Boardgaming in 2019!

Another South East London game day report and renewed invite to you. Join us! Ping me if you would like to join an ever evolving group of video and board gamers that meetup at my place regularly for gaming. I serve pizza and have a tray in my freezer that literally never runs out of magnum ice creams :-P

We played . . . . Root! With 6 players and therefore both expansions. The deeply asymmetric factions and cohesive woodland theme had huge appeal (helps that I live next to a park with potentially warring squirrels, birds and foxes). Learning to play was a bit of a challenge but helped a lot by a paint-by-numbers first two turns starter guide included with the game and good player guides.

Useful to know a bit how other factions work but if playing for the first time I would suggest players focus on learning one faction well and worry about the others later. Also, Birds are tricky.

We played two games back to back sticking with the same factions which worked very well. Within the second game - playing as the rebels / guerrillas / woodland alliance I found myself realising that there were things I should be doing that I had no concept of in the first game.

Downtime with 6 players is . . . . not terrible. Individual turns are fairly swift and planning time for your next is useful.

Also played, Decrypto! Happy to rate this as one of the most fun to play light filler games. Clever and tricky but not a brain burner and funny when your own team completely misinterpret your word clues and you have to keep a straight face whilst you watch them screw it up! Just as much fun to lose as it is to win. Great game.

Also pizza. Shout to @Wendelius and @Ginger_Yellow and some non-QT3ers!