Boardgaming in 2018!

yeah, I would love to play High Frontier, but unfortunately it is not available … Merchants of Venus maybe?

I think I skip First Martians for the moment … it just looks confusing and restricting, for example I cannot build a greenhouse unless the mission allows it … hm.

I have an idea for a boardgame mechanic, what do you think? Or maybe it is already implemented, please let me know. Here’s the idea: Fake, biased dice. You roll dice, but the dice are truly biased, so as a player, you have the option to swap dice, for example the distribution of a 1d6 would favour certain numbers more than others. When do you swap? Or maybe if you have identified those dice, you could use them for specific tasks/rolls like when you need to roll low, you could use this one where you thought that it rolled lower than others …

I think biased dice could be used as a cool mechanic … Would this even be technically possible to bias dice in certain ways?

I played Detective for the first time tonight, just the first case, and I think it might actually be…awful?

I’ve never played another game like this, so I have no context from whatever the Sherlock game is some of you mentioned. Maybe this is a whole genre I’m never going to like, I don’t know. I’m not going to spoil any of the actual case at all, and I’ll keep the mechanics of it vague too.

First of all, yes, the writing is painful. A whole lot of it is truly filler that you can just skip, and what’s left is a lot of dry info dumps, with only the occasional bad writing that’s also important. So I can live with it, but I would rather it not be badly written, certainly.

When it comes to finding information it feels like it’s mostly luck. Maybe the three of us were bad enough we don’t even realize what we were doing wrong, and people who are truly better “detectives” than us would come away feeling like it made sense, but that wasn’t my impression. I don’t feel like I learned anything by the end of the game about better ways to make decisions.

As a co-op game, it’s co-operative in the same way trying to pick a restaurant with your friends is co-operative. Everyone’s just making their case for what we should do next, but there are no game mechanics in play to govern anything. It’s just about reasoning, arguing, and talking through what you know and what you think. And in light of my last paragraph, what’s the point? We didn’t slowly work out a logical approach to our investigation, we didn’t come to realize any of us were particularly good at sniffing out the right leads to pursue. It mostly just came down to very basic guesses about the worth of particular narrative threads, and some obvious attempts to manage our in-game time (the ultimate limit on the scope of your investigation). If you’re all clueless (like us), you’re all clueless; and if one of you turns out to have some insight into how this game works, I can’t think of anything for anyone else to contribute.

Finally, the longer I thought about our game, the less I understood why it’s a table-top game at all. Their website is absolutely required for some of the logging, tracking, and occasionally revealing of evidence, and ultimately how your completed investigation is judged.

For what it does provide, it’s frustratingly inadequate. It’s hard to easily compare information–profiles of people, for example. If I find out someone said so-and-so was 5’6", I just have to click back and forth between the web pages for the people we’ve discovered one at a time to remember if anyone we’ve already encountered fit that description. In that regard, it would literally be easier if there were just physical cards you were given for the people of interest so you could spread them out on the table, or even better, pin to a bulletin board and start connecting with red yarn. The game encourages you to write things down, but it feels simultaneously silly and necessary to essentially copy the information down verbatim from your website database to have any hope of easily referencing it.

On the flip-side, many of the physical parts of the game seem like busy work when there’s a website right there tracking this stuff. You’ll draw a card that will tell you to enter some codes into the site as a result to “enter” that evidence or information into your databases, which, okay, fine, whatever, that works if I don’t think about it for very long. But other times, you’ll have an option to investigate that is an action you initiate through the site, which then tells you to draw a card, which then has a code you turn around and enter back into the site. WHY? It was around then that it slowly started to occur to me there’s no good reason for any of the physical components of this at all.

Everything is completely deterministic, so why are you telling me to fish card number-whatever out of this deck at all? Why isn’t this entire thing happening through a (better designed and organized) website?

I understand you could stretch that question to really apply to any board game, but it felt like a pretty legitimate question here after an hour or two of thinking about it.

And as a final note on the website aspect of it, I suspect you will be very frustrated if you only have one laptop or tablet or whatever. All three of us ended up with our laptops out at the end (as many people as you’d like can be logged into your instance of the game) because it’s much too cumbersome for one of us to drive with everyone else wanting to jump back to a different file or scroll up–no wait, back down–etc. I suppose you could use your phones too, though that’s going to be a little tedious in its own way.

So yeah, this didn’t work very well for me. I would not recommend it. However, I am curious enough about it that since one of us already owns us, and we’ve already gone through one case, we might as well give it another case or two to see if it grows on us.

Finally, a question for anyone who has played it. We failed our first case.

When you fail, you’re given two choices for what to do next time: “reset” the case (in the website) and replay it, or accept the failure and move on to the next one. It’s unclear what’s at stake here though. I realize this may be hard to answer without spoiling anything, but can someone give me a vague idea of how much these cases build on each other? Is it “bad” to move forward with a blown first case, are we going to make an already confusing game even worse as we continue? That’s my fear on one hand, but on the other hand, replaying the case feels sort of counter to the spirit of the game. There are plenty of aspects of the investigation we don’t know anything about, but the things we did do on our first playthrough, we know will play out exactly the same way next time. Any recommendations from other detectives out there?

That sounds like DRM to me. Can’t have you playing their game without having the physical components.

Same with 2nd edition Mansions of Madness. You could run the entire thing off the app except the card effects are only listed on the physical cards.

Now Compass Games, purveyors of some fine wargames, are getting into the Euro Games business:

I was a little confused and thought we were looking at a new version of:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-593-colonial-europes-empires-overseas.aspx

I liked Colonial. I still need some more Struggle of Empires games in so I can compare them a little more.

Second mini attempt. I am still making mistakes but having a ton of fun, and I think I am improving. I’ll always be that kid who could never color in between the lines tho =)

Power armor mini by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Needs more grimdark.

Seriously, though, that’s cool! I always marvel at folks who have the patience for painting minis. Like, did you actually do some kind of highlight for the eagle symbol on the gun? And is there some sort of trickery with his mouth grill? I would have just sloshed a few colors onto it and called it a day!

-Tom

LOL I clicked on your name by mistake, saw that spider, and thought HOLY CRAP, that’s some amazing painting!

The more I play Dungeon Degenerates, the less I dislike the color palette. Its like building up your resistance to a psychedelic drug, but in reverse. The more you take, the better it gets.

-Tom

Thanks Tom! I put a base layer of tan on the gun then a silver top coat over the emblem, trying not to let paint seep down the sides. The mouth is pure silver paint, but using a black wash of nuln oil. Washes are great for making noobs like me look better than we are, it puts neat amounts of black into the crevices.

Example here:

You can do the inverse of washes too and use drybrushing. I rely heavily on this for miniatures. Paint flat black everywhere, then use the top layer color (say silver on that mouth grill). Put paint on the brush, wipe it on a paper towel about a zillion times until you can’t see hardly any paint coming off anymore, then lightly go over the black. It’ll color the raised areas and not the lower. Works awesome for things like chainmail/etc too.

Played another two scenarios of Massive Darkness today. We’ve done scenarios 0 through 5 now, using the Story Mode rules. Since my friend and I are both pretty hardcore min/max types, that means that we are now both pretty massively geared up for the last 5 scenarios. My Paladin of Fury is rocking a complete set of the Knight’s items and has pretty much become the fantasy equivalent of a Tiger tank. It’s possible that we’ve broken the power curve but the highest enemies we’ve faced so far are level 4, and a couple of Greater Roaming Monsters. Once we start facing level 5 enemies, it might even out.

Anyway, I’m enjoying it mostly for the power progression and for the relatively decent streamlined tactical combat.

We’re talking about graduating on to Gloomhaven once we finish the campaign.

This is the main complaint of Massive Darkness, the power curve hits fast. Many house rules to curb the gaining of items and levels so quickly.

I am not convinced that CMON spends an enormous amount of time testing their games.

I finally played Root over the weekend. We played a 3 player game with the cats, birds, and Woodland Alliance. The learning curve was a bit tough, and I found it especially challenging to teach since I had to explain both the general concepts as well as teach each player their own game which comes with all kinds of exceptions to the general rules. I came in a bit unprepared and didn’t have the strongest grasp on all of the rules, so we got some things wrong and there was some frustration in understanding what other players were capable of. By the end of the game, everybody had a good grasp of their own factions but still didn’t quite understand what the other players were doing.

Overall, I enjoyed it and I think the other players generally did as well. I expect it will become more fun once everybody has a deeper understanding of how the factions work. While the mechanics are relatively simple, there are lots of interesting decisions to make. I love how the cards work in this game. You’ll be looking at the suits of the card to use them to power your engine/faction abilities, but each card also has different ‘crafting’ abilities where you can instead spend them for points or add special abilities that can be used later. It’s a simple system but it gives you a lot of options and things to think about.

I am convinced that they do not spend an enormous amount of time testing.

Massive Darkness was so cool and so close that I have spent many, many hours tweaking the rules to what I really enjoy as an almost rogue like dungeon crawler in board game format.

I am now hoping that they don’t botch Zombicide Invader. At this point, I have passed on a few projects of theirs as I just don’t trust them to make games anymore. CMON is full on fat Elvis era as they spam half baked projects that gain momentum off of well engineered FOMO that rests on the laurels of some medium good to good games in the past.

I feel that more than “hoping players don’t do something, so you can”, it’s more seeing how the game is developing and stopping winning players from running away with it. There seems to be a kind of symbiosis in Root where every player has to do their part to maintain the balance. I agree that the game is more reactive instead of proactive. It reminds me of Small World in that way (one of my all time favorites). You want to be careful to not jump out too far ahead of the pack, and you’ll need to figure out a way to put yourself in a place that you can sneak out a big burst at the right time.

I haven’t played enough to know how well this works within the game in the long run.

Their Zombicide games have always had these complaints. Every one of them has tons of people in their respective bgg forums explaining how easy they are to “break” and suggesting fixes for those problems. Considering their success, I’ve just assumed people who visit BGG aren’t really Zombicide’s audience. I’m not convinced those style of games are trying to deliver tightly balanced co-op experiences. They’re still kind of fun if only for power spikes, handfuls of minis and rolling tons of dice. Which I’d guess is what their fans are there for.

I love most of the other games they put out, though. Especially Blood Rage, Rum & Bones, Rising Sun, Arcadia Quest, and Dragon Castle. If it’s a CMON game that’s not related to Zombicide, it still deserves a look for me.

I love the colors of that game, that manual, that box cover. Something just insanely crazy about that art. Still have not played it though… Just got Skies above the Reich…and KDM…not enough time.