Boardgaming in 2019!

That’s a fair point. But I would argue the area control is a relatively minor gameplay system. It’s there, sure, and it accounts for two of the victory point stars, but it’s much more of a race than people throwing elbows at each other.

That said, it certainly looks, and sometimes feels, like an area control. You’d certainly infer as much from the mechs and heroes and eventually zeppelins. But to my mind, it’s more of an engine builder.

-Tom

Pretty much. I’ll add to it that with how little you do during your turn, you would think turns would be quick. That having to wait your turn, you would have your turn planned out by the time it came back to you. But thanks to that adjacency recruit bonus mechanic, you’re forced to pay attention to others’ turns when it’s not yours instead of planning.

It’s a game that got significantly less enjoyable once people started to actually play to win. The Krimean faction is ridiculous (and are vitually unbeatable with the Patriotic mat). The Poland faction’s strength is entirely dependent on player count. The mats are unbalanced. The expansion factions are finnicky and super hard to play for very little benefit.

I think you’re right. If it was just wooden blocks on a board without the artwork, it would have fizzled.

Like everything else on the board, actually. In particular, your resources are all physically located on spaces and can be captured.

Oops, typo. Should be “can’t”.

My advice. Do a runthrough with Viticulture first before bringing in the Tuscany expansion. In my opinion, Tuscany expands on Viticulture in a positive way. Better yet, the Tuscany expansion is modular, and I introduced my group slowly to the new things - started with the new board, then added in buildings, and finally the unique characters. I think Viticulture plus Tuscany is an excellent, laid back game to play with enough going to be engaged for the whole duration.

Learned last night I really don’t like Tiny Epic Western…

The Tiny Epic games are so hit or miss, aren’t they? I liked Galaxies well enough, and Kingdoms probably holds up as a bantamweight elbow-thrower race-to-win game. Tiny Epic Zombies is just trash. Sheer trash. Tiny Epic Defenders is pretty blah…until you add the Dark War expansion, which gives it tons of personality, replayability, and interesting challenges. In fact, Tiny Epic Defenders with Dark War is, to my mind, the best Tiny Epic anything.

Out of curiosity, what’s wrong with Westerns?

-Tom

It just wasn’t fun for me, and took too long to play to begin with. It’s pitched as a 30 minute game and took us over 2 hours.

New games this week:

Play Mat for Outer Rim:

And while not exactly a board game, the Star Wars Legion Clone Wars stuff came out:

I own all of the Tiny Epic games and continue to support them on Kickstarter (related: Tiny Epic Dinosaurs is being funded right now), but have only gotten to play Kingdoms, Galaxies, and Zombies (which I liked more than Tom did, but haven’t rushed to play again). Galaxies was the only one of the three that actually fit their thirty-minute playtime the first time through, but the others definitely felt like they could hit that playtime if everyone at the table already knows the rules.

I enjoyed Galaxies a few times. Didnt like zombies. Didn’t. Buy any others.

Score! Brand new in shrink!

Clipcut Parks looks horrific! All those people and animals fleeing in terror from giant marauding sentient scissors. Chilling stuff.

-Tom

For me it’s the ones who are still oblivious to the threat. I have to assume the scissors are sharp and well oiled, so there’s only a quiet slicing sound to warn them of their impending bisection.

So I’m the only one who sees peaceful scissors being terrorised by a biker gang?

Looks like a soft reboot of that stupendous 90s tv movie version of The Langoliers.

Needs more Bronson Pincho .

Apparently that game comes with scissors and a major mechanic is cutting paper into pieces or something. I’m not sure what to think.

That it sounds like a game tailor made for grade schoolers?

I dunno, hadn’t thought about that one before. But that’s an interesting approach.

Oh, man, it is. You cut out little pieces of paper and cover squares on cards. That seems great until somebody sneezes, or turns on a fan, or there’s a light breeze.