Boardgaming in 2017!

I bought Whitehall Mystery last week.

It’s a 2-4 players hidden movement game. It’s also a streamlined sequel to Letters from Whitechapel.

Unfortunately, I only had time for a single game last week. It was a tense 60-70 minutes chase where we caught the killer at the end of the very last turn (just as he was about to declare victory). I played it with my kids who have never played Letters or Fury of Dracula. The rules made this game type really approachable and immediately enjoyable for them.

As a bonus, even though the game is nominally about a killer planting body parts in 4 London locations, nothing in the art is grisly or bloody. This means that my daughter who hates murder and gore could join in. For her, we were trying to catch a master thief depositting trophies all over London. The game can accommodate various audiences.

For those who own Letters from Whitechapel, the game can even make use of some of the rules and tokens of that game if you want to merge the gameplay styles a bit.

As mentioned above, the game doesn’t overstay its welcome. I think our game was around 70’. It’s simpler than its well known alternatives. But I think that’s what’s going to make it a hit with my wife and kids. I’m looking forward to playing it more.

This reviews contrasts Mystery and Letters if you’d like a comparison:

And thanks to @Lykurgos and the gang currently having fun at Essen, I can look forward to getting a copy of Meeple Circus and Dark Moon: Shadow Corporation. The former will be a birthday present for my daughter that will drive the whole family crazy (in a fun way) if the video below is any indication. The latter is an expansion for the rethemed version of Battlestar Galactica Express. I really enjoy that game and its Alien-like art style. It hits the table once in a while. So I’m looking forward to seeing what this adds.

Looks like 2017 keeps delivering on boardgaming experiences.

Wendelius