Boardgaming in 2019!

Are you still in UK? If so, I might be able to help you out based on the opinion from our friends who are enjoying their own copy.

Hey up.

I’m here for about ten days, sorting out some reserve forces stuff for next year.

I should have transport soon, so can come to you if need be.

Also, if memory serves, you were running the board game meetings right?

That would be @Lykurgos. I’m a mere guest at those awesome boardgaming and culinary experiences. :)

Ok. Will take it to PM. Depending on where you are and whether the wife will kill me based on price, I might also be able to come meet you.

Thanks for the summons @Wendelius!

@BloodyBattleBrain our gaming group is of glorious QT3 origin, including Wendy, @Ginger_Yellow and some dormant or ex-forumites.

Please do PM me to see if your visit might coincide with a game day. I can say now that we intend to game on 15 December.

Adding an invite to any others who fancy joining a regular gaming group for mostly weekend gaming. We meetup 1-2 times per month at my place in Canada Water area, London, are expert at buying and learning new games but pretty hopeless at mastering any of them because oooh look shiny new game!

Yeah, I’ve been keeping my eye on it. Rhado loved it so that’s kind of an instant buy, but heavy cardboard has a play through online. I plan to watch it at some point just to confirm. I’m embarrassed to think what I have spent this year on kickstarters and the year isn’t over. Still have Great Wall and I’m debating whether to actually pick up Etherfields. I’m worried it is going to be too much like Tainted Grail and then they have Vanguard coming too.

Yeah, I backed this one at the fancied-up tier.

Last night I chose to watch Tom play Phoenix Point instead of watching Heavy Cardboard play Legacies (or playing my copy of Phoenix Point), but they talk a pretty good game.

Yup, me too.

Obviously I haven’t played Etherfields and my Tainted Grail experience is quite limited, but far as I can tell they are quite different. Tainted Grail involves map exploration on a timer with limited resources, and encounters are resolved through playing chains of cards that connect at various points on the cards. It also has a big encounter book you read from and personalized character stories. Etherfields involves exploring independent dream-logic scenarios (linked by a world map) and tactical encounters with movement and actions governed by playing cards for one of three symbol types (and special effects). I did not get the impression that the characters had specific narratives (you build them from flashbacks) and it looks like the stuff that Tainted Grail uses the book for are also cards in Etherfields.

You guys are braver than I am! I’ve gotten burned too many times by first-time boardgame designers. :(

-Tom

I’ll take a chance on this over another dud from Stonemaier Games 🥁.

But yeah, I see the risk.

You know the game’s main claim to fame is that it won the Stonemaier Day competition or whatever?

Yeah :)

Shhh! I’m still hoping to discover that Tapestry is a real cool solitaire score chase.

-Tom

Well, that’s what it is even if you play with other people.

Thanks, I’ll be here all week! Don’t forget to tip your server!

Based on my one play, I suspect that is the best way to play the game.

Completely understand and agree. That said, I also backed City of the Big
Shoulders after much debate. Best decision of the year.

I backed a game called “Rival Restaurants” earlier this year and it arrived yesterday! I love the art style, and the fact that the game can play up to 8 (I have serious challenges keeping a game night to less than 6 or 7 individuals because so many people want to come play) is a huge appeal.

The “real time” aspect of the game seems like it might get chaotic, which I don’t personally mind (and sometimes even enjoy). Dice Tower ran a preview of the game back in January that breaks down how it works pretty well, but I still need to take some time to read the rules myself.

Anyone else back this one? What are some of your backed kickstarters that you can’t wait to get your hands on?

That guy in the middle like

I was very close to backing that one. Seems like it would be great fun with the family. The art style is pretty cool as well.

Unfortunately, I’ve been on a “be good with Kickstarters” mission this year. I backed Vindication around the same time, so I skipped this one.

I’ll be curious to hear what you think of it. If it comes to retail and gets a good buss, I might get a copy.

Until my last two KS board games show up at my front door, I am on pause but…

This is me. I usually have 5 or 7 and 8… too few games can accommodate this. When we hit the bigger number like 12 for the end of the year gathering kind of thing, plenty of good board games so I am curious about this one.

I sure hate seeing those plastic tokens though. I find them to be awful overtime and every time.