Boardgaming in 2019!

It’s the man-bun isn’t it? I bet he’s brewing a sweet jalapeno IPA, brah.

Welcome to your local hipster brewery. Your choices are IPA, hoppy, hoppy IPA, or hoppity hopp hops.

IPAs and “hoppy” are the Two and a Half Men of beers: something supposedly hugely popular yet I’ve never met a single person who actually enjoys it.

My local hipster brewery’s “wacky” IPA contains “the taste of freshly cut grass clippings”.

That is the actual menu quote. Yes, it tastes exactly like that.

Riff-Raff is an older game.

It is a crazy dexterity game. If they kept the old pieces its very well constructed (all wood). If you like dexterity games this one is pretty basic, but fun and teetering ship looks cool.

I’ve played Roads and Boats. Only with two players, though. I enjoyed it, but it is hectic. I think “The Settlers as a board game, but you can steal other people’s shit” describes it well. I am not sure it is a game I’d buy, but I would love to play it again.

Of the Splotter games I’ve played, Indonesia is my favorite by a long shot, but I’d rate Roads and Boats and Antiquity about the same. Meaning that they are interesting and unique experiences that it is hard to predict if someone will like.

I played R&B a bunch back in the day, too. It is interesting, and fun, but yeah, fiddly as hell. I like Antiquity best of their games I’ve played, but Indonesia is great, too.

So add Indonesia to the list with Antiquity and Great Zimbabwe for Splotter games that I might foolishly spend $100 to buy if I’m not careful?

-Tom

Indonesia is a pretty brutal economic game. I can’t remember if you like those or not.

Antiquity is suuuuuuper fiddly with a million tiny counter and small hexes you put them on. And towns you fill with buildings and tombstones of your dead people. It’s great.

I haven’t actually played Zimbabwe or Fast Food Franchise yet.

The Great Zimbabwe is my favorite. I can’t find a copy at the moment but will be throwing 100 down for a reprint as soon as I can. It’s a lot simpler and quicker than their other games, but no less fascinating.

I’m so sad now. “Witch Hunt” with Dennis Hopper doesn’t appear to ever have been released on DVD or available for streaming anywhere. I sense the influence of Shub-Niggurath!

Yeah, that’s why I’ve never seen it. Though I wonder if Scarecrow Video has a VHS or something…

I’ll be cruising around Reunity Games convention in Danvers, MA tomorrow. Just look for the handsomest guy there!

Went and built a print n play version of Blood on the Clocktower (a social deduction game similar to werewolf). The Grimoire acts as a fairly neat DM screen and player layout and status info keeper. Fairly easy to make the pieces for the starter set, with my weapons of choice, Super 77 spray glue and a carpet knife. felt backed everything to prevent slips. We have a test game tonight with 6-7 friends to prepare for next weekends Octoberfest and hopefully 12 + players!

I didn’t know this was a thing:

But I’m pretty dubious that Terra Mystica needs this expansion.

that is pretty neat. Let us know how it goes.

New games:

Finally back in stock after a long absence:

Do you get people playing Armada much at your store?

Nope, no Armada at my store. I have customers that buy the stuff though.

Man, I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but Fireball Island just sounds like an awful place.

I didn’t know they were making another legendary alie…oh covenant. Nevermind.

Yeah, kinda my reaction. They don’t actually need to be good movies to be good games, admittedly, but…