Boardgaming in 2018!

Yes. They look like they might finally ship tomorrow. Asmodee wayyyy under estimated Keyforge demand. I didn’t even get my first ordered allotment of starters (got half). PM me and I can get one shipped to you!

Anyone here backing City of the Big Shoulders. I’m very interested but the 100 price tag is a little hard to swallow.

To be fair my old avatar was one of the first DSLR pics I took. My nephew about 12 years ago

I am tempted, but it seems like it will show up in retail too.

I hope. Right now they don’t have distribution.

Oh, I didn’t see that. I am pretty sure the KS stated that it had a 40% saving on MRSP.

You could back it at the 5$ for the fancy print and play?

I decided to go for the tier with the expansion. If it doesn’t go to retail and I don’t care for it I guess I can sell it at a huuuge markup…

Highest recommend Space Base

For a minute I thought you guys had forgotten to put out the tier 3 ships. I was all, like, what a bunch of n00bs.

Looks like whoever was on the bottom left of the photo went absolutely crazy with mining/terraforming! Since I can’t see the VP cube, I’m assuming that player won?

-Tom

As fiddly as those sliders were, in practice I tended to set my skill sliders once and rarely change them at all throughout the game with the notable exception of Luck when traveling to Other Worlds. Luck in Other Worlds is basically mandatory in AH2.

I also bought Space Base based on your recommendation and have played a few times with people from work. Well-liked, and bought by at least one additional person, so thanks. And the tutorial video was useful.

Yeah, my main complaint with them was one nudge of the card and they went all over the place. We house-ruled the upkeep phase to be part of the player’s action phase. It made things a little easier: ok, refresh your items, set your sliders, and go!

Tried this yesterday. Whoa. It looks like a simple “pick-up and play” game, but I got the feeling that in order to really experience it you have to go really deep in learning all the intricacies. You plan a move, but it can be thwarted by clashing on priority or movement. Really fancy. Completely different in play from what you think just looking at it. It also gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling of nostalgia from when we played a heavily modified version of Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game back in high school.

Going to the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society Con on Saturday; my first real boardgaming convention experience. Looking forward to it, heard good things about the event.

Well I went all in damn it. The game just looks good and different from any game I own. That and Pipeline make for an expensive ks month.
Still on the fence on Tainted Grail. I love the idea but I’m terrified it will fizzle out before I can even start a campaign much less finish it. Add to that the Ludicrous amount of free stuff they are throwing at it. That game will last a lifetime.

Hey, speaking of, the BattleCON developers got the Street Fighter license for their next Exceed season. I have a ton of Street Fighter nostalgia and have been looking for a reason to try Exceed, so using this as the jump off point.

Exceed is the simplified version, right?

I don’t think Exceed and BattleCON share mechanics to any significant degree but I haven’t played the former. What it definitely is is more random because you have a deck you shuffle and draw from, whereas BattleCON you have a hand of cards you combine and which then spend a couple turns unavailable before cycling back in.

That seemed to be a common thread with the first season of characters. The second season has gotten a way more positive response (and sounds like the characters are generally more complicated). Hoping it’s just a design space they’re getting comfortable in and everything going forward will be great.

Has anyone picked up Midnight Legion?

This is a interesting choose your own adventure with stats, skills, map, and combat. Only reading the rules so far, but seems like a very neat evolution of the old gamebooks! I like how the sixth sense skill is used to preview two of your choices, but it uses energy. Food regains you energy and health, but you have to find it! Spending energy in combat not only lets you increase the chances to hit but ALSO adds to damage.

The game centers around you regaining memories, which has a mechanic for it, and I assume they can also add to your skills or give you special bonusus based on some of the examples. You can also get equipment, and implants. Seems to have a lot of depth.

Based on our first and only play so far, very cool and unique game.

We played with @Ginger_Yellow @Kirian and one other, 4 players total. I played as the Goblins. Goblins have lots of area move cards and lots of melee which means they are strong as a close knit pack. I failed to recognise this from the get-go. Instead, fearful of their low HP, I deployed them separately close to raised areas and tried to play them as lone ranged snipers.

That play did not work well and I won anyway. Credit to most of my ‘wildcards’ allowing card draw, interrupts and use of any character coming up in bundles within the second half of my deck.

When I chose my distributed deployment zones I also passed a deck of very closely clustered VP card to the player on my right @kirian I figured having all his VPs clustered together might give him an advantage but also make him the king of the hill target. Neither became true! He could not deploy close enough to the VP crystals to hoover them up.

Pros
~ Faction asymmetry invites very different play styles and probably oodles of replay value
~ Miniatures are detailed and gorgeous even unpainted, but they deserve paint!
~ Interupts and next turn planning result in very little inactive downtime

Cons
~ Very tricky to recognize which figure belongs to which player once they are deployed
~ Also tricky to match figures with their character cards, you can ask your perfidious opponents but that might give them clues about your yet to be deployed character locations or cards in hand

I think top left won but am not 100% sure.

Game is on sale at Amazon for $26 so I grabbed my own copy. Looks like it’s back up to $32 now.