Boardgaming in 2018!

Sorry, and thanks for the correction. Yes, Vlaada is awesome (he comes to Dice tower con) and unrelated. I fucked up, it’s on the publisher side. Matt Fantastic referred on his tweet to “Codenames Josh” and I had a mega brain fart and invented the pair as designers. Sorry again.

Matt Fantastic (@Prettiest_Matt) Tweeted:
PSA: Josh Githins, Codenames Josh, is a predatory sex creep. He serially manipulates, coerces, and abuses people. Accepting this is something I’ve struggled with a lot. But that’s not what’s important… We have to protect ourselves and our community. Full stop.
#BelieveWomen

And while I’m here, here’s the story about the Origins business:

And the Reddit thread which was by a woman complaining about the atmosphere in boardgaming in general:

Yup. This was my impression of of the game as well. Just not worth it to spend $15 per 90 minute scenario, only to lose it because the trick to beating it was at odds with what the narrative told you you should be doing.

But there wasn’t any enthusiasm or replay value to try it again. A big part of the appeal was the story and not knowing what was going to happen next. Once those are gone, why not play any of the other, better Lovecraft co-op games? They’re ore of a dollar value, and much more replayable. Unless you absolutely have to own every single LCG.

If you missed out on the 7th Continent, they’re having another sale thing. Copies of the boxed game are limited, expansions (which haven’t been printed yet) are open availability.

https://seriouspoulp.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d3c311237001b3b15c16e8fc1&id=ac0ff1add9&e=4437cec39e

Dammit. I successfully resisted this once already, and now I have to try to do it again?!?

I can help.

The game isn’t that good and takes forever to play.

There.

But it is kind of unique and interesting, and you can easily save whenever you want to resume later.
Sorry. ;)

Yep, I’ve enjoyed both curses I’ve played so far, and the “save” thing is easy to do and set up again.

My daughter really wants to play some kind of adventure boardgame. I don’t think she’d have the patience for this though. And it’s expensive!

Did you play them solo? That I can understand.

Yep. It’s a solo game, he said putting on his Tom Chick “All co-op games are solo games” hat. ;)

I have been curious about this. It’s cheaper than Guderian’s Blitzkrieg!

It’s a very, very narrative-heavy game. The storytelling aspect is where a lot of the appeal lies.

My wife and I have enjoyed playing it as a 2 player co-op.

Does it have hexes?

Uh…squares? That are cards?

If you want a fantasy adventure boardgame that has hexes, and is actually good, you can play Magic Realm. You’d like it, it’s got Don Greenwood style rules. (Although, really, it doesn’t have hexes, that’s a lie. The tiles are hex-shaped, but use area-movement inside them).

Oh, I’ve been playing Magic Realm since I was 12. Ok, I played it for the first time when I was 12. The last time was when I was maybe 16. But I still have my copy on my shelf.

Just because I was thinking about it, here it is, underneath a bunch of other Avalon Hill flatbox games in the basement. I know @tomchick has been searching high and low for a modern successor to Magic Realm. I wonder if he ever found it?

As a dummy who accidentally told the 7th Continent Kickstarter campaign to wait until everything was ready and send it in one shipment that won’t be ready until fall 2018 (now winter 2019, apparently), this means I have the option to pay the additional $8 for shipping to get the first half early instead of waiting.

I think it also means I don’t have to deal with the misprinted cards. Apparently the first batch of cards had noticeably different shading on the backs of some of the more important cards? That would have driven me bonkers.

-Tom

They are legion. The trick is which ones are good…

-Tom