Boardgaming in 2017!

Been playing quite a bit of One Deck Dungeon. Not winning as much as I’d like, so that’s good.

Got Defenders of the Realm on the table for this weekend. Pandemic doesn’t do much for me although I love Flashpoint so this might go either way.

Put Comancheria aside for another time.

The original (well, the rerelease-after-decades-that-came-out-a-couple-years-ago) is great! There are not a lot of formal rules, it’s just picking where you want to investigate, reading the passages, and trying to figure out what they mean. You can try to compete against Sherlock (basically a “perfect” score), but make peace with the fact that he’s going to blow you out of the water and don’t worry too much about the points you earn and lose compared to him. Just have fun solving the mystery. Some of them are pretty darn tough. Definitely play it with a group of at least three.

Anyone here play Warfighter? I’m
considering picking up the WWII version and could use some opinions. Ive heard it described as Call of Duty: the card game.

I can’t wait!

I have warfighter, it’s a good system - especially if you like the WW2 theme. I’ve only played it a couple of times though (because I have more money than time lately…).

I don’t know if you’ve played any DVG games but this one has a similar flow than his others (with different mechanics). You pick your mission, pick your soldiers and gear them up.

You then start the mission and draw a hand. The missions are timed so you’re often times under the gun to move but the terrain is placed from your hand and it’s possible not to draw a terrain card or to draw a very unfavorable one. The terrain dictates how hard it is for your soldiers to move to it (movement points are different for each soldier and you can supplement their movement with card discards or playing certain cards). The terrain also dictates how many initial enemies might come and reinforcements that enter on a per turn basis (this is also randomized via card draws, the terrain simply says which draws will be valid which changes the odds).

You work your way through the map and try to get to the objective hex and complete whatever the objective is (it might be to destroy a bunker or to hold the terrain for x turns, etc…).

Games take about an hour once you know what you’re doing. I’d say if this interests you at all to go for it. As far as which expansion to get - personally I got none. I don’t plan on playing this more than occasionally so the base game has more than enough variety for now and DVG games tend to stay in stock so I don’t have fear of never getting any expansions.

Also - there’s a modern version (think of a seal team or something like that) and he’s going to have a kickstarter for a fantasy version. If either one of those themes interest you I’d get one of those instead. It’s really the same game but different themes - no need to own all 3 IMO unless you are going to play them a lot.

edit: Oh a bit about your hand. The cards are pretty varied and have a lot of interesting actions you can take. You also have opportunity to discard your hand entirely if you don’t like it (at a cost). Cards are generally played at any time it’s your turn (some can be played on the AI turn IIRC).

The AI movement / attack is pretty straightforward. There’s some terms you have to get used to but it’s not a difficult game to learn to the point where you’re mostly having fun and not consulting the rulebook every action. It’s deep enough IMO - I wouldn’t want it any more complicated. I wanted a quick fun to play game when I bought it.

Component quality is also very good - mounted map, nice counters. Good clear cards. Manual seems well done.

Gloomhaven is coming finally! Just in time for my weekend out of town in Texas but at least it’s coming!

When the expansions come out you can play with more people, but that doesn’t address your comment about 2-player. We have not played it with 2 player, but i think it can be easily done. The biggest concern would be both players can turtle if no one is playing the Klingons (who get culture point for winning a battle). The rules designate table size/space to encourage interaction.

Well, it’s always been coming.

I certainly had my doubts!

Fair enough. Just coming off a two month delay in getting my preorder of Robinson Crusoe I can understand the…doubt.

I finally, finally have scraped together the cash to order a copy of the second edition of my favorite game of all time, War of the Ring. It’ll be here tomorrow. I’m told the balance has been fixed so that it’s better than the first one, too. So excited!

I thought they made an upgrade kit for the War of the Rings edition 1(not sure if you already owned the first edition).

Man I’d love to have an opponent with the time & desire to play this one.

They did make an upgrade kit, but I found it tough to get a hold of when I looked for it. I decided to just go with the whole shebang.

rowe33- Hey, you do, it’s me! Just swing on over to St. Louis :)

Failing that, I believe there is a way to play it online…

It’s a fun enough mystery game. The main problem my group had with it was that often you weren’t sure if you had enough evidence to go to the solution. A couple times we swore there were still more clues but then after going to the solution found out we had all we needed a while ago. The phrase, “That’s enough for a murder conviction? Really?” was uttered multiple times.

That said, 2 things that will make the game more fun:

• Ignore the score, and definitely ignore trying to beat Holmes’ bullshit score. Often you’ll start a case with multiple leads, none of which are more obviously substantial than the others, but only one leads to the solution path. Holmes’ score always has him guess right every time. Just ignore fastest possible paths and have fun with the investigating and interview scenes.

• Skip The Mystified Murderess case. It is the universal opinion of everyone who has ever played this that it is by far the worst case with a total B.S. solution that defies any sort of logical deduction.

Have any Eldritch Horror players tried the new Dreamlands expansion?

I’m wondering if it added anything interesting or if it’s just more of the typical sideboard bloat from the big box expansions.

Good tips IT. Although I believe McMaster has the new version with new mysteries from Asmodee.

I know there was a real old version (80s) and a recently redone version. Have they released a 3rd new version?

Think the new release was yesterday but Iw as out of town - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/204305/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-jack-ripper-w

Oh, yeah that’s totally a new thing.

Still, screw The Mystified Murderess case!