Boardgaming in 2017!

I just want virtual versions of Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, the Arkham Horror LCG, and so on. Basically anything coop they do.

Virtual TI3 for tablets.

I think you mean TI4

Haha, true. :)

Although they better not as I just bought it.
I’m curious to know what that will do (if anything) to the games that are already on line like netrunner.

I mean… I’m down. Digital board games can be pretty awesome.

It seems like they’re more interested in making new games based on their IP rather than just porting their board games.

“We didn’t create a new company just to translate board games into digital games. We’re focused on the bigger picture of the experiences our fans can have on new platforms, and this will take our brands in new directions,” said Christian T. Petersen, Founder of Fantasy Flight Games and CEO of Asmodee North America.

I’m am less interested, but still on board.

Expect games that exist primarily as a vehicle for DLC.

I would expect nothing less from Fantasy Flight!

-Tom

Hello boardgamers, my wife has expressed interest in procuring a new board game for when we have guests over. Current and overly played games we both like are Carcassone, Ticket to Ride. She loves wordy/numbery games like Bananagrams, Scrabble, Lost Cities, but I do not, much. I like tactical / strategic affairs like Xwing, Battletech, Axis and Allies-alikes. We both hate monopoly types, trivia types, luck based stuff, and we already have played enough Apples to Apples style party games to last us forever.

Anything fun for a group that isn’t a chore to pick up, can be played in about an hour, and straddles these tastes? Note that anything overtly warlike will be dismissed by my wife. If it’s a tactical wargame disguised as… I dunno, an ice cream shop… that would totally work… god I hope something like this exists.

And sorry of this has already been covered somewhere upthread… 1310 posts…

Codenames is a great group-type party game. It’s not a board game, per se, but I don’t consider that a negative. It’s wordy so your wife will like it. It’s not particularly in your interest zone but … uh… I got nothing.

It’s a team game so uneven numbers of people is fine, as long as you have 4 minimum. Pretty easy to lay out the rules. So for me it’s a pretty perfect game to pull out when you have a party. It forces people to interact and collaborate which frequently leads to lots of post-game laughing about how the game went.

I don’t want to go into it too much since it’s been discussed here; you can also use The Google to find out more.

I would read up on some of the following games to see whether any fall into the kind of categories you and your wife might enjoy together abs we can then use that to refine the recommendations further.

All are very approachable for a group of fairly casual players and involve varying degrees of interaction, strategy and, IMO, enjoyable ability to negotiate, deceive, confuse with words or pictures.

Splendor
Camel Up (crazy movement, but fun strategy in placing bets and outwitting the others)
Pandemic or Pandemic Legacy
Dixit or Mysterium
Isla Dorada
Via Nebula
Port Royal, for a bit of push your luck with pirates

Those are a few off the top of my head which are always enjoyable with a group of friends.

If any of those appeal, we might be able to provide more suggestions.

Wendelius

I’d second the recommendations of Codenames and Dixit as great games, although Dixit is another Apples to Apples style game, so maybe that one’s not ideal for your situation.

So many great casual/gateway games out there. I suggest going on boardgamegeek.com’s “Recommendations” forums are looking for threads about this (there are literally hundreds).

As for my personal picks, here are some less-talked about games that are easy to teach and a lot of fun:

Lords of Vegas
Isle of Skye
Chicago Express (or American Rails)
Mini Rails
Barony

If you can convince your wife to play it, I highly recommend Quartermaster General. It is by far my favorite 6-player game and is the perfect “game day” game, IMO.

Other suggestions that might fit the bill:
Sheriff of Nottingham (bluffing)
Telestrations (more of a party game)
Forbidden Island

Otherwise, I have found that co-op games are best to help people expand their gaming horizons. Pandemic Legacy is amazing for this, but you really need a dedicated group of 4 players to play it over many sessions. Also worth trying are the Jackbox games. Great fun but that’s a video game.

Which is what I was getting at. I would much rather just get digital versions of their best boardgames. I don’t think they have a single original IP I have any particular interest in seeing realized as a videogame, and I can’t imagine any of their licenses extend to the videogame space.

cool, thanks folks. Will do my Boardgamegeek research into those titles and report back my impressions post-xmas!

@spiffy, here are a couple that I think would fit the bill, both of which were introduced to me by a friend who brought them over, and after playing just once, I had to get my own copies to make sure they’re always available options:

https://www.amazon.com/Oink-Games-Insider-game/dp/B01HYTWH3C/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1508941617&sr=1-1&keywords=insider+game

This is a thoughtful and tense party game with lots of bluffing and misdirection and suspicion, without any goofiness about werewolfs or village drunks or mystic seers. Just people and words and concepts, and someone secretly trying to be very very tricky.

She also brought this really delightful and simple “screw your neighbor” building game, with some cool brain teaser scoring that’s always very interactive with everyone at the table. It’s short, easy to explain, and very well paced.

https://www.amazon.com/Imhotep-Builder-Egypt-Board-Game/dp/B01CGASY1I/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508941580&sr=sr-1&keywords=imhotep+board+game

As a Super For Serious Not Fooling Around With Ticket To Ride gamer, I got both of these games for myself after trying them just one and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them for the situation you’re describing.

-Tom

This description hurts my poor brain!