Boardgaming in 2018!

I finished reading the rules for BIOS: Megafauna and will play a solo game this weekend. So far it looks like a very compelling set of systems, specially the map (which includes climate change and plate tectonics!).

It’s also probably a great game to play a forum game of, since there’s no secret info and except for the event phase before all players “move”, each player seems to be able to do a full turn without intervention of the others. Anybody here would be interested in such a game? I would offer to organize it for pure PbF play (just posting, no Vassal or private emails)

Yes, I will be that guy! I still love playing OGRE. There’s some nostalgia involved, as it was the first asymmetrical game I played, and I do enjoy the theme, but I definitely think it holds up.

You are talking about the recent edition of Bios Megafusna, right? There are some pretty significant differences but I have and am Interested in both.

As far as Sierra Madre games from that release time go my favorite is John Company. There’s a Tabletop simulator module for John Co. but sadly, no vassal module I can find.

What’s this? I just looked on BGG, and I don’t see any new Warhammer Quest that is coming out (the Shadows over Hammer something thing seemed to come out in 2017).

Could it be the re-implementation of the Warhammer Quest card game? Heroes of Generic FFG-Fantasyland?

I quite liked the Warhammer Quest card game’s mechanics so the blandness of Terrinoth might not ruin it.

Oh, he is not trolling. That is a 100% Tom Chick Axiom™. He brings this up with me all the time when I try to get him interested in older games, but he used to use 2005 as a date. Not sure why it has changed. Maybe because he no longer likes Twilight Struggle.

I don’t know if Tom Chick has played Washington’s War (We the People depending on the year). That one goes back quite a while and is still one of the best designs around.

He doesn’t care. @tomchick, do you care?

There are good games from the 80s. He is high.

As ignorant as a 14 year old saying Selena Gomez is better than Aretha Franklin.

@tomchick …you need a lobotomy…well a Boardgameslobotomy…

My number 1 most anticipated game but I’m worried.

A. Will it be too similar to Mombasa
B. It looks ugly
C. Shut up Sit Down likes it and I’m starting to diverge greatly in opinion on their reviews.

How much are they selling it for? and would you be willing to ship a copy?

I still think Quicksand defies that Axiom.

Here’s everything that came out last week that you may have missed!

alicematic exitmysterious haven merrymayhem

I mean there are board games from even older eras that are good design. Acquire is a good design going back some 40 years. Sure you can see new games in that space, but it feels like a design from a more modern era.

Also my second favorite game of all time was released in 2005, so any notion that doesn’t go back at least that far is inherently wrong.

And here’s everything from this week (Note I am editing out miniatures and RPG stuff for this thread):

catancroptrust ThunderstoneQuest

Ooh, new Candyland!

Nice! The Exit game are generally the best of this style, and each iteration improves their skill.

The Unlock ones are good too, and Alice in Wonderland is fantastic and easily as good as any Exit game I’ve played.

I should review the ones I’ve done…

Are the exit games a one and done type thing? Are they something I could do with my 11 year old son or is it meant for an older player?

Yep, another Exit game - awesome.

Thanks for the heads up on the Unlocks also - realized I’m missing the 3-pack that includes Oz.

Might be tough for an 11yo but might still be fun to try together, especially if you either remove or greatly relax the time constraint.

There’s no replayability at all, especially Exit as it might require altering or destroying parts of the game. Totally worth it though.