Boardgaming in 2018!

On the way, I’m sure. You don’t think they’re going to roll out that stuff before they’ve bilked you for a couple of half-assed expansions first, do you? This is Fantasy Flight we’re talking about.

-Tom

Usually the first expansion is the best! Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror. It’s the followups after that where it gets half assed.

That is true, isn’t it? I wonder if they’ve learned to lead with the crappy stuff to keep everyone on the hook. That’s what it sounds like here. Because I love Rebellion, but the only thing that would cause me to clog it up with a bunch of Rogue One junk is impatience.

-Tom

They probably saw the Rogue One window as being limited and wanted to get it out there before people forgot about it/lost interest.

I remember our first game of Age of Steam. I used to have 3-4 buddies of mine over every year for a boardgame weekend when we all lived within a couple hundred miles of Chicago, and we would spend three days just cranking through games. Age of Steam knocked us for a loop. Are we doing this right? we thought. Yes, we were doing it right.

It’s an incredible design. And almost certainly a guaranteed turn-off for new players. Of course, since it’s a Martin Wallace game, it got a redesign to make it more friendly and lame and just a worse game overall.

Age of Steam is one of only two train games that I actually like.

Sante Fe Rails is the other one.

I could be forgetting about a third, but I don’t think so.

@Brooski @arrendek you two are dead to me.

Joking aside, I do actually take some issue with

Now I appreciate why you feel that way. And obviously we each have our own perspectives and reasons for this. But for me that more friendly aspect is absolutely critical. Why Railroad Tycoon/ Railways of the World is the superior game (and I’ve played Age, Steam, and RotW extensively) for me. Because it is a game I can play with my wife, my brother, and his wife. Also many of our friends and their spouses. The mechanics aren’t so… unforgiving. Strategy is still king, but the fact is that you never wind up in a situation without any positive options. Which makes all the difference. It also helps curb some of the snowball effects, both good and bad.

So while I can certainly understand why some people like the Age design better, the playability of RotW and the enthusiasm I get when bringing it out, far supersede all other considerations for me.

Plus it has nicer looking maps ;)

We played a ton of Age of Steam back in the day. One of my gaming buddies even started his game publishing company (Bezier Games) by publishing Age of Steam maps. It is a weird game though, because it is about delivering goods in the least efficient way possible. I still own it, but we never play it any more (and we only played Steam once or twice, and the Steam Barons expansion is a disaster).

I don’t play many train games anymore. If I was going to I’d bust out an 18xx, maybe 1825? We play Russian Railroads, but that’s not really a train game, it’s a worker placement game.

46 is the easiest one to get and one of the gentler ones though imo it’s most interesting at higher player counts.

I like CZ but it’s a bit harder to come by.

Just got back from an evening at the Sacramento Conquest convention. Played a pair of games by Steven Feld, Castles of Burgundy and Bora Bora. I thought Castles of Burgundy was quite good for a point-salad Euro. My initial take on Bora Bora was “this is really weird” but it started to make more sense as I just relaxed into flowing with it’s point-salad-y ways.

I haven’t decided what I’m going to play tomorrow yet…

Is that Stefan Feld’s American stage name?

Play Trajan and get back to us…

Nothing evokes the might of the Roman empire like mancala.

Worst. Game design choice. Ever.

@Sharpe, I have a real soft spot for Bora Bora for a couple of reasons. For starters, I got it as a gift from my Secret Santa two (?) years ago. I love that it’s a bunch of Pacific islanders, just grooving on fishing, making jewelry, cruising around in their boats, and giving each other tattoos, which isn’t something you see in a lot of game. If you’re going to serve up some points salad, the ingredients better be this refreshing!

-Tom

I had that same flow. About my 2nd or 3rd play it became incredibly relaxing and it’s a game my wife and I pull out when we’re tired. I think once you start getting the hang of it, there aren’t a ton of “real” choices, the game sort of plays itself, but is somehow still satisfying.

I just played Luna last night, another Stefan Feld game that I love. It’s a lot simpler then Bora Bora but about twice as weird. Everyone is members of a moon worshipping cult and you get points for impressing the moon priestess and sanctifying novices in the temple. You lose points for hanging out with the Apostate, who runs around the board whispering lies into everyone’s ears. You have a bunch of novices who are spread out between these islands and each island has an associated action with it. Performing the action always takes 2 novices, and a few of the actions force you to split your followers up, forcing you to find new ways to get them back together.

It’s got a few area-control elements which makes the game particularly nasty, which is a bit unusual for a Feld game. Players might compete by sending many novices to worship the Moon Priestess. If they over-do this, though, you can just send the Apostate to that island as well and knock out all their points. I really like the level of interaction. Everything requires 2 or 3 turns to accomplish so you know when someones about to be jerk and can try and counter plan before they pull it off. Really neat game.

I enjoyed Castles of Burgundy but I gotta admit I haven’t really been that interested in getting another Feld game.

@malkav11 Based on your tastes expressed on the forum, I don’t think Feld is ever going to be your favorite designer, but I also think you’d find his meatier games more inspiring than Castles of Burgundy. I’d suggest trying Trajan, Aquasphere, Luna or Macao if you end up changing your mind.

EDIT: As an aside, these aren’t necessarily my favorite Feld games, just the ones I think most likely to win you over.

They just all look pretty similar to me and I already own one that suits me fine.

I’m so sad that I have Aquasphere – it was ridiculously cheap at one point – and I’ve never gotten anyone to play it. Seems to me a game about scientists in an underwater base programming robots to harvest octopuses would at least be intriguing enough to want to try!

-Tom

Shoot. Caught in a 3 way battle for my wallet right now between Scythe, Spirit Island, and Unicornius Knight.

Well, 2 of those are amazing solo experiences.

I find Spirit Island perhaps the better designed game (in a system balance sort of way) but I enjoy Unicornus Knights more (I like the experience and the quasi-solo-wargame aspect of it).

Spirit Island would work better as co-op if you do co-op. Unicornus Knights has characters that are too passive or have too much of a support role that can make the experience frustrating for some players if they end up playing those characters.