Boardgaming in 2018!

We played Darkest Night Second Edition for the first time tonight. I’ve played the original edition with various levels of expansion both solo and with this group before, so it wasn’t a complete novice thing or anything. But it had been a while and there have been a few tweaks, not to mention much nicer components, which made it feel meaningfully more cohesive and approachable. For one thing, a number of mechanics were added over the course of the original edition’s expansions, and these were scattered across several rulebooks and none of them were reflected in the base game components. Since the second edition integrates all the expansion content, all of these things are now part of the default gameplay (though there are optional rules for playing without them if you enjoyed an earlier incarnation of the design) and reflected as such in both rules and components. I personally felt like they were all distinct improvements for both play and thematicity, so I’m happy to see them fully centered in the design. For another, perhaps I’m forgetting some expansion rule or other, but I think the “spark” mechanic is new to this edition and it is yet another improvement. In short, heroes can earn (but not trade) up to three “sparks” at any one time. By default, they can be spent to add an extra die to any roll that hero is making, but they are also referenced by quests, mysteries, events, powers and probably artifacts, whether to earn or expend them. They don’t have an earthshaking effect on the game, generally speaking, but they are a welcome bonus and offer some exciting additional options with the right powers. (I can’t see ever taking the Meditate action to earn a single spark in exchange for my entire turn, though.)

We ran a party of Mercenary, Channeler, Priest, and myself as the Seer. The Mercenary wasn’t, by the end, massively more capable of fighting than either myself or the Channeler (at least, when the Channeler was Astral Surging), but his ability to trigger additional benefits on the defeat of blights, particularly with the Wand of Contagion artifact the Priest discovered in the old Ruins, made for some ridiculous combos and generated a significant number of the powers earned all game. The Channeler got a Weeping Ring that let him teleport around the board and recharge powers when the rest of us took his and could pull off some beautifully crazy stunts with surges at the right time. My Seer was handing out sparks like candy with Promise (which takes an action to give every hero a spark at the cost of one Secrecy and exhaustion), warping fate with the Prophecy of Forks, racking up search successes with the automatic searching of Dowse and a surprisingly badass fighter with Destiny and a magical War Horn. Really the only one of us that wasn’t shining like crazy was the Priest, and that’s because the player wasn’t really exploiting his powers to their fullest (he tends to take a bit to get to grips with games, particularly because he has reading difficulties, so it’s not surprising). Still, he cleared a fair number of quests so he was still putting the work in.

We ultimately finished by the Mercenary chain-killing a whole field of blights and then passing the one relic we managed to unearth to the Channeler to finish off the Necromancer himself. (I tried my best to help clear the field but my dice failed me.) We just had really…terrible? luck with searching. Which is to say, we succeeded a bunch (especially with my Dowse power) but ended up with a lot of artifacts and magic items and power cards and a grand total of two Mystery draws all game, despite repeated searches in Mountains, Forest -and- Ruins. By the time we hit even 10 clue points the Necromancer was at over 20 Darkness, and that despite at least 10 points of Darkness reduction and zero accelerants. So it was combat or nothing.

Is there a lot of player interaction during each player’s rounds? In my limited experience, modern wargames are sometimes designed for face to face play, and sometimes they assume most play is going to be via Vassal/email or split among several laid back sessions (when the game takes +20 hours you need a different approach).

If it’s not very interactive, it might make for an excellent forum game. Just saying (hint, hint).

While I can understand Time of Crisis feeling fiddly next to games like Blood Rage, we never really had the issue you’re describing. The steps of a player’s turn are clearly marked on everyones player aids, and like half of them only apply to certain situations. Also, to make the game flow better, we follow the manual’s advice and start the next player’s turn while the current player is buying cards. I actually really love how everyone has to make a “crisis” roll at the beginning of their turn, since it brings everyones attention back to the game.

We recently played this game again, and had a blast. I think its one of my current favorites, though I can understand how its not everyones cup of tea. The game really opens up more once you have played it a couple times and understand when to cooperate with the other players.

Good point! The round structure reminds me of Through the Ages which similarly has every player perform all the steps of a round on their turn. I really don’t like Through the Ages in person on a table, but I love playing it online via email (or push notifications on phone). I could see Time of Crisis being a better experience by email for me!

So fun, thanks for sharing! I hope my copy shows up soon!

And it’s here! :D

Hooray!

looks like some Gloomhaven are back in stock at Amazon for $133.
I totally want to pull the trigger, but until I can make sure I know who I can play it with - I’m gonna hold off.

https://www.amazon.com/Cephalofair-Games-CPH0201-Gloomhaven-Board/dp/B01LZXVN4P?tag=qt3-20

If you’re looking to get it, you might want to pull the trigger. Turns out he printed twice as many copies as he had on the second Kickstarter, and they’re sold out to distribution via preorders. So they might be in the channel for a little while, especially for customers who put in big preorders, but they’ll be gone quick- retailers are reporting they can’t get restocked. He’s getting a third printing going, both there’s a lot of parts, probably won’t hit retail for six months or more.

And I just bought Gloomhaven. Damn you all.

$133 on Amazon at the moment (I followed the mention above a couple of days ago but it was already sold out).

https://www.amazon.com/Cephalofair-Games-CPH0201-Gloomhaven-Board/dp/B01LZXVN4P/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1517583878&sr=1-1&keywords=gloomhaven

You (probably) won’t regret it!

One of us! One of us!

Our party, being paragons of good behaviour, got to reputation 10 last night and got to open the first new class box (Sun symbol). Hopefully someone can retire a character soon so we get to open the damned town record book.

Gloomhaven is so freaking awesome. Even if you never play it with others, @BiggerBoat just reading about the game and sorting the parts and getting things ready and doing some solo campaigns is worth the price of admission. Even getting one other person to play with you blows the thing wide open though. I think this weekend I’m going to talk my son into playing a random map with me while we wait for the campaign to start (late Feb).

Oh, yeah, I’m dragging my wife into this experience. She’ll humor me.

Have to find a place to store that box, though. May need to move.

You’re gonna need a bigger box.

Having recently received, but not yet played, Gloomhaven, I’ll be spending some time tomorrow putting together my overpriced Broken Token organizer. It’ll be an exciting afternoon!

I was going to edit that in, but figured I’d give someone else a shot at it.

Speaking of which, what are you Gloomhaven-ites doing for component storage? That Broken Token organizer seems cool but is back-ordered and hella expensive.

This article seems reasonable: https://boardgamebuds.com/the-top-3-accessories-youll-want-for-gloomhaven/

I unboxed everything and found that using zip-lock baggies (labeled) for the enemies and map tiles is okay for now. Digging out stuff doesn’t take too much effort, and all the baggies fit in the box under the board and manuals great, and the map tiles on top.

I mentioned it above, but I didn’t like the dials for HP/XP tracking so used little dice instead. Those fit great in the box as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Dice-d6-Sets-Opaque/dp/B0011WHL4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517343337&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+six+sided+dice&tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

https://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Dice-d6-Sets-Opaque/dp/B0011WMADQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517343328&sr=8-2&keywords=red+six+sided+dice&tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

Once we get into a regular game I may find I need to do some tweaks to what baggies have what and maybe I’ll pull the sharpie out and do more labeling, but so far it seems to be fine for setting up solo games and the like.