing is more like $450 all in.

Gotcha.

I mean those things normally sell between 40-75 dollars so I don’t think you’d see an average of $40 increases across all 13. And I think speculating that something may go up in price isn’t really answering the question. Right now it’s about $2.3k for an all in.

Which is still crazy

Yes.5

K:DM? I did, 350$ for the core box, and it looks there is enough included in the box. Also, it doesn’t hurt that it is a good, solid game (some say great?)

The core game is definitely a lot of game.

Expansions are interesting in that they don’t add to the game, but change stuff. You normally put a new monster in by taking another out so to keep the pacing intact.

Which means they really are optional.

You might be right. We’ll see.

To answer the question current all in for major content was (not everything is available now) $2400 at sale price (not counting minor white box expansions).

I don’t feel the $2000 pledge is fair. That one is one of those whale level things about being immortalized in the game with blah blah type pledges. Lots of games do that now and back then and it is just about fools and their money. The captain’s pledge in Myth was $300 and close to the modern all in pledges even if the captain one was getting content duplicates.

That ($300) was the exception back then. Nowadays it is the rule. Yes, I can and still do get KS games for under $100, but it is becoming very rare. Just looking at my past pledges shows a significant uptick over the recent years and I pretty much always went for the all in type pledge. Nowadays you have to be pledging a card only, smaller scale game with no fancy chips, dice, mats or whatever. That is getting VERY rare.

I argue the purpose of KS changed over time. Early on it was a way to either develop an independent product or to offload investment capitol needs to crowd sourcing. Now it has some of that, but it is much more about filling games with as much expensive bloat as possible to boost the price, then cutout middleman costs on essentially laser focused production runs that are pre-orders in all but name.

Also, by expensive bloat, I am not always blaming the company. Stuffing games with unneeded miniatures isn’t just about boosting the price and appealing to plastic fever. It is also about expanding the customer pool to non-gamers (painters or collectors).

It used to be mostly CMON that would have these multi-hundred dollar games. Now, not only is CMON pushing that level, but most of the other games are that big and that high.

All of that said, I also remember KS games showing up at my door and being a reasonable box. Nowadays you need a forklift to get a delivery in the door and half a mansion worth of shelves to store your games. Thus it is not just the money that has crept up.

thinking about it, who has a special fire insurance for board games? I bet they burn like hell…

You can cover them in your home insurance. Most home insurances will cover enough of the content of the home as to cover this kind of expensive stuff. They normally have clauses to not include jewelry, but I haven’t seen one that excludes board games.

(We just bought a home and when looking at insurance clauses I actually thought about this :) )