Boardgaming in 2018!

Dungeon Roll is 40% off on Amazon right now…only $12… Tempted to buy. Any thoughts?

It’s part of this massive sale! I have it but have not played it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/browse/ref=as_li_ss_tl?node=13580811011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ff79ced4-5db9-455b-bf03-bc212430c384&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=2241292011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=XWBXX5PV93P6H1DS662Q&linkCode=sl2&tag=thewingamres-20&linkId=3b0def97e246c36aa01529ebd4803486

They keep adding new stuff throughout the day as earlier deals sell out, keep checking!

It’s fun for a quick little diversion but I wouldn’t call it a must have game by any means. I liked the variety of characters though.

Anyone played Quantum?

Zombicide Black Plague is a Deal of the Day on Amazon for $54.64 down from the usual $79.99. Only 9h 17m left!

That’s part of the sale listed above. Expansions too

I’ve played it once. It bounced off me, hard. There was something about the mechanics I just did not like. The rest of my gaming group likes it, so I could be the outlier.

Thanks Mark. Passed this time. I bought way too much other stuff this sale. =)

Yeah, except it didn’t. I’ve played EH about seven times now, but I think I still prefer Arkham Horror. EH is fine, but it lacks the spiral of fatalistic doom and utter lack of hope of Arkham. Monster fights only last a single round…, gates MAY spawn (LOL)…, you can never auto-fail a skill check…to be hatefully blunt: it is for fuckwimps. I’ve never even gotten any where remotely close to losing a game of EH. 7/0 win ratio undefeated aka lesser old ones! The pressure just wasn’t ever there…It felt like Disneyland Lovecraft beginning to end ever time.

We lost our first four games of Eldritch and the latest two have only won by the skin of our teeth. YMMV.

Heh. Anyone who thinks EH is “easy” is nuts. We can mostly beat the base game with base cards 2 out of 3 times (and this is more than a dozen plays; it’s become a favorite of game nights)…but you add in the Forsaken Lore expansion and it becomes a (still very fun) march of doom to see how close you get before everyone’s dead or the world goes up in flames. (And yes, we win sometimes, but typically by incredibly narrow margins.)

In fact, it’s probably worth noting that it was during playtesting that the Eldritch Horror QA folks got so many complaints about the difficulty of the game, that they added the easy/normal/hard signifiers to the cards in the Mythos deck.

At any rate, beating Azathoth with four investigators/players who have a good understanding of the game mechanics (and a good blend of complimentary skills) is pretty do-able more often than not, unless you get horrific die rolls or nothing but tentacle Mythos cards. C’Thulhu and Hastur are who you should be going up against if you’re finding the game too easy.

I agree with both triggercut and malkav. EH is by no means “easy” but thankfully it isn’t punishingly difficult to the point of impossibility.

Roguefrog, I’m trying to work out what you mean by “gates may spawn.” Gates will spawn in Eldritch Horror due to every yellow mythos card should be spawning a gate based on the number of investigators. This is the issue with scale that was discussed earlier though where 1-2 players will have a harder time thanks in part to the number of gates spawning (1 gate) as opposed to 3 or 4 players that also spawn 1 gate. Likewise, some of the mysteries are more difficult than others - the Azathoth one where players need to match closing gates to the omen track to get a token on the card always annoys me.

My losses in EH happen too often because the mythos deck runs dry. Doom is rarely a problem, indicative that maybe I’m not taking as many risks as I should. But seeing that mythos deck steadily depleting, difficult rumours on the board to be attended to and the overarching mysteries to solve do more than enough to pressure the investigators. Or maybe I’m just a fuckwimp :p I’m fine with that, I like EH a lot because the difficulty is varied but a win is never guaranteed.

Yeah, I’m guessing anyone who thinks it’s too easy hasn’t tried to tune the difficulty level with the mythos deck. My preferred way of playing is with an even distribution of easy/medium/hard cards, so I can sort of throttle to the varying difficulty as it happens and avoid difficulty spikes from too many hard cards. Or, even worse, too little difficulty from too many easy cards. Although I must be a fuckwimp, because even then, I’ve found the game plenty challenging.

I also take random characters. Choosing an optimized party builds is for people who should probably just stick to deterministic Eurogames.

-Tom

Well all I can say is I’ve never lost a single game of EH in all my plays. Maybe Arkham Horror has honed me well, but there are objective mechanics that make it easier in comparison which I’ve already touched on.

I understand that EH takes out some of the more fiddle elements, streamlines other things and and introduces the genius of the flip card mechanic. I love that. I just never had the same harrowing experience with it to date.

Gates may spawn is significant. In Arkham a gate spawns at setup, and every single turn after…barring a monster surge…forever until you are dead or insane or win. It is a constant problem, and increments the end game with the great old one. This is central to the comparison between both games. Arkham is about closing (and sealing) gates, stemming the insurmountable tide…and EH is about globe trotting, maybe sealing gates, maybe fighting monster, but mostly solving mysteries. It is interesting but I found it to be really easy…because I never lost a single game (sorry not sorry)

Which expansions do you have? Later expansions add Mythos cards with some pretty serious side effects. Like "investigators lose the game.’ I have found that Eldritch is a game you think you have it nailed, and then a few rumor cards go into effect, or a bad reckoning phase, and suddenly you are scrambling.

I have not found that to be the case with Arkham. EH’s mythos deck acts a timer and we have lost games just burning through Mythos cards.

Arkham – base game with the a few expansion encounter cards – I find once you have enough unstable locations sealed, the game is done other than cleanup on the last few seals. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a terror counter past 5.

Barring a monster surge - or the location already having a seal, which a smart player will place in the most common gate spawn locations, meaning you’re likely to go increasing numbers of turns without gates. More gates typically spawn in my Eldritch games than in my time with Arkham.

Also there are plenty of mechanics that make Eldritch harder than Arkham - lower dice counts with the same success mechanics, clue tokens being desperately needed for mysteries rather than rerolls, investigators being permanently eliminated the moment they run out of sanity or health, just to name a few.

So I’ve picked up the Arkham Horror Card Game core set, and have played through (and failed horribly) the included campaign. I feel like I’ve been sold half a game (to be fair, I’m not new to FFGs shenanigans, and Tom did warn me), what do I need to get now to get the real game?

Pick up either the Dunwich Legacy or Path to Carcosa “deluxe” expansion (their packaging is nothing of the kind). That will add more investigators and player cards, as well as the first two scenarios in the respective campaigns. Proceed to buy further scenarios as relevant and affordable until you have played out the campaign. Do the other one next. Somewhere along the line, maybe pick up one or both of the side scenarios (Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horrors).

All the add-ons. I’m not even joking.

PM me your mailing address. I accidentally bought a second copy of the Carnivale pack that I’ll send you.

-Tom