Boardgaming in 2017!

Fantasy Flight has never had a problem with their card art or the quality of the pieces, whatever you think of their games.

I played Mombasa last night with my wife. Its a mid-weight euro with light stock investing mechanics. It reminded me a lot of a Feld game, albeit with less constrictions on player actions and slightly more thematic mechanics. As far as mid-weight euros go, its pretty good. However, I feel like I’m at a point where I want something more from my games than just point salad and score track optimization. Still, I would like to play it with more, as four players is supposed to be much more interesting than two.

This. There are ways to ‘reset’ the game. But seriously, you won’t want to.

There’s 96 or so scenarios. Each takes 2 or so hours to play. No, you probably won’t play all of them (some just randomly come up, some are closed off due to choices in other scenarios), but I think an average campaign will play at least half, probably more like 60-70. Not to mention the 10 scenario mini-campaign produced during the current Kickstarter, or the 17 solo missions (one for each class) he’s already released. Or the stuff created by the community- Isaac released all the art/card assets for free to be used by anyone interested. By the time you get through all that, the expansion will probably be out. And there’s the random scenario/dungeon generation rules included in the base game. Be honest, how many games in your collection have you played 70+ times?

Just buy it if this is your biggest stumbling block.

I love that game and it was my first purchase at Dice Tower Con last year after I played an abbreviated demo with the R&R Games people. Then I played a full game with people I met there. Two of whom I have kept in touch with via Facebook and we plan to play again this year! So much going on that it can be overwhelming, but none of it is complex. Just a lot of moving parts. I thought it played well with four. It certainly takes a bit of time especially if the majority of you are learning, but I never felt like it dragged. YMMV. It is also to slightly get a rule wrong, but nothing that really destroys the experience in any way.

Also, I love Alexander Pfister game designs. Broom Service and Great Western Trail are incredibly fun and very different games. Great Western Trail gets better with every play for me. It takes a couple plays also to figure out what all is going on and to develop various strategies.

I Kickstarted the second printing and with the descriptions I have heard and the amount of content, I cannot imagine wanting to preserve the original state of the game except maybe for resale at some point, but I generally never think about the games I own that way. I have a friend that loves trading and playing the secondary market almost as a meta game. So I am sure there is a market for that.

I like the fact that you’re building a world of your own, no matter who plays in it. I might run a solo character to play a few games in the 4 player campaign we started, just to add some more depth to it. Or a few 2 player scenarios with my wife to move things along, world-wise, as our Gloomhaven group isn’t able to get together as often as I’d like. Making permanent changes to the world is a bonus to me. There’s SO much content that I can’t even imagine getting through it all once, much less multiple playthroughs that would require reusable stickers, etc. It’s nice that it’s an option now though, for the really hardcore players out there. The creator’s already talking about an expansion also.

That’s how I understood it. I can play with my kids, then maybe find a group to play a couple scenarios and play solo. You can have a campaign going with each group and the only thing the permanence does is reflect an evolving world. BRILLIANT Mr. Childers.!!

Wasn’t too sure where to put this one, but Terra Mystica is out for iOS.

And android, and Steam greenlight (with cross-platform play). Also, the developer’s website says it is available on the windows store, but the link is broken, so who knows.

Steep price for it but a really fun board game. it says you can play with people worldwide. Anyone know if this is cross platform?

Nevermind. It is. says so in the small print.

Terra Mystica is my favourite board game and I jumped on this immediately, along with three others in my gaming group. The app is very nicely designed, but online play has been a buggy mess for us so far. Most of it seems like it could be sync issues causing a number of weird problems, perhaps exacerbated by us playing cross platform.

I’ve also seen several other reports of things that are currently broken, for example exchanging a priest for a worker permanently loses that priest and the Mermaid special ability not working.

Yes, from reading the BGG threads it really sounds like a real mess at the moment. They probably needed another month of QA and bugfixing. Also, the AI is apparently a deadly mix of totally incompetent and very slow right now (like, the version that “only” takes 5 seconds per move gets scores of ~70 points).

Hope they get this stuff worked out, I’d like to pick up the PC version once they a) get it on Steam, b) implement the hard AI.

I just recently got really addicted to the Lord of the Rings LCG (also from FFG) and while I think it’s an excellent co-op and solo game, it’s also a huge money sink. It might be reasonably priced compared to CCGs (haven’t touched those in ages) but compared to any board game the pricing feels almost exploitative.

Is The Long Night worth getting for Dead of Winter fans?

No345

-Tom

Not even a little.

My copy of Roll for the Galaxy arrived a few days ago and I was able to get it to the table for a few plays this weekend. I’m always amazed at how fun and engaging that game is considering how fast it plays. Definitely a masterpiece in my eyes and probably the only Euro that I really truly enjoy at that level.

About to play our first game of Sheriff of Nottingham tonight!

I won, so it must be a good game.

It’s a good social deduction game that can be played with people who are new to this genre or boardgame as a whole. Still remember the laughs we had when me and my friends first exposed to it. My only concern is the game may turn stale very fast if keep playing with the gaming group.