Boardgaming 2022: the year of "point salad really isn't very filling"

Galaxy Trucker and Study in Emerald 1e are among my favorite games. I should try to get my friend Tyler to bring the latter out to game night tomorrow

Yes! I loved putting together those tuckboxes. And I’m notoriously all thumbs for that sort of thing. I love how precisely everything fits in them. More tuckboxes, fewer baggies.

Mine too! We’ve been playing a lot of ASiE 2e lately — because it’s so easy to table and we’ve had a number of irregular players lately — so we decided to play 1e a few weeks in a row with the regulars. I’d like to do at least three plays while it’s fresh.

Was this the new Galaxy Trucker edition? Have any opinions of it? Is there any reason to upgrade?

Sadly, no. We have an original edition with all the expansions. They’re so jumbled together that I have no idea if they could be peeled apart. We break it out once a year or so.

Summit: the Board Game just went live on GameFound for their expansion.

This is a game I’ve had my eye on for awhile, so was considering backing to get everything… but it is $185 to get EVERYTHING.

Has anyone played this and the expansions? If so, how critical are the Yeti and Teams expansions?

Ha, yeah, mine’s in the same state. Just the first big expansion, though. Still, when I teach new people to play I wish I could teach them just the original, but I end up teaching them the expansion pieces just because that seems easier and more interesting than picking out all those pieces (and missing some and having them confuse a new player).

I had Summit and played it a couple of times but only solo. I would not buy it just for solo but might be fun with others.

I’m pumped for the 2nd edition. The designer says he is not a solo player very much so when he upgraded the solo game for the 2nd edition, he made it so the AI goes for victory points now and even at medium level, it’s a good challenge. He wanted it good enough for him as a non solo player to feel like it is worth his time and thinks it came out very well.

Just wanted to say thank you for telling us about Turncoats. I wrote to the designer to see if she’d make me one!

I still haven’t tried the solo side. I probably will try to get a few games in this weekend for practice as I’m pretty terrible at the game.

It’s excellent. I’ll write about it next week, and I should be doing an interview with the designer the week after. I’m blown away by the whole thing. I’d even go so far as to say that the production lends it a particular air, not unlike how the first Total War pitched you as sliding army counters around on a war map.

I look forward to it. Thanks again!

Did you get your copy by writing directly to the designer?

Yes. You need to fill out a form to submit an order request, then she’ll send you an email sometime thereafter. Give it a week or two. It’s somewhat convoluted, but understandable since she’s making everything by hand.

Will you host it on the Discord? I’d be interested

Of course!

today is the day for Marvel Dice Throne, waiting impatiently for the ups delivery. Also need to figure out how I want to sleeve Marvel United.

I sleeved all of my Marvel United in Percival Paladin Sleeves. I have two triple row card boxes from a sports card store in town. The heroes take up almost all of the first one. The villains take two rows of the second box with miniatures in the third row. The cards store vertically and I printed out card dividers from BGG that have the the symbol counts for each deck which aides in picking team compositions.

How do folk manage the ‘tableau’ when playing Marvel United? I find the played action card chain becomes quite the sprawl as you play so I need to periodically clean them up into a discard pile, leaving only the last 3 or 4 visible to enable ongoing gameplay.

Anyone else find a better way?