Boardgaming 2021: minis are back, baby!

And that’s one of my problems: I can’t have carrier services pick up packages, because I live in an apartment building with no buzzers and no office. And I don’t drive, so getting them to a place to ship them is…a problem.

EDIT: posted as an addendum to my previous post (and what Tom had asked), not a reply to @malkav11’s post above! :)

Presumably you have the option of stating ‘pick up only’ on your auction sites. If you’re in a large enough population centre (and I’m guessing LA would count!) then while you are limiting your potential audience, it wouldn’t be that bad. Heck, LA has a bunch more people than my entire country, and I was pretty satisfied with what I was able to sell mine for.

Pick ups mean you can skip the whole packaging process which is 80% of the effort. I don’t know if things are different in other countries, but here in NZ it’s perfectly normal to just have buyers pick up from your house or place of work.

Aww, I didn’t mean to rub it in. The SAGS/Campaign book makes a lot of references to “If you only own the base game”, and it was in the main box, which is why I asked- it seemed like it could have come with the retail edition, and then you’d have a way to play solo. Ah, well.

Word of warning on Arkham Horror: the game is really not that complicated rules wise once you get into the flow of a turn, but boy is it not gentle; especially if you pull the wrong skill test token several times in a row. How OK would your girlfriend be losing scenarios? Would that discourage her?

Since you are new to deck builders, you might want to consider starting on easy. Because even normal is anything but at times.

I started my first 2 handed solo evening full of hope and humming a catchy jazz melody, gathering clues like there was no tomorrow. 2 hours later, one of my investigator had lost all their sanity and the other all their hit points. That went well… :)

@tomchick

When we moved I let go about 100 games. I would suggest looking at Meetup for some local players that could pick up games. I was lucky enough to have two people volunteer to put all the games up on the local site and brought the games to their meets for me and I just gave them a game or three.

Another idea would be to donate them to a local game convention for their library or even the local library if you are not concerned about making any money.

The problem I found was most boardgamers I knew already had the same games. So I did donate what ever couldn’t be sold to a gaming convention.

I made about 500 dollars and still gave about 30 games away.

4 posts were split to a new topic: We’re playing Fantasy Flight’s Marvel Champions! Excelsior, ‘nuff said, clobberin’ time, I can do this all day, etc., etc.!

Yep, that’s one of the games I purged.

It was “fine”, and I liked the theming, but I didn’t feel like there was enough of a difference between a lot of the heroes. Admittedly I only owned the core set and with additional expansions I imagine you could get more into the deckbuilding and produce decks that were a little less generic, but I wasn’t prepared to go down the slippery slope that is FFG’s business model for a game that seemed…merely okay.

I’ve unloaded some games using a local (NYC) Facebook group for trading and selling games. It looks like L.A. has an equivalent group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/labgm.

Look before anyone goes crazy. I’d love to see if anyone has any games they want to trade. I have a bunch of games to sell and trade and would be happy to keep it in the family as it were.

Do you have a list on BGG as Shieldwolf?

I feel like Sentinels of the Multiverse already solved the whole superhero card game thing. Not that everything G>G put out for Sentinels was perfectly balanced or a good idea, but prebuilt unique decks for every hero (and villain, and environment) gives way more personality and identity than trying to make deck construction part of the game. And it’s a great way to have long term variety and easy expandability without the investment being in any way mandatory.

If Marvel had just licensed G>G to do a Sentinels compatible Marvel game I feel like we’d be in business. Oh well. In the meantime, maybe someday Sentinels of Earth-Prime (featuring the characters and setting from Green Ronin’s Mutants and Masterminds RPG) will come out. And at least the Sadlers are following in those footsteps, though I personally skipped their supers game as their comic book universe seemed uncompelling and I don’t really need a second supers game of that sort when the main thing it seemed to be doing differently is having a pile of minis I didn’t want or need.

Thanks for all the advice Wendelius, and Tom! She doesn’t mind losing that much, but she’d much rather win.
We’ve put this a bit on the backburner though, and will instead do a little bit of Call of Cthulhu Rpg gaming, since I’ve also aquired the Starter set of that :-D

Oh nice! As I mentioned in the RPG thread, I play that on Wednesday nights and am having a blast with it. From what I hear, the starter set scenario is a really nice little story too. Have fun!

I don’t agree that that’s a problem that Sentinels has.

But I can’t compare the two directly, because I’ve not yet played Marvel Champions. Hearing that you don’t have to deckbuild increases my interest, certainly.

I would highly recommend playing Arkham LCG on the easy difficulty if it’s your first time running through a scenario and you aren’t a deckbuilding min/maxer. The difficulty was way too frustrating for us on medium, but was perfect on easy.

I Do. It’s under shieldwolf. I have lots up for trade or sale.

Tragically got mine via the Kickstarter, along with the full on Hero’s Chest mega extra add-on pack, heh. Looking forward to being able to see actual humans again so my very foolish large investment is worth anything!

Play it! So much hilariously more (and entirely unnecessarily) complex than the base game, but the new shit was pretty awesome.

I dunno, I don’t think it’s unnecessary. Valley of the Dead King gets a little basic TBH.

Alright, maybe not entirely, but lord our Forests games took a long time. . . .but not as long as the double-games :-D

It’s a long series in general, and I will grant that Valley does have the speed advantage of the Dead King rapidly escalating into an all out sprint that will lead to your demise sooner rather than later. We actually did the epic game (or whatever it’s called) of Forests where you have to do X number of quests and kill all the bosses to win and that took probably three to four multihour sessions with it pretty much left up on my table between sessions. We did note down dry erase stuff in the app and wipe though. I don’t think you wanna leave dry erase going for days on end.