Boardgaming in 2018!

Reddit via /r/Philadelphia.

If you or @AWS260 are down for games text me. We are trying gizmos next and all day free play tomorrow.

Big thumbs up for CMON Gizmos

I’ll shoot you a text tomorrow, once we get through a final round of expo hall demos and shopping.

Hey is Rathskeller selling tables at PAX?

Played Brass Birmingham this weekend. I don’t know if this happens to you in any game, but this is the only game I have ever had this happen. I make tons of money and tons of victory points, but I have no idea how the hell I’m doing it. I literally cannot grasp the strategy, but I’m apparently I’m doing something right. I feel like an idiot savant.

Yes, they’re here. Along with what seems like every other board game table maker.

Man I want one of those tables.

Reading through the BGG reviews for Arkham Horror 3.

Ugh, I forgot what pedantic troglodytes lurk there. A dozen “YOUR OPINION IS INVALID!” posts to a negative review that dares call 2nd edition “the original” (who the hell played the 1987 1st edition?).

Me, for one. Like most 1980s boardgames, it’s not very good.

It’s like getting upset at someone for referring to the 1984 Ghostbusters movie when they say “the original” instead of the 1975 TV show with the ape. Grown adults actually getting hostile over something so obvious and pointless.

I want to see a horror movie where people like that get put into a Saw scenario, with traps that would be easy to escape but they’re all too busy correcting each other on meaningless technicalities.

I had no idea this was a thing. That’s incredible and really silly looking, a person in an ape costume.

Yeah BGG is a place I read and get files from. It’s not a community I really want to engage with although I appreciate the efforts they share.

It really is. Like, what 2nd edition Arkham Horror has in common with the first is: the name, the concept of closing monster spawning gates, and a designer credit. That’s about it.

(Which is why it really irritates me when people credit Richard Launius as the designer of Arkham Horror when he’s actually the designer of the 1980s version and as far as I can tell did little more than sign off on FFG’s version, which was primarily designed by Kevin Wilson. Like, hey, I’m sure Launius has designed some interesting games, but the game you’re thinking of wasn’t one of them.)

Really great meeting you @AWS260. Hopefully longer next time.

I put 8 games on my wishlist. That is to say I wanted 8 more games that I couldn’t possibly carry more. The final tally of what I did buy is going to be frightening. And that doesn’t even count Green Horde and Rising Sun which were $40 cheaper on Amazon each than at the show. And Don’t mess with Cthulhu and Kings Guild which sold out on me.

Oh, man, yeah, one of my friends made us play the original Arkham Horror once. What a load of dreck. Of course, I don’t like any of the other ones either, so maybe I’m not the target audience.

And yes, BGG is a cesspit. I haven’t posted anything there for four years, except for 3 rules questions. I made the unforgivable sin of not liking a Richard Berg game (Pax Romana), and also I agreed with a friend of mine who posted a negative review of Churchill (although I think I kept silent on that one, that thread was a CF of epic proportions).

So apparently this is a thing that actually exists.

http://www.mattelgames.com/en/cards/dos

What did you get? Don’t leave us hanging! Also what’s on the list?

I’ll post a list of shame when I get home. With pics.

I have never found this to be the case. I think the community there is broad enough that there’s no characteristic feel across the site. I stick almost exclusively to forums for the games I’m into and have, over several years, had an almost universally positive experience

Yeah, BGG is pretty tame compared to other gaming forums on the internet. My biggest problem with it is all the group-think that influences people’s opinions. It seems 90% of the attention is on mid-weight euros or FFG/CMON trash, with everything else stuck on the sidelines

Sorry I never connected with either of you, was hanging with a guy from my local group. Did you two play anything?

Overall, I had a blast, but one day for me is more than enough. Watched/played demos in the expo hall, bought some small things (Castles of Burgundy card game for my wife, some dice, a playmat) and took it all in. Also sat in on a couple of panels – including a great one with the creator of Pathfinder ACG, Mike Selinker, about building frustration into games so it is fun, but not, uh, frustrating. Met a game developer from Australia whose game was successfully kickstarted and then picked up by a publisher. Met the guys from Dice Tower. Met the creator of a game that I have already kickstarted and still await.

Hope PaxUnplugged stays around for a long time.

Unfortunately that just seems to develop in some places. I bailed on the general boardgame discussion thread over on Something Awful because of that sort of thing (it was a different group-think than you’re describing on BGG, but people would shit on you for liking things that were deemed not good by said group-think. E.g. Sentinels of the Multiverse or Eldritch Horror.).