Boardgaming in 2018!

And with drafting, you get 9 cards (4+3+2) to choose among. You have more than twice as many options when you play with drafting. Think of it this way: in an intricate economic engine builder, can you flex the gameplay more by choosing among 40 cards, or among 90 cards? Because that’s what it comes down to in a typical 10 generation game.

Aside from the difference between getting to chose among 90 cards instead of 40 cards, I think you’re giving far too little credit to the importance of synergies. The key to drafting – and therefore the key to playing Terraforming Mars, in my opinion – is having more control over these synergies for your own economy and that of your opponents. I’m looking at cards and assessing how useful they are to me, as well as everyone else at the table. The other players are doing the same thing. Frankly, I think drafting is one of the most exciting parts of the game. It’s certainly the most tense.

In a game about planning and strategy, I would argue there is no such thing as “worse than random”! In fact, when something is determined by decisions made by the players, I’d say that’s gameplay. :)

-Tom