Boardgame Tables

That strikes me as being a bit small for rolling dice.

Yeah maybe an individual holding pen.

Anyway next up is to put a set of LED lights in that can be removed when the topper is broken down. They have a prototype set here:

Anyone have other suggestions? Velcro? Other undoable fasteners?

Am I just missing the table toppers on their site? I want exactly what you have. Do you mind me asking the total cost?

Look for the game changer topper. 3x5 add the 2’ extension

So much room for activities!

That version has legs, not sure how to order it without.

Oh man. Only legs versions. Looks great though.

Has anyone solved the problem of a nice looking and gaming table without breaking the bank? Say less than $1500. It would mostly just be 2 or 3 people playing, but maybe we would like to accommodate 4 to 6. We saw the Jasper linked above. Something like that seems pretty good. Any other suggestions?

I think mine came out at under $1500, including shipping, if you do a 1 for 1 conversion as you usually have to do for tech/gaming stuff. But only just. I did buy a bunch of accessories though. The table itself was “only” £1.1k. That was a Kickstarter price, but I think they’re doing new campaigns.

Are they UK based so shipping would be crazy to the US?

Probably.

I’ve been eyeballing a Rathskeller table for years. Realized it was just too much and found a wood worker in CA. I asked him about said he could do it cheap… 16k!
I get paying some money for use and the fact I want a nicer table to act as a dining room table, but still.

16k sounds like about 4-5 times as much as an actual Rathskeller table (sans shipping of course).

Artisans! They are an expensive lot.

Rathskeller is axprox 11k if I’m not mistaken (sans shipping of course).
I’m just blown away by the cost.

My Geeksnson table came in at under 5k sterling for a 5’6 by 3’6 table (5x3 playing space) that was including the chairs and the motorised central bed.

I’ve had this table for eight months now and have loved it.

They periodically do kickstarters for the table where you can get it cheaper (I got in on the first kickstarter for 40% off). In general, though, it seemed to hit the sweet spot of money/quality that I was having trouble finding with other companies.

I looked at Rathskellers when I was researching my own table and they definitely have some around the EUR 3,000 to EUR 4,000 mark, or less if you’re going really basic/small. Still too rich for me, but way less than 11k.

The guys who made my table are doing a new Kickstarter for a “modular” table, the gimmick being that you can put the accessories on the inside as well as/instead of on the rack around the outside - I’ve definitely found that the accessories can make manoeuvring around the table a bit tricky in the limited space I have. The exterior dimensions are slightly bigger so I think, though it’s not confirmed, that the playing surface would be about the same size.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geeknson-kickstarter/the-archie-modular-and-expandable-game-table-by-geeknson/

Curiously the 4-6 player version is basically the same cost as mine, but the 6-8 player one is £150 less. There’s also a coffee table version, which I can’t imagine makes much sense unless you’re rolling in cash.

Anybody have any experience with Bandpass Design? They are out of Seattle WA and make a table that is 96" x 64" which is larger than anything I have seen elsewhere. (Largest I can find otherwise, and size of current table, is 96" x 48".) My wife really likes that the tables are designed to look “normal” when not in use for gaming. They told me their current turnaround is 24-28 weeks.

I really like the look of the Game Theory and Geeknson tables you guys posted above – there is so much cool stuff out there now compared to when I was first looking a few years ago.

I don’t have that company’s table, but I do have a gaming table with similar concerns for “looking normal”. My table has wooden game well panel covers as does the one you linked to. It will look normal to rather beautiful in comparison to most tables. However, if a table has a game well, it will feel either higher than normal to the arms/chest or down low to the thighs (or some combination) when sitting at the covered table as an eating surface. This impression fades quickly after sitting down, but you will often have the initial impression when sitting that the table is off. This is because even if the well is covered, it still is there and needs an extra 3 to 5 inches of space to accommodate the well plus the layers above/below it. A standard table is just a single wood layer with maybe decorative edge pieces.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend a gaming table. While the “premium experience” is nice and all, the main prize to me is the extremely practical feature of having a “save point” as you can cover a game up mid game, after setup, or after a messy game without needing to put it all away. Having a table releases a gamer from the shackles of needing to consider total time for a game. I can and do play games solo a turn or two at a time now. It is like a chess board left setup in the corner of the room. Instead of a 5 hour game eating huge dining room real estate, I am playing the game in 15 minute chunks without needing to worry about pets or otherwise needing a dinner table.

I can and have hosted guests at a Thanksgiving dinner who had no idea a giant kickstarter miniature boondoggle was in full swing just below the dinner plates.

Edit: If it matters, I have a Wymwood Modular Gaming Table. I have the large size, standard width, which is 96 x 43.5 with a deeper than usual well at just over 3in (to allow nearly any game to not need adjusting when covered. I have several accessories both in table and for magnetic rails. I am not as sold on if those matter nearly as much a just having the table.