Boardgaming in 2018!

There are very few games I will spend extra money on an insert for:
Millennium Blades and Eclipse are two that are totally worth it. MoM I have 2nd edition game all the tiles and expansion in one box. I have 1st edition puzzles and cards in a 2nd box and the heroes and monster figures I have in a third box (that box pulls triple duty for Arkham Horror, MoM and Eldritch Horror.

The MoM “minis” are so huge (at least, their bases are) that they’re honestly too big for the game they’re built for, much less use in Eldritch Horror. IMO, anyway.

I’ve never spent money on box inserts or storage for any of my boxes. But I’ve made so many of my own. One of the perks of being a professional CAD designer for years.

I only wished I had done something to make them available on BGG. I think wistfully of all the GeekGold I could have made…

I’ve been quite busy reorganizing my X-wing collection into new storage lately. Partly for improved efficiency, partly because a post Christmas buying spree.

Craig,
I need to redesign my arcade machine let’s talk.

Would love to but

A) my specialty was paper packaging, hence boardgames

B) I changed careers 6 months ago

But if you want to design an arcade cabinet out of corrugated? Then I’m your huckleberry ;)

Sorry I am on mobile so missed this reply.

In case it’s not clear, Project Gaia isn’t just in the same family; it was made by the same guys who made Terra Mystica. It literally uses the Terra Mystica “engine”. In fact, if you know how to play Terra Mystica, there are only a handful of new things you need to know to play Project Gaia. I should have explained that’s mostly how it obsoletes Terra Mystica. It’s pretty much version 2.0.

-Tom

Played 4 new to me games tonight:

Formula D: We played with 10 people. It was a LOT of fun. And I won!

Formula D

Azul: Liked this a LOT. Will pick up a copy.

King Domino: Ditto, loved it. Will buy this and Queen Domino.

Dice Throne: Kinda dug it. Enough to kickstart the new version:

Dice throne pyromancer

Is Dice thrown 2 players only? I saw this game today (never heard of it) and it looked pretty. That’s all I know.

Played Edge of darkness with the designer today. Great guy. Very nice and did a great job of teaching the game. I was surprised more people weren’t playing. It looks like the kickstarter will give you a ton of stuff and I think it will do well, It uses his mystic vale card crafting system (adding cards to sleeves). You’re drafting and deck building a group deck that everyone uses, to gain money, influence and place workers. that said it’s not a co-op game. As players build cards other they will use each others crafted cards, paying to do so, and instead discarding them when used the owner of the card gets them back to use on their turn. There are monsters (threat) that attack when a dice tower spits out enough cubes (felt a little gimmicky). The cubes represent the players and whichever color has the most cubes is the player that will be attacked. There’s more going on, but it played smoothly. Still, it just didn’t grab me. Full disclosure I was exhausted so I would give it another try before passing judgement.

Oh, I just got it. Dice Throne. Thrown. Throne. You know, you throw dice. See how smart I am that I figured that one out.

-Tom

That board reminds me of Speed Circuit, which I inherited from my dad.

Formula D is simple and pretty cool. I think it’s better in long championships where individual luck streaks can even out, but even for a single race it’s sort of silly fun.

It’s so simple one of the assignments I sometimes give my students is to design an AI for it.

It was very simple, which made it great for playing with a few kids 8-12.

It sounded like Camel Cup and Flamme Rouge to me when they were setting out the rules, but I have never played either of them.

1v1 2v2 3v3 or free for all battle royale up to 6. We played 2v2.

You are ahead of me and I played it :)

I introduced Formula De to my boardgaming group a decade ago and we all pretty much love it - one guy in the group has purchased every track set produced for the current edition. It frequently gets pulled out as a ‘warm up’ game if some of us are there early waiting for the rest of the gang to show up. We all understand the game well enough that we can crank out a 2-lap, 5-6 player game in about an hour.

Several years ago, we actually ran a league- 10 games across successive weeks, time trials for starting positons in each race, weather effects, car building, the whole nine yards. It was awesome.

That’s a cool game; yes it’s old and you have to write stuff down, but I find it much more exciting than Formula D. Plus, 3 tracks on a single board!

It’s very different to both of them. Both those games are also excellent and easy to teach to friends and family.

Played Viticulture with Tuscany expansion yesterday. I felt Viticulture was a fairly average Euro, but Tuscany improves the game moderately. With Tuscany, it’s a tighter design, although I still feel the Visitor cards are a bit random and can be a little OP. Not my top Euro at the moment, but a pretty good game.