Boardgaming in 2018!

Nah, you’ve got it pegged.

Me too. just concerned it won’t get played enough to warrant a purchase. I have enough 4 hour plus games that i really like.

My Arkham Horror 3 pre-order shipped today!

Just started playing Eldritch Horror so I’m kind of interested in the newer version of Arkham…had the 1st edition and it was just too much.

I assume you actually mean the 2nd - the first edition of Arkham Horror debuted in the early 1980s and was barely more than a roll-and-move. (I’ve played it, and was not impressed. FFG worked wonders in their revamp.) :)

Where is the ignore button on this thing

Hey, I like ticket to ride. Got a couple versions. Not my favorite, but for a quick 45-60 minute game that everyone knows, it does the job. Perfect for those nights when we want somehing low impact to play while drinking beers/ ciders and watching a movie.

Same here. Quick setup, easy to play. It’s our go-to “we only have an hour left” game.

Yes, for us it’s shifted to King of Tokyo mostly, but different games for different moods. But for years it was the game we played when we wanted to play Railways of the World, but don’t have the time for a 3 hour medium heavy weight game while wrangling kids. TTR could fit the gap.

I just sold a copy of the Marklin edition for $100 to a guy in Hong Kong who then paid $68 for me to ship it. This Ticket to Ride game must be really good!

That edition has been almost impossible to come by for nearly a decade. It’s considered one of the ‘better’ versions.

You did well, they largely reimplemented it with TTR Germany. There is some streamlining, and gameplay tweaks, but identical map and broadly similar approach using passengers.

It sells new for $40.

I’d play Thurn & Taxis before Ticket to Ride, and I don’t even like T&T that much. TtR would probably be my go to game if I had too many friends and wanted to cull the herd. Sadly, that is not my problem.

Switching topics to good games, my copy of Sol that @tomchick made me buy has arrived in time for me to make people play it over the holidays.

I knew you’d all tease me about Ticket to Ride, but I’m glad I finally played it just to see what it was like. I’d play it again with my friends if they wanted to; but I’m not interested in owning it for myself or suggesting anyone play it. It was the right choice for Saturday night with people (myself included) who wanted something we could learn quickly.

If it makes you feel any better, I was the only one (rightly) teasing you. These other guys are weird.

Fellow weirdo speaking up. Ticket to Ride is one of my favorite games and I can’t imagine it leaving my collection. Few games get me as incredibly stressed as TtR, and I tend to tightly couple stress and enjoyment.

I also enjoy TTR and play it fairly often on my ipad since I have a bunch of the expansions. It might be difficult to play the base game now that I’m played with the other ones.

Gaming with some partial gamer family members this weekend. Every time I introduce them to a game they tend to enjoy it, even go out and buy it. I’m bring Sagrada which goes over very well with non-gamers.

I’d like to introduce them to a worker placement. Any suggestions. I have time to run to Coolstuff and buy something if it’s not in my collection.

Of all the Uwe Rosenberg games I liked Caverna best.

It is still very Uwe, for good and ill. But the theme, and adventuring side, make it a little more interesting.

Tzolkin and Russian Railroads are my favorite pure worker placement games. Neither are great with non-gamers (though I’ve had decent luck with Tzolkin there!). Seems like Raiders of the North Sea and Champions of Midgard are the current most popular worker placement games to play with non-gamers. I haven’t played either of them but heard good things!

Champions of Midgard is about building up to big dice combat with monsters.

Raiders of the North Sea has a simple twist on traditional worker placement where you’re placing workers or going on a raid. Otherwise looks pretty standard but pretty.

Picked up Western Legends at my local game store! Cant wait to get it to the table. Saw that Batman: The Animated Series – Gotham City Under Siege just hit store shelves and was tempted to grab that to, but only if people were interested in playing it, got enough games I can’t get people to play :)